News   Apr 24, 2024
 912     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 607     0 

miWay Transit

Minimizing transfer times means one transfer maximum. One north-south route and one east-west route, and no more. And that means having a complete grid.
One 40 mins transfer is enough to turn away a potential transit rider. You cannot control all the buses from all four directions to arrive at the intersection at the same time so some rider will always miss the bus by a few mins, which means they will not even want to make that trip.

Vaughan has 4 continuous east-west corridors: Major Mackenzie, Rutherford, Highway 7, Steeles. And Steeles has no YRT service. That means Highway 7 is the only continuous east-west YRT corridor south of Rutherford. That is not a complete grid. You can increase the frequencies of the north-south routes as much as you want, it won't mean much unless there is more than one east-west route south of Rutherford to connect to.
On coverage, YRT has major routes every 2km in the southern region,
North-south routes:
9-Line, Markham Rd, McCowan, Kennedy, Warden, Woodbine, Leslie, Bayview, Yonge Bathurst, Dufferin, Keele, Jane, Westen, Islington, Martin Grove
East-west routes:
Dension(Markham), Highway 7, 16th/Rutherford, Major Mackenzie.

Vaughan you mentioned is a special case where there is a large train yard between Highway 7 and Rutherford. Not even cars can cross between them.

Also, there are TTC services on Steeles Ave, and many people live in York Region walk to use the TTC in order to avoid paying the double fare. There is just isn't demand travelling from a point near Steeles Ave to another location near Steeles Ave using YRT. Anyone coming from the north can go transfer to an east-west route (frequent VIVA on Highway 7) before continuing south.

York Region has 1.5 times the population of Mississauga but its system has half the ridership. It is not the model for successful transit, sorry. There is no evidence that York Region's strategy of prioritizing higher frequencies has worked better than Mississauga's strategy of focusing on better coverage. York Region was already way behind Mississauga before VIVA and it has only fallen further behind with VIVA. York Region Transit is simply an incomplete system. Mississauga was already a more complete system. WIth the extension of 39 Britannia to Renforth, extension of 20 Rathburn to Erindale GO, rerouting 10 Bristol to Kennedy, rerouting 9 to provide full service along Thomas, the introduction of 35 Eglinton, 57 Courtneypark and 109 Meadowvale Express, the removal of 26 Burnhamthorpe from CCTT, it has become even more complete than York.
York Region doesn't even have a strategy for higher frequencies. They had a plan to increase all the major routes to every 15 mins but it has been delayed every single year. York Region is different than Mississauga or Brampton since YRT also serves small municipalities north of Vaughan, Richmond Hill, and Markham.

Minimizing transfer times means one transfer maximum. One north-south route and one east-west route, and no more. And that means having a complete grid.

Vaughan has 4 continuous east-west corridors: Major Mackenzie, Rutherford, Highway 7, Steeles. And Steeles has no YRT service. That means Highway 7 is the only continuous east-west YRT corridor south of Rutherford. That is not a complete grid. You can increase the frequencies of the north-south routes as much as you want, it won't mean much unless there is more than one east-west route south of Rutherford to connect to.

Compare that to Brampton: Sandalwood, Bovaird, Williams, Queen, Steeles. That's 5 corridors, and they all have service. That's three east-west routes south of Bovaird/Castlemore/Rutherford instead of just one. That is a complete grid. That is why Brampton has 2 times the ridership per capita of York Region.

York Region has 1.5 times the population of Mississauga but its system has half the ridership. It is not the model for successful transit, sorry. There is no evidence that York Region's strategy of prioritizing higher frequencies has worked better than Mississauga's strategy of focusing on better coverage. York Region was already way behind Mississauga before VIVA and it has only fallen further behind with VIVA. York Region Transit is simply an incomplete system. Mississauga was already a more complete system. WIth the extension of 39 Britannia to Renforth, extension of 20 Rathburn to Erindale GO, rerouting 10 Bristol to Kennedy, rerouting 9 to provide full service along Thomas, the introduction of 35 Eglinton, 57 Courtneypark and 109 Meadowvale Express, the removal of 26 Burnhamthorpe from CCTT, it has become even more complete than York.

There are still things they need to do, like combining 28 and 66, full service along Cawthra, 26 to Winston Churchill, but at least they clearly recognize the problem with not having a complete grid. York doesn't care at all. It's still all about frequencies and BRTs and subways, and that's why the ridership will continue will never grow there.
I am only reinforcing what riders are saying and the ones who are can't speak to council or getting the standard brush off. I got the standard bush off on route 19 when it was change in 2000 from 6 minutes south of Sq One with every 3rd bus going to Brampton. Service became 11-13 when every bus going to Brampton to the point you were waiting 45-60 minutes at any given point on the route to only have 3-5 articulated bus show up in a convoy. Articulated buses were only used for every bus after the change.

I don't know where you live and travel to/from on transit as well don't care, if you use transit 100%. But clearly you don't understand how transit function or should function.

Other than a few routes, no route in Mississauga should see service over 30 minutes 7 days a week, including holidays.

Trunk Lines need to be every 15 minutes or less 7 days a week.

Have you every ridden some of these routes to understand how they work, what the ridership is and where the peak points are??? More important, have you every done data analyze, as well time study the routes and system???

Until you do, seeing things is one thing compare to what is taking place in real time 7 days a week is only guessing.

Tell me why Brampton has been running circles around Mississauga for 5 years on all levels of Transit????

I have heard that claim of lack of ridership and the need for smaller buses close to 15 years like you are. The only different between you and me as well the complainers, I have real time data with ridership for 85% of the routes in Mississauga in each route spreadsheet and it show what it cost for each rider to ride those routes. 19 had the best cost recovery to the point it was making a profit where route 8 and 44 were costing $30-$45 per rider. Rode 8 a number of times between Clarkson and Port Credit both day and night where I was the only person on that bus for the full trip and I never include myself in the data.

For close to 5+ years, every time I got on a bus, I noted the time the bus arrived, bus number, number of riders on it as well those getting on with me. I check the schedule at home to see if the bus was +/- off the time I got on. Each route had a benchmark based on connecting buses and load points. I noted time we arrived at each stop as well the number of riders getting on/off just like the consultants that are brought in years until counter were installed on a few buses. I would break the route up into blocks where I could to say X riders got on/off in those blocks as it would show where the peak loads are as well the weak point. The consulting firm would have 1 or 2 people on each bus on X routes they were doing for 3 days.

Clearly you don't, as there is no ridership for the full Cawthra to the point the plan extension to the Transitway is on the back burner. Have you every counted the cars parked at the Cawthra Station as well the riders using it??? The best I seen for cars been 15 and only seen 2 riders get on/off there.

If it surface, ridership will be less than the current 8. The current 8 sees better ridership with better service since been cut in haft with the 14 taking the weak section and very few riders each day on that section.

Moving to a grid system takes time, considering Mississauga has very few grid roads for traffic in the first place due NIMBY, Poor land and transportation planning. Hazel has stated public a number of time over the past 2 decades that one of her great mistake was having the Queensway not only going over the Credit River, but to Erin Mills. It was the goal of the late councilor Jim Tovey to push the extension of the Queensway in his plan reelection for 2018 that runs through the backyard of the current mayor not only to Erin Mills, but to the 403 with an interchange there. Since 2003-2005, I have been pushing for a grid system, but it will have many broken sections due to the road system and riders not willing to transfer from one route to another like the 26, 28, 66, 61, 26, 10, 91, 34, 7, 9. More on this later.

Trying to compare York Region to Mississauga is a Joke as York Region cover a hell lot more area and has many small pockets of residental. Try comparing Mississauga to Brampton or to a city of the same size.

Mississauga is up there in cost recovery and a hell lot better than most places in Canada, or even in the US.

Mississauga only has a 15% transit split and that is only 2% more than it was over 15 years ago, when it should be close to 30% today. This includes GO. The ridership for the Transitway is not even close to the 2004-6 EA numbers and still a few decades down the road.

Route 26 west of Sq One is and has been low ridership since I first started to ride it, well the eastern section has increase to the point there the 76 for it. It still service Sq One on the weekends because riders don't like the way to/from the mall by having it stay 100% on Burnhamthorpe.

Route 10 has been a mix bag for decades and it should continue to Renforth than to Sq One, as well carry few riders. It should go to Winston Churchill by Thomas, but has an issues at Mississauga Rd.

You only got The Lakeshore, Dundas, Burnhamthorpe, Eglinton, Derry Rd, Mississauga Transitway as true east west 100% grid. Dixie, Hurontario, Southdown/Erin Mill/Mississauga Rd, Winston Churchill as 100% north-south

I don't look forward to the LRT even thought I support it and call for it in 2005 along with a few others, as I will waste 12-20 minutes going into/out of Sq One like the old 19 15-20 minutes and have yet to try the 2 and 17, when I can save that time bypassing CCTT today on the 103.

You will never get perfect planning and schedules where all 4 buses meet at X point, due to traffic, riders, weather and the bus drivers who are Sunday drivers or lead foot. You should visit smaller systems where everything meet in one place to see a bus arrive late after a few buses have already left, where some are holding due to communication from either the late driver or dispatch.

You can say what you want about me, but I have made changes to the system over time and that a lot more you will do on this board. I have made changes to other systems as well.

The biggest cost to any system is labour that runs from 75-85% of the operation cost and will continue to do so if not more until the driver is no longer there. Still got cost to keep vehicles on the road. Based on 2010 numbers, drivers were seeing about $50,000 a year and by 2040, they could be earning close to $135,000 if the 2-3% yearly increase stay the courses.

To increase ridership, you need better land use, quality of service and to run 7 days a week to get them to where they want to go to/from in the first place.

Last edited:
Tell me why Brampton has been running circles around Mississauga for 5 years on all levels of Transit????

The system that provides 1.24 million hours of service (1.97 hours per capita) and gets 29.7 million riders annually (47 riders per capita) is running circles around the system that provides 1.63 million hours of service (2.01 hours per capita) and gets 41.2 million riders annually (53 riders per capita)?

Your continuous trashing of transit of Mississauga and praising of transit Brampton makes zero sense to me. I see hardly any difference. You're no different from Trump. Everything is just pure black or white, trying to sow divisions and boundaries everywhere.

Seriously, what is the fucking difference? I live near Mississauga and Brampton border, I used both systems. I haven't experienced any division. If service in Mississauga was really so terrible, Brampton riders wouldn't cross the border either. 42/104 Derry/Express would probably lose most of its riders. Brampton doesn't exist in isolation. To act like Brampton exists all by itself, that Brampton Transit is so great despite Mississauga Transit being complete shit is just ridiculous.

Imagine if TTC is crap, you think that wouldn't affect transit in Mississauga? Give me a break.

Mississauga's service hours per capita is almost exactly the same as Winnipeg Transit and Calgary Transit. Slightly above 2 hours per capita. Higher than RTC in Quebec and HSR in Hamilton. For you to come in here and tell people it is far behind even Brampton in terms of service levels makes me wonder if you have some sort of personal vendetta. What do you have against the city? I find it odd.

Transit in Mississauga still needs serious improvement but it cannot grow unless it builds upon what it has already accomplished. And that means it cannot forget what it has already accomplished. One step at a time. To completely ignore the virtues of the current system is not the way to move forward. That is just stepping backward.

One 40 mins transfer is enough to turn away a potential transit rider. You cannot control all the buses from all four directions to arrive at the intersection at the same time so some rider will always miss the bus by a few mins, which means they will not even want to make that trip.

I used to make a big deal about frequencies too, but then I saw the overcrowding and artics on 39 Britannia with 25-35 minute frequencies. If higher frequencies have an effect it is very small.

YRT cost recovery is under 40%. The net funding per capita of the operations is little different from Brampton and Mississauga. I'm not sure how much more than can increase service without more fare revenue. It's the fare revenue that's most important.

On coverage, YRT has major routes every 2km in the southern region,
North-south routes:
9-Line, Markham Rd, McCowan, Kennedy, Warden, Woodbine, Leslie, Bayview, Yonge Bathurst, Dufferin, Keele, Jane, Westen, Islington, Martin Grove
East-west routes:
Dension(Markham), Highway 7, 16th/Rutherford, Major Mackenzie.

Vaughan you mentioned is a special case where there is a large train yard between Highway 7 and Rutherford. Not even cars can cross between them.

Also, there are TTC services on Steeles Ave, and many people live in York Region walk to use the TTC in order to avoid paying the double fare. There is just isn't demand travelling from a point near Steeles Ave to another location near Steeles Ave using YRT. Anyone coming from the north can go transfer to an east-west route (frequent VIVA on Highway 7) before continuing south.

The issue isn't about people living near Steeles and going to a place near Steeles. they can use the TTC for that. The real issue is about people who live near Steeles who want to transfer to a north-south route. Or people who live outside of Steeles and work near Steeles being able to use a north-south route to being their journey and an east-west route to end their journey to work. The lack of a YRT Steeles bus makes that impossible. YRT needs to fill in this huge gap in their network. They need a complete grid.

The Vaughan train yard already creates a huge gap in the network, and the lack of Steeles service creates another huge gap on top of that. That is why the ridership in Vaughan is terrible. Just one, ONE continuous east-west route south of Rutherford!

Again, they can increase the frequencies of the north-south routes all they want, but if there is only one east-west route to transfer to south of Rutherford, there will not be any riders. You want to make it easier to transfer, then you need to give riders more routes to transfer to. You need to give people more connections.

York Region doesn't even have a strategy for higher frequencies. They had a plan to increase all the major routes to every 15 mins but it has been delayed every single year. York Region is different than Mississauga or Brampton since YRT also serves small municipalities north of Vaughan, Richmond Hill, and Markham.

I'm just talking about Vaughan, Markham, Richmond Hill.

Ridership in Richmond Hill and Thornhill is on the same level as Mississauga and Brampton. I don't expect Vaughan to be on that level because of the train yard you mentions. But Markham is very well planned: higher densities, more throughfares. Much better planned than Vaughan and Brampton. There is no reason service and ridership in Markham should be so far behind Richmond Hill and Brampton and Mississauga. I think it's just the Steeles issue that is holding it back. Vaughan and Markham are to the west and east, and likely what holding them back is thethe lack of east-west service, especially along Steeles.

Richmond Hill, Vaughan, Markham is similar combined population to Mississauga. Even taking into the account poor planning of Vaughan, that should still already be 30-35 million riders right there.

The issue isn't about people living near Steeles and going to a place near Steeles. they can use the TTC for that. The real issue is about people who live near Steeles who want to transfer to a north-south route. Or people who live outside of Steeles and work near Steeles being able to use a north-south route to being their journey and an east-west route to end their journey to work. The lack of a YRT Steeles bus makes that impossible. YRT needs to fill in this huge gap in their network. They need a complete grid.

The Vaughan train yard already creates a huge gap in the network, and the lack of Steeles service creates another huge gap on top of that. That is why the ridership in Vaughan is terrible. Just one, ONE continuous east-west route south of Rutherford!

Again, they can increase the frequencies of the north-south routes all they want, but if there is only one east-west route to transfer to south of Rutherford, there will not be any riders. You want to make it easier to transfer, then you need to give riders more routes to transfer to. You need to give people more connections.
I would not want to wait 30 mins for YRT when there is a TTC bus every 5 mins on Steeles.

Ridership in Richmond Hill and Thornhill is on the same level as Mississauga and Brampton. I don't expect Vaughan to be on that level because of the train yard you mentions. But Markham is very well planned: higher densities, more throughfares. Much better planned than Vaughan and Brampton. There is no reason service and ridership in Markham should be so far behind Richmond Hill and Brampton and Mississauga. I think it's just the Steeles issue that is holding it back. Vaughan and Markham are to the west and east, and likely what holding them back is thethe lack of east-west service, especially along Steeles.
The only bus route in Markham that is a frequent route outside rush hour is VIVA Purple. A majority of the transfer connections are either too short or too long, leaving riders standing at the bus stop for 30 mins. Therefore, I think the best way to encourage me to use more YRT is to improve the frequency. There are only two locations where I need more coverage, which is both on Rodick Rd. A new route on Rodick Rd does make those trips reduce from 3 buses to 1 bus.

Last edited:
It is worth noting that one of the reasons YRT's farebox recovery is substantially worse than Brampton and Mississauga is that the YRT budget includes paratransit, whereas the Brampton and Mississauga budgets do not, the Region of Peel carries it.

From the approved 2020 Peel Budget, notice the fare box recovery is less than 10% for paratransit, the regional tax subsidy is $34.50 a ride.
1591311621735.png

I think both miway and brampton transit should just make 1 weekly/monthly pass and one fare structure for both transit systems. If they don’t want peel regional transit, this could be the next best substitute

I think both miway and brampton transit should just make 1 weekly/monthly pass and one fare structure for both transit systems. If they don’t want peel regional transit, this could be the next best substitute
I think both miway, TTC, YRT, DRT and brampton transit should just make 1 weekly/monthly pass and one fare structure for all transit systems. If they don’t want Toronto regional transit, this could be the next best substitute.

Please wait for 10 more years.

I remember for the longest time that there was a weekly GTA pass but I went to go look for it and I couldn't find it anymore other than a reddit post about it. I also couldn't find a weekly pass for Brampton or Miway. The GTA already has free transfers between each other than with Toronto, so, I guess we already do have a pseudo unified single fare system.

I would not want to wait 30 mins for YRT when there is a TTC bus every 5 mins on Steeles.

But it costs another fare to take YRT and TTC on the same trip.
That's why people don't want that.

I remember for the longest time that there was a weekly GTA pass but I went to go look for it and I couldn't find it anymore other than a reddit post about it. I also couldn't find a weekly pass for Brampton or Miway. The GTA already has free transfers between each other than with Toronto, so, I guess we already do have a pseudo unified single fare system.

The GTA weekly pass ended Dec 1, 2019.
It cost like $50, but was valid for Brampton, Mississauga, YRT and TTC.
Brampton still has a weekly pass for $34

But it costs another fare to take YRT and TTC on the same trip.
That's why people don't want that.
The double fare issues exist for any trip near the municipal boundary of Toronto. The problem is not whether YRT should have a Steele's route, but whether there should be fare integration. It will be cheaper for YRT to pay TTC for anyone travelling on Steeles with only a YRT fare, than actually operating a YRT Steeles route.

Really, masks should have been made mandatory in back in March or April, and not in July now that restrictions are being loosened.

Back