News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 382     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2.1K     1 

miWay Transit

MiWay will make you Pay - for a transit map!

Hidden in that document justifying fare increases (for little service improvements despite a new, shiny brand) is a recommendation for charging $2 for a transit map.

MiWay is a great modern-day example of "the emperor's new clothes"

MiWay is a great modern-day example of "the emperor's new clothes"

So true... rebranding themselves, doesn't count as a service improvement... for the past week now, just about all the posted scheduled times at terminals have been been wrong (atleast at islington station). I called them about it and they're aware of it...they just don't care.

Limiting access to transit maps... that's sure to be a great way to encourage more people to take transit, and thus improve fare revenue and allow MT to provide even better transit service. Good thinking, MT. Maybe MT should charge money for access to their online maps and schedules as well, like $1 per map download, or $1 per schedule or something.

It's the 'VIVA' philosophy of transit improvement: branding, fancy buses and facilities, and higher prices, to give the illusion of a premium service, without actually having to provide a premium service.

Hidden in that document justifying fare increases (for little service improvements despite a new, shiny brand) is a recommendation for charging $2 for a transit map.
GRT has been doing that since at least 2006. I'm not sure about the new MiWay ones, but the GRT ones are much better quality and actually last compared to the standard TTC/MT ones.

I just don't see why anyone would pay $2 for a transit map for Mississauga. I think more people will just bus drivers for directions and slow the buses down, if they don't just download the map online or look at maps posted at the bus shelters. Even free, these things aren't exactly flying off the shelves to begin with...

Btw, there was a paper sent to bus drivers that was scanned and posted on the CPTDB board suggesting that Hurontario will see off-peak express service starting this spring. Maybe that means the weekend 19 will be more like the weekday service (i.e. no artics), which makes sense considering the shortage of artics on 1 and 26.

Also, the report talks about "revised schedules" for major routes, and hopefully that means some service increases. Remember, last May they increase service on the 11 and 61 after higher than expected ridership in 2009, and in 2010 MT's ridership is also way higher than was expected in the budget, so maybe there will some decent service improvements.

Looks like a bunch of cancelled trips on the 201 Dundas (3 eastbound, 1 westbound). Even a 101 Dundas trip was cancelled. Why is ridership on Dundas declining?

Looks like a bunch of cancelled trips on the 201 Dundas (3 eastbound, 1 westbound). Even a 101 Dundas trip was cancelled. Why is ridership on Dundas declining?

Basically, some 201 trips were replaced with 101 trips. The 101 lost one trip, but it also gets a some new ones (including an extension of a partial trip), even if you don't count the ones shifted over from the 201. It seems like a small increase in service overall for Dundas: 5 trips cancelled, but 7 trips added, and one partial trip made into a full trip.

Some hilarious quotes about transit and other things during a presentation of the upcoming budget. I took the liberty of highlighting the dumbest/funniest comments:

Residents balk at budget

Louie Rosella

January 12, 2011

When Mississauga residents were told this evening they could be paying close to $140 more on their residential tax bill this year, their reaction was predictable.

"People have had it up to here with taxes," said an infuriated Maxwell Stuart after the City hosted its first-ever budget open house at the Living Arts Centre. "Because of all these increases, I can no longer afford to live in a house. I have to rent in Port Credit."

Close to 100 people, including Mayor Hazel McCallion and former councillor Carolyn Parrish, showed up tonight to hear presentations from City manager and chief administrative officer Janice Baker, City treasurer and commissioner of corporate services, Brenda Breault, and the City's director of finance Patti Elliott-Spencer. It included a report on the budget as well as the City's business plan.

Homeowners will be looking at an eight per cent hike next year on the City of Mississauga portion of their property tax bill.
The anticipated 2011 increase, works out to $90.76 on the average home.

The City's portion of a property tax bill represents 28 per cent of the total bill, with the remainder split between the Region of Peel (47 per cent) and provincial government, for education (25 per cent).

With the Region expected to hike taxes by 2.5 per cent (according to City estimates), or $47.47 on the average home, and no increase anticipated at the provincial level, the average Mississauga taxpayer will likely pay an additional $138.23 in 2011.

Ward 8 resident Joe Mancini questioned why so much of the taxpayer increase, more than a third, is going to fund Mississauga Transit when the cost to operate it far exceeds the revenue generated.

"Most of the buses are pretty empty and now we're going to add more costs," he said during question and answer period. "This is going to impact our revenue and reserves."

Another resident says he looks out his window nightly and sees buses pass by with one person inside.

"Quite frankly, it might be cheaper to hire a taxi to get that person home," he said.

Mississauga Transit Director Geoff Marinoff said it cost $130 million last year to operate transit, while revenue brought in $56 million. But, he added, this ratio is either better or competitive with neighbouring transit systems.

Marinoff also said that "empty buses" are a sad reality.

"Depending on where and when, you will always see empty buses," he said. "Even the TTC has empty buses."

Elliott-Spencer and Baker said the tax hike is appropriate.

"Front-line services are being maintained at existing levels," Baker told the crowd. "We've learned there is no appetite for significant service level cuts. In some areas, in fact, there's demand that they be increased."

"The cost of delivering municipal services is increasing (while) some of our program revenues declined with the economic downturn," said Baker.

Some residents criticized the 20 or so per cent in tax dollars going to Mississauga firefighters.

Baker agreed that the fire service is "an expensive insurance policy," but said its invaluable and can't be cut.

"We wouldn't get away with it, from a provincial monitoring perspective or a union bargaining perspective," she said.

The crowd also became restless when it was revealed the City is forecasting tax increases of 30 per cent over the next three years.

But, Baker said those are worst-case scenario forecasts and shouldn't be taken as gospel.

Included in this year's tax increase is a one per cent infrastructure levy, which was not part of last year's budget after City Council voted to temporarily remove it.

Labour costs are estimated to increase by about $15 million, officials say. That, coupled with revenue shortfalls in areas such as transit use, development charges and recreational user fees, as well as increased costs for fuel and material, were identified as some of the reasons for the proposed increase.

Also included in the budget is a proposal to increase recreation and parks facilities/programs user fees by 2.5 per cent and a recommendation that Mississauga Transit fees be increased in April (by as little as five cents on seniors' tickets and as much as $30 on an annual seniors' pass).

The final budget goes before City Council on Feb. 9.

lrosella@mississauga.net

http://www.mississauga.com/news/article/928603--residents-balk-at-budget

^I think what you see above goes to show that, if not for the freedom it affords citizens, democracy is actually a pretty shitty deal.

I see riders cannot not read the sign on the shelter west of Islington that is out of service since Jan 10. Saw 3 riders standing there tonight at 10:30pm and no way is a bus going or able to stop there in the first place. The sign on the shelter is very large with large fonts.

Not sure if the poles going up at Islington Platforms are the same size as the system ones, but on the overkill size.

October and November 2010, ridership is up 8% year over year.

Routes 19, 1 and 26, 3, 5 and 29 account for just over 40% of all MT ridership. No surprise except for 29.

MT is requesting extra funding next week at the budget meeting for more funds for more service on the weekend. About time.

I was too tired after doing TTC meeting to go to this budget meeting, which happen to be the first one that allow the public to speak on it. Not surprised about the question or statement on the empty buses and I have a good one liner come back for that statement.

^I think what you see above goes to show that, if not for the freedom it affords citizens, democracy is actually a pretty shitty deal.

Luckily there isn't democracy in Mississauga, so these people won't have much impact...

Routes 19, 1 and 26, 3, 5 and 29 account for just over 40% of all MT ridership. No surprise except for 29.

Don't you mean 13? 13 and 29 are practically the same route, and the 13 has much higher ridership... I think the old 13 and 48 combination had even more the new 13 and 29 combination.

MT is requesting extra funding next week at the budget meeting for more funds for more service on the weekend. About time.

I was too tired after doing TTC meeting to go to this budget meeting, which happen to be the first one that allow the public to speak on it. Not surprised about the question or statement on the empty buses and I have a good one liner come back for that statement.

It is funny how no one complains about empty roads at night, or how retail businesses operating for profit are willing to stay open at times when they are few or no customers, but when transit has empty buses it is a "sad reality". Those words are from the director of MT, wow.

The proposed weekend service improvements was one of Hazel's promises after she was elected, so it will probably be approved.

Unsure if this has been posted already:

Weekend service (depends if funding is available):
http://www.mississauga.ca/file/COM/...l_Weekend_Service_Improvements_Suppl_Info.pdf

- 35, 4, 8, 14 will get Sunday service. (Personally, 51 should be extended to Dixie Mall via Tomken-Dundas-Stanfield-North Service-Dixie-Dixie Mall. That way, it will guarantee 7-day service. I think is the only route in the system that does not connect to any terminals.)
- 65 will get Saturday service.
- Burnhamthorpe might get a frequency increase on both Saturday and Sunday.
- Extended Saturday service hours on 18 routes, extended Sunday service hours on 14 routes.

Express service:
http://www.mississauga.ca/file/COM/BC_Service_Presentation_Transit.pdf

- Humber will be served by 107 sometime this year.
- No word on 102 extension south of Square One. So 102 would be basically redundant without the extension south of Square One.
- Derry is highlighted, but no word on when it will commence.
- Bramalea Express is also highlighted, but no word on when it will commence. (I personally hope it's on September, depending on the availability of the blue buses. But if there's none available, then it should start as 205 temporarily until it gets the blue buses. But it looks like none of those will happen.)
- Dundas corridor study might begin sometime this year. (This gives me confusion. If Halton wants BRT all the way which is already at the advanced stages in Metrolinx, how could Mississauga change that if it wants an LRT on its segment?)

Last edited:

Back