News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 634     0 

miWay Transit

Peel Region's been putting up the expanded signs and paint at all of its right turn slip lanes as part of its "Vision Zero" program. I'd rather see the slip lanes/channelized right turns disappear completely instead.

This ^^^^^

Funding for the Lakeshore BRT announced today! $55.5 million

Along with other Mississauga transit programs....
I haven't heard if any funding has been found for the 450 buses over the next 3 years considering the 2003 buses are entering their 18 year of service in place of the normal 15 with a number in the dead line. The 2005 are entering their 16th year and will be 17 when retire at present time. There are a lot of dead end buses from 2003 to 2017 that need to be replace as well having a spare ratio to have buses on the road to meet schedules for them.

Very common to see the wrong bus on the wrong route as there isn't enough buses on hand to keep the express on the express route or local on local routes.

Funding for the Lakeshore BRT announced today! $55.5 million

Along with other Mississauga transit programs....

Bit of detail from that release:

Construction of a New Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Corridor along Lakeshore Road in MississaugaConstruction of a dedicated two-way bus rapid transit corridor on Lakeshore Road with three new stations between East Avenue and Deta Road, as well as separated bike lanes and sidewalks. The new bus rapid transit lanes will support a growing population along the Lakeshore Road corridor.$21,800,000$18,164,850$15,535,150

Also this tidbit was of note:

Enhanced Stop Amenities for Priority (Express) Bus CorridorsInstallation of up to 88 new transit stop shelters along four Frequent Rapid Transit Network Bus Priority Corridors in Mississauga will improve accessibility and comfort for transit customers. The large transit stop shelters will be fully heated with accessible doors and new digital signage, improving the quality, safety, and accessibility of the public transit system.$14,720,000$12,265,440$9,814,560

Enhanced Stop Amenities for Priority (Express) Bus CorridorsInstallation of up to 88 new transit stop shelters along four Frequent Rapid Transit Network Bus Priority Corridors in Mississauga will improve accessibility and comfort for transit customers. The large transit stop shelters will be fully heated with accessible doors and new digital signage, improving the quality, safety, and accessibility of the public transit system.$14,720,000$12,265,440$9,814,560
Does any know what corridors these will be in? I'm imagining that they will be very similar to the ZUM stations in Brampton

Is Dundas BRT already funded? It seems odd to fund Lakeshore BRT ahead of Dundas. As I understand it, Mississauga requested funding for Dundas BRT at the same time as Lakeshore.

Is Dundas BRT already funded? It seems odd to fund Lakeshore BRT ahead of Dundas. As I understand it, Mississauga requested funding for Dundas BRT at the same time as Lakeshore.
They still need to do an EA for Dundas and does it cover the section Toronto?? The cost and timeframe most likely did not meet the Fed timeline for completion.

A full BRT ROW is only needed to Mavis and express west of it to Waterdown..

They still need to do an EA for Dundas and does it cover the section Toronto?? The cost and timeframe most likely did not meet the Fed timeline for completion.

A full BRT ROW is only needed to Mavis and express west of it to Waterdown..
The Dundas BRT was part of the Investing In Canada Infrastructure Program (ICIP) funding request and it includes BRT lanes from Confederation to Etobicoke Creek for the first phase. The project does meet the criteria for timeline otherwise it would not have been submitted in the first place. What was announced was not Mississauga's full funding allocation so it is very likely the higher levels of government are holding back announcing some of the bigger projects for PR exposure. The ICIP transit funding stream is allocation based on ridership, so municipalities get a fixed allocation.

Does any know what corridors these will be in? I'm imagining that they will be very similar to the ZUM stations in Brampton
These enhanced stops will be installed at stops on Derry, Dixie, Eglinton and Erin Mills/Southdown (Clarkson GO to the Transitway). The stop locations are noted on the map below, with 44 stops chosen (44 x 2 = 88 shelters)
Mississauga priority stops map.jpg

Interesting that they are not putting enhanced stops along Winston Churchill for the 109. Typically, those stops have groups of passengers waiting throughout the day.

Otherwise, nice to see future express service for Eglinton. The missing stops at the east end makes me wonder if this route will be a successor for route 87, where it makes a diversion and runs along the Transitway from Dixie Station to Renforth Station.

Interesting that they are not putting enhanced stops along Winston Churchill for the 109. Typically, those stops have groups of passengers waiting throughout the day.

Otherwise, nice to see future express service for Eglinton. The missing stops at the east end makes me wonder if this route will be a successor for route 87, where it makes a diversion and runs along the Transitway from Dixie Station to Renforth Station.
While the map labels it as "Express corridors" in other documents it is referred to as "priority corridors" where additional infrastructure such as queue jump lanes could be installed. I would not necessarily take that as an indication Eglinton will receive express service, being very close to the transitway.

February 22, 2021 service changes

Route Changes

44 - long term detour routing due to watermain construction on Mississauga Road. Detour via Burnhamthorpe, Erin Mills, and Eglinton. Schedules will be revised to accomodate the detour and buses will serve all stops along the detour routing (note: will not service Erin Mills Station)

53 - extended to Cooksville GO Station via Hurontario Street. Route will access Cooksville GO via Hurontario entrance and exit via Hillcrest. Deviation to Paramount Centre during off peak periods is eliminated. Slight changes to frequency to accommodate revised routing.

70/71/108 - routes changed to no longer use 60' buses with 40' buses used at all times.

Additional COVID service changes

29/36 - Will use Saturday schedule on weekdays (30 minutes frequency all day). Route 29 and 36 will interline.

43/87 - Reduced from 22 to 45 minutes frequency. Routes 43 and 87 will continue to interline.

109 - Weekday rush hour frequency reduced to 15 minutes.

In addition to the above, the usual minor trip/schedule changes to various routes.

https://www.mississauga.ca/miway-transit/service-changes/feb-22-2021-service-changes/

While the map labels it as "Express corridors" in other documents it is referred to as "priority corridors" where additional infrastructure such as queue jump lanes could be installed. I would not necessarily take that as an indication Eglinton will receive express service, being very close to the transitway.

February 22, 2021 service changes

Route Changes

44 - long term detour routing due to watermain construction on Mississauga Road. Detour via Burnhamthorpe, Erin Mills, and Eglinton. Schedules will be revised to accomodate the detour and buses will serve all stops along the detour routing (note: will not service Erin Mills Station)

53 - extended to Cooksville GO Station via Hurontario Street. Route will access Cooksville GO via Hurontario entrance and exit via Hillcrest. Deviation to Paramount Centre during off peak periods is eliminated. Slight changes to frequency to accommodate revised routing.

70/71/108 - routes changed to no longer use 60' buses with 40' buses used at all times.

Additional COVID service changes

29/36 - Will use Saturday schedule on weekdays (30 minutes frequency all day). Route 29 and 36 will interline.

43/87 - Reduced from 22 to 45 minutes frequency. Routes 43 and 87 will continue to interline.

109 - Weekday rush hour frequency reduced to 15 minutes.

In addition to the above, the usual minor trip/schedule changes to various routes.

https://www.mississauga.ca/miway-transit/service-changes/feb-22-2021-service-changes/

I understand cutting 5 min service to 10; or 10 min service to 15, in light of low demand.

But cutting not stellar 22m service to abysmal 45 is going to drive away riders.

Not wise.

MiWay will be adding additional service to Cooksville GO for the April 26 service changes. This follows route 53 being extended to the station effective yesterday (February 22).

Route 4 will be extended to Cooksville GO via Mavis Road and Hillcrest Avenue, replacing route 91 service along Hillcrest. The route will no longer serve Huron Park Recreation Centre.

In addition, route 38 will operate to Cooksville GO via Dundas, Confederaton and Hillcrest. Having routes 4 and 38 serve Cooksville GO gives a proper terminal point for both routes without a on-street loop and better driver washroom facilities.

In addition, route 6 will be modified in the City Centre area to serve the full length of Webb Drive.

With all these changes, route 91 will be eliminated as most of the routing will be covered by routes 4 and 6.

I understand cutting 5 min service to 10; or 10 min service to 15, in light of low demand.

But cutting not stellar 22m service to abysmal 45 is going to drive away riders.

Not wise.
I realize I'm late to this post, but the 2 routes cut from 22 to 45 minute service (route 43 and 87) largely duplicate existing routes in the MiWay network and cater to a commuter/worker crowd that is almost non existent during the pandemic, so the frequency reduction does make sense and will have little impact as there are alternative options available.

Back