News   Apr 19, 2024
 343     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 672     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 737     1 

miWay Transit

I'm reminded of this quote from a Reddit post in r/urbanplanning.
The citizen activists that I engage with end up doing a lot of talking insulated in their own web forums without much of anything translating to policy change.

@BhadPetrov @TorPronto A worthwhile idea. If there's not a suitable group already out there, we should start one!

Is MiWay still planning to make a new garage near Meadowvale? I heard rumours back in 2018 about it, but I wanted to make sure it was true or not.

Is MiWay still planning to make a new garage near Meadowvale? I heard rumours back in 2018 about it, but I wanted to make sure it was true or not.
It goes back as far as 2011 and keeps getting deferred and still is.

The idea was to have a similar site as Malton to cut down on deadheading cost.

Can’t they at least expand the Central Parkway area? I heard CX has to park there buses side-ways towards the East Entrance in order to fit all the buses. They can also park the buses at the dead-lot, and have all decommissioned buses parked at Malton untill there removed, I’m not sure if it’s a good idea but it’s kinda the only way untill they do something about it.

Can’t they at least expand the Central Parkway area? I heard CX has to park there buses side-ways towards the East Entrance in order to fit all the buses. They can also park the buses at the dead-lot, and have all decommissioned buses parked at Malton untill there removed, I’m not sure if it’s a good idea but it’s kinda the only way untill they do something about it.
They have expanded Central Parkway 100% from what I have seen and heard. Malton is too far away and next to no room for more buses.

It the cost of deadheading buses to/from CP to X routes that can be save by having another garage. You are looking at close to $200 per bus daily for deadheading and then you have to add the cost of driver changes as well the wear and tear on the bus and the driver change car.

One reason TTC is spending money to rebuild Hillcrest as a yard for 512. A 512 car loose a hour each way to/from the Roncesvalles yard with a cost of $300 per trip each way. 40 x $300 = $12,000 a day x 6 = $84,000 a week in lost production.

^Well I mean hey, at least they're better than Hamilton which only has one Bus Garage and has been "planning" for a 2nd one for decades with no sign of it ever being built.

That for a city triple the size of Oakville for example which also has 1 garage, however Hamilton has a higher (but declining) ridership compared to them.

It always struck me as strange how Mississauga only has one full-service transit garage (the Malton satellite doesn't operate on weekends or holidays), while Brampton is now building its third garage.
Malton also stores decommissioned buses at the South east parking lot, they stored the retired D60LFRs untill they were removed to City View Bus sales, Mississauga Bus Coach repair, Beeton Auto Wreckers and a few more I think.

^Well I mean hey, at least they're better than Hamilton which only has one Bus Garage and has been "planning" for a 2nd one for decades with no sign of it ever being built.

That for a city triple the size of Oakville for example which also has 1 garage, however Hamilton has a higher (but declining) ridership compared to them.
Hamilton probably has a small fleet that’s why.

Last i checked they have ~250 buses, so its a large fleet. Just not as large as Miway's fleet.

Hamilton had two garages - the Wentworth Garage (a relocation of the old Sherman garage, which started out as a streetcar barn) and the Mountain garage. The Wentworth Garage was built and opened while the HSR still ran trolley coaches, but refused to wire the garage itself, so it retrofitted auxiliary diesel engines in the E800s (the newest trolleys it had, dating from the mid 1970s), so the buses could dewire upon entering the garage property.

By the mid 1980s, HSR management got really bad, letting service and ridership decline further than it should have given deindustrialization of the Lower CIty and suburbanization. The trolleys (which once provided very frequent service on King and Barton and good service on Cannon) were replaced with CNG buses. Eventually, everything was consolidated in a single garage on the Mountain, though GO used Wentworth for a while since. Today, the Wentworth Garage is used by the city's public works fleet.

Hamilton finished the EA and detailed design for their second garage last year, and has submitted funding through ICIP. They also finished an EA for the main access road to make it two way and address other issues.

Hamilton finished the EA and detailed design for their second garage last year, and has submitted funding through ICIP. They also finished an EA for the main access road to make it two way and address other issues.
Now here comes the fun part, how many years will it take them to actually build it and get it running?

That saga has been playing out for more than 20 years, much longer than Mississauga's plans for a Meadowvale garage.

Now here comes the fun part, how many years will it take them to actually build it and get it running?

That saga has been playing out for more than 20 years, much longer than Mississauga's plans for a Meadowvale garage.
It was formally proposed as part of the Rapid Ready fleet strategy in 2013, and since then the City has procured land, undertaken an EA, completed (or nearly completed) detailed design, have funds allocated in the municipal capital budget and DC background study, have applied for $190 million in federal funding, have a Contract Administrator on-board once the money comes through, and is undertaking works to improve the primary access to address flooding and substandard bridge clearance. Nearly all of this has happened in the last three years. I'd argue that they're moving forward fairly aggressively.

Back