News   Apr 16, 2024
 216     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 691     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 479     3 

miWay Transit

Just a few takeaways from what you've said:

26 should just be restored to serve CCTT directly. The 76 is useful for getting to those office towers on Robert Speck and shouldn't be changed.

61 Mavis used to run down to Dundas (the short turn branch that looped down around Clayhill and Dundas) but was replaced by the 91 Hillcrest.

13 Glen Erin is a very useful route but runs too infrequently. I'd like it if there was some express version like combining the 110 and 109 (I'd restore direct service to Credit Valley Hospital and Erin Mills Town Centre) but serving the entire corridor from Westgate/Lisgar GO down to Clarkson GO.

28 and 66 combined would be useful, but the 28 serves far more high density areas and thus needs to be kept at more frequent headways.

45 is not high ridership precisely because the 109 cannibalizes much of its ridership in the north end.
26 should be a grid route 100% 7 days a week and not service CCTT. Its like 19 that wasted riders time who have no need to to use CCTT in the first place. It will add a few minutes for riders who want to get to/from Sq One Mall as well more transferring time to get to/from CCTT. Riders have a choice of using 6, 61, 3, 8 and 19 to get to/from CCTT.

West of CCTT has poor ridership than the east. My Recommendation for the 86 when it ran was to have it only run east from CCTT since this was the bulk of the route ridership. Ridership was very rarely more than 15-20 west of CCTT at best of time with less than 10 on it at other times.

76 should be running 7 days a week.

The feeling in management is that 26 should be be a grid route and willing to live with the current weekend routing for the time being. It needs better service on the weekend than now.

61 did run to Dundas by CCTT, but there should be one that bypass CCTT and go to Cooksville Go Station by Dundas, not like the 91 or the old 61. It would take some pressure off the 19s and doing a transfer at CCTT.

13 like a lot of routes needs better service 7 days a week, but does not come close to having a 100 bus on it.

I can see another route combining 28 & 66 that would offer a grid service and take pressure off 19.

45 will be a weak route, but fill the gaps between the 109 stops. It needs better service as well. It was weak before the 109 started. The 109 help some of the 9 ridership these days.

April 17
Came upon these notices in Toronto and a first from my point of view. Even saying a stop had been removed for an inbound on Dundas east of Kipling is really weir, considering there is a 307 route on it that doesn't exist in Mississauga at this time.
47654644511_475cc62d30_b.jpg

On Dundas west of Auckland
33777196518_3de7f41ab5_b.jpg

What's with the route signs on the front of MiWay buses? A large proportion of them are so dim that they're barely legible, especially when the bus is back-lit by rising/setting sun.

Not all buses have this issue. Many are bright and very legible in all conditions. Is it a setting that can be tweaked, or are the signs just garbage?

Really stinks when waiting for a bus at a stop served by many routes. Have to squint at the bus to see which bus it is before you flag it down.

What's with the route signs on the front of MiWay buses? A large proportion of them are so dim that they're barely legible, especially when the bus is back-lit by rising/setting sun.

Not all buses have this issue. Many are bright and very legible in all conditions. Is it a setting that can be tweaked, or are the signs just garbage?

Really stinks when waiting for a bus at a stop served by many routes. Have to squint at the bus to see which bus it is before you flag it down.

Modern destination sign mechanisms are designed to automatically brighten or dim dependent on the external lighting around the vehicle. These systems can fail, but it's not usually that common an occurrence.

What is more common, and likely, is that the glass over the sign is dirty and so the sign is not able to accurately determine how bright or dark it is outside.

Dan

It's weird they use artics on 39 Britannia now. And it's not a one time thing, I see artics on the route regularly, including last night. But then again 89 used artics too, and since 39 was extended it serves much of the same function as the old 89, but transporting Britannia riders more directly along Matheson instead detour into the Eglinton corridor. It shows how useful a complete grid can be.

If 26 must be a grid route, then it should connect to 45 and 66. 26 needs to be extended to Winston Churchill, and 28/66 needs to be combined into one route. If not then 26 should serve CCTT. East-west grid routes need to connect to all major north-south routes. 26 doesn't connect to 45, it doesn't connect 66, it doesn't connect to 61, it doesn't really work. There also a lack of a north-south route for the Tenth Line-Rigdeway corridor.

From Hurontario to Ninth Line, there are only two routes that provide continous and direct service from Dundas all the way to Derry without any detours: 13 Glen Erin and 45 Winston Churchill. And the 26 only connects to one of them.

^^ Miway should decommission non-destination mall loops for this reason, as it results in some prematurely truncated grid routes
How are people to get to the malls on a single seat ride???..................There will be a few routes that needs the malls as a hub since they can't be on a grid system in the first place, as well poor ridership in the first place.

Mississauga doesn't have many mall loops anyways. Even Erin Mills Town Centre doesn't have a loop and that's a big mall. The only malls/power centres that have loops are Square One, Westwood, and Meadowvale Town Centre. They are still needed for minor routes. Transit doesn't need to be pure grid, and the road system is not pure grid to begin with. See the problem with a pure grid in Toronto and the overcrowding of Bloor-Yonge station.

I think Mississauga can have a better grid transit network without forcing people to transfer too much. 28 and 66 can combined easily, and that would already be enough to justify 26 not serving CCTT. And with the route being shorter thanks to the removal from CCTT they can easily extend it to Winston Churchill to connect with the 45. A grid route needs to cover the entire length of the city.

Walk in from the street.........
You miss my point and thats the single seat ride. Depending on what mall X rider whats to go to, it will require a transfer that covers the extra 10-15 minute ride on a single seat bus. Not everyone lives next to a grid route now nor down the road. I am 8 minute walk from one grid line and current 13 or 17 to 2 others. Come 2022, the 13 minute will become a 17 minute walk. Fine in the warm weather, but a bitch for the long ones. I loose a 4th one in 2020, but very rare I use it in the first place, but the accessibility community in my area needs it badly.

Headway will play a big part doing the transfer route and that something miWay needs to address yesterday. Other than a few routes, no route should be more than 30 minutes 7 days a week, with the trunk lines seeing max 15 minutes or less 7 days a week.

As long as council continue to say X density isn't require along trunk lines or in X area, X route will fell the cost ratio of 65-75% recover cost. Cost recovery of $2.25 will not be the same for all routes to the point some routes require over $10 cost recovery to operate, even with longer headway and for week day only, let alone 7 days a week.

If you build terminal on the west side, then 48 Erin Mills would have a long detour to connect to the 49, and the 48 is the one route that should be straight. 13 can easily be taken out of the mall without losing any connections. 46 no longer loops at the mall anyways as it now goes to the Erin Mills transitway station. So no terminal is needed at that mall.

just develop the area around the mall so that the walk between it and the arterial roads are as pleasant and comfortable as possible

Back