News   Apr 19, 2024
 443     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 588     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 989     3 

miWay Transit

^ 61A Mavis-Sheridan is an all-day route.

Brampton Transit planners don't necessarily represent the City of Brampton.

And I'm not really sure how MT's cancellation of 101 service 4km beyond its borders through the edge of farmfields and subdivisions to a power centre at the edge of Oakville is an example how it is holding regional transit back. But whatevs.

Brampton can afford to run its north-south routes into Mississauga because its routes are shorter. For example, 5 Dixie and 18 Dixie are the same length, even though 18 Dixie goes way beyond its borders. Plus, Brampton doesn't have to serve Islington with multiple routes.

Even with the cancellation of the 101, Mississauga still provides way, WAY more bus service beyond its border than Brampton, and that won't change even after the 502 is introduced and the 19/202 are pulled back to 407. The 501, 2/502, 7, 11, 14, 18, 101, etc. don't even come close to 1/101/201, 3, 11, 12, 20, 22, 26/76, 35, etc. in terms of the total amount of service beyond the border.

Last edited:
Updated website with NEW renderings for the western stations (Erin Mills, Winston Churchill):

http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/miway/brt

Hope there are bigger pictures of these renderings.

BRT_ErinMills_2.jpg

BRT_ErinMills_3.jpg

BRT_ErinMills_1.jpg

VERY suburban.

What's with all the GO signage on this MT project?

It has been a GO thing long before Day one for this project. Its a GO thing, not an MT thing.

Everything east of Sq One is MT while everything west of Sq One is GO, since there is less cost for GO to pickup there.

The City of Mississauga's MiWay transit staff, want to thank customers by holding a customer appreciation event on Clean Air Day, during Canadian Environment Week.

"We want to thank all of our customers for using MiWay and for helping to keep the air clean and protecting our environment," said Geoff Marinoff, director of Transit.

According to Environment Canada, one bus can eliminate 40 vehicles from the road, save 70,000 litres of fuel and keep 168 tonnes of pollutants out of the atmosphere each year.

Customer Appreciation Event

When: Wednesday, June 8, 2011
6 to 9 a.m.

Where: City Centre Transit Terminal (Square One)
200 Rathburn Road West
(Rathburn Road and Station Gate Road)

What: MiWay staff will be at the City Centre Transit Terminal to greet customers and present them with a token of appreciation

http://www.mississauga.com/news/article/1024555--bring-a-buddy-on-transit-on-canada-day

Bring a buddy on transit on Canada Day
Chris Clay|Jun 09, 2011 - 11:28 PM

While public transit in Mississauga won't be entirely free this Canada Day, as it has been in years past, it's going to be the next-best thing for riders.
Council passed a motion on Wednesday to allow children in grades 1-8 to ride MiWay, the City's transit service, for free on July 1 when accompanied by a fare-paying passenger. As well, those with transit passes (weekly, monthly, annual or u-pass) and residents paying with cash or tickets will be allowed to bring a rider along for free.
It's a change from last year when transit was provided entirely for free and, in 2009, when there were free rides in the evening.
A report circulated to councillors noted that the free transit initiative last year created "a significant spike in demand that overwhelmed the system," causing a couple of problems: it took much longer than usual to travel and it left a poor impression with riders using the service for the first time.
Ward 9 Councillor Pat Saito pushed for the motion, saying the City should make it easy for people to get to festivities.
"For this year, because of the opening of the square (Mississauga Celebration Square), we want to get as many residents as possible to come and enjoy the celebration," said Saito. "I think this is one way to make it accessible for people who maybe can't afford to bring their whole family on transit or don't want to drive down to get them here to enjoy the day."
More than 100,000 people are expected to descend on the City Centre on Canada Day. Events start at 1 p.m. and will end around 10:30 p.m. following the closing fireworks show.
To help buses get in and out of the area, the City will be closing Rathburn Rd. from Duke of York Blvd. to Centre View Dr. and will have police directing traffic. Traffic caused issues for buses last year.
"One of (the) biggest problems we had was getting buses out of the City Centre area and back to pick up people," said Martin Powell, commissioner of transportation and works, adding the road closure and police presence are expected to keep the buses moving.
MiWay will also extend service hours that day and will keep a number of buses on standby to help if the crush of riders becomes overwhelming.
"The experience wasn't great and the delays were so long," said Powell, referencing last year's Canada Day. "I think this (plan) provides a balance."

Whoa! That's a huge improvement and very unexpected, considering that TTC is reducing service during the summer. Probably the biggest improvement for MT since before the recession.

Good thing for 61 Mavis! From 33 min to 24 min during Saturdays and 50 min to 36 min during Sundays are not bad at all!

Lakeshore is the biggest surprise here for me with frequency increase in all times (except evenings and one-minute frequency increase in Sundays). From 26 min to 19 min for midday and Saturdays are really great. Rush hour from 17 min to 14 min is also great.

IMO, 109 serving Square One will make the route viable and even more deserving for a sustainable, risk-free 7-day service. Meadowvale + Erin Mills + Square One + Subway + Express Service = a definite 7-day hit to riders.

I always thought that 28 should be straightened up, while 61 south of Square One and 62 merge together to form a 7-day bi-directional loop serving Cooksville with one of the two directions touching Dundas. That loop would be the new 62. But oh well, they introduced the 91, which is OK, because it is an overall improvement for Mavis corridor, plus it differentiates the two different alignments for Mavis. So Cooksville passengers should now know that 61 is only for weekdays and 91 is only for weekends.

And Mavis south of Square One will see their Saturday frequencies go down from 33 min to 40 min, but their Sunday frequencies go up from 50 min to 40 min. So that's a net improvement right there.

I always thought 38 and 38A should go together simultaneously 7 days a week, but I guess there are not enough passengers to warrant this as of now.

This is a huge one. September 2011 will also be a huge one. The August change will probably be a minor one as summer school service ends.

Last edited:
Don't forget about the frequency improvements to 5, 16, and 36 last time too. And there were frequency improvements to 11, 42, and 61 even before that.

Lakeshore is not surprise to me. The only surprise is how long they waited before doing this.

The only reason 61 and 91 were separated was because of the ridership difference. As for 28 and 66, I expect them to be merged eventually. I would be surprised MT left these separate.

109 actually has decent ridership already as is. Serving Sq One will only make it better. And of course it fits will BRT plan better. The 107 still needs to be taken off Matheson though.

YRT and BT get all the attention, and MT not only gets ignored but is also subject to the most criticism, but MT still has the best service and ridership, and it has actually been quietly and steadily improving service ever since the ridership started to recover. Must be recovering very well because the improvements are becoming more substantial. And of course the improves with help ridership recover even faster, leading to even more service.

Don't forget about the frequency improvements to 5, 16, and 36 last time too. And there were frequency improvements to 11, 42, and 61 even before that.

Lakeshore is not surprise to me. The only surprise is how long they waited before doing this.

The only reason 61 and 91 were separated was because of the ridership difference. As for 28 and 66, I expect them to be merged eventually. I would be surprised MT left these separate.

109 actually has decent ridership already as is. Serving Sq One will only make it better. And of course it fits will BRT plan better. The 107 still needs to be taken off Matheson though.

YRT and BT get all the attention, and MT not only gets ignored but is also subject to the most criticism, but MT still has the best service and ridership, and it has actually been quietly and steadily improving service ever since the ridership started to recover. Must be recovering very well because the improvements are becoming more substantial. And of course the improves with help ridership recover even faster, leading to even more service.

I find if funny because generally speeking more ridership doesn't bring in any more money if even minor improvments are made. The total % of revenue (including subsies) that comes from fare boxes is pretty small.

Just as I expected for the divvying up of the Dundas BRT corridor operations. Halton will take care of the western side (Brant to Trafalgar), while Mississauga will take care of the eastern side (Trafalgar to Kipling). Maybe the rationale for cancelling the 101 is that there are not enough prospective passengers (only one side of Dundas is filled in) to justify the 20-minute service it provides. So, they will wait for the northern side to fill in and/or for high-density development on the Uptown Core to kick in.

http://www.insidehalton.com/news/article/1024806--bus-rapid-transit-topic-of-meeting

Bus rapid transit topic of meeting

Halton Region is holding a drop-in public information centre about a Dundas Street bus rapid transit corridor from Brant Street to Trafalgar Road on Thursday, June 23 from 6:30-8:30 p.m. at Halton Region headquarters, north/south auditoriums, 1151 Bronte Rd. in Oakville.

Last edited:
I find if funny because generally speeking more ridership doesn't bring in any more money if even minor improvments are made. The total % of revenue (including subsies) that comes from fare boxes is pretty small.

And I find it funny that you think that 51% of revenue from the fare box is "pretty small". But if you really want to believe that the loss of over 3 million riders and over 6 million dollars in revenue each year hardly affected MT financially then that's up to you I guess.

Great news for MT! Especially the 109 (I take that pretty much daily) as this may mean full day service is just a short while away! The only concern I have is that this detour is going to add like 20 minutes (at least) to the trip during rush hour until the brt is done.

YRT and BT get all the attention, and MT not only gets ignored but is also subject to the most criticism, but MT still has the best service and ridership, and it has actually been quietly and steadily improving service ever since the ridership starhttp://urbantoronto.ca/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=528746ted to recover. Must be recovering very well because the improvements are becoming more substantial. And of course the improves with help ridership recover even faster, leading to even more service.

What about YRT? What attention has it got besides the construction of the "rapidways"? Sure, MT gets a lot of criticism, because until last year, the system was in a state of benign neglect, with cutbacks, schedule changes resulting in illogical, non-clockface headways, and its inept management of the Hurontario corridor. But finally, there should be two solid sets of improvements this year (this one being the first), so credit is due.

Brampton got a lot of attention because it introduced its own BRT-lite brand, which has been quite successful so far, but in every year since 2005, there have been major service improvements and the ridership growth to match, but before 2005, it was itself in a long period of benign neglect.

YRT is the worst offender these days, partly as it sucks up so much attention with its capital works, yet is has allowed its conventional transit system to lag. The only worse system is quiet, unadventurous, neglectful, Durham Region.

What about YRT? What attention has it got besides the construction of the "rapidways"?

YRT got a lot of attention for introduction of VIVA back in 2005. A lot of attention. It has always overshadowed what MT and BT has done.

Sure, MT gets a lot of criticism, because until last year, the system was in a state of benign neglect, with cutbacks, schedule changes resulting in illogical, non-clockface headways, and its inept management of the Hurontario corridor. But finally, there should be two solid sets of improvements this year (this one being the first), so credit is due.

MT made major improvements every year in the years 2005 to 2008.

Even just considering recently, this is certainly is not the first time there has been a "solid improvement" in the system. Next month's service changes are comparable to the improved frequencies last May. And then there were the service changes in December, which saw the 19's midday frequency increased to 5-6 minutes, and the rush hour frequency of the 66 increased to 15 minutes. And before even that were frequency increases for 11, 42 and 61.

I think you proved my point about the lack of attention given to MT's improvements. MT's system has vastly improved since 2004, but you say it has been in a state of "benign neglect". But truth is, MT actually added more service than either Brampton Transit or YRT since 2004.

Back