News   Apr 24, 2024
 613     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 829     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 547     0 

miWay Transit

The July 3 service changes will continue the MiWay Five plan somewhat, however as usual, the planned timelines and routes seem to change all the time. There is no route 54 as proposed, no route 38 streamlining, no cancellation of 25 or 43/87 as initially proposed. In fact it looks like there will be duplicating service along Matheson for the time being. Hopefully it's all just been pushed back until the fall.

What there is, however:

23 Lakeshore - Sunday frequency improves to 19 minutes from current 25 minutes (+1 bus) and earlier Sunday service

34 Credit Valley - New Sunday evening trips extending service to midnight.

38 Creditview - Route 38A Saturday Frequency has improved to 24 minutes from current 33 minutes (+1 bus). Slight improvement to Sunday service, from 45 minutes to 40 minutes (+1 bus). Route 38A and 39 will no longer interline.

39 Britannia - Route 39 will be extended to Skymark and Commerce via Matheson with off peak routing to Rose Cherry/Hershey Centre being maintained. Route 39 frequencies will remain the same as follows: Weekday peak 28-30 minutes, Weekday midday and evening 34-35 minutes, Saturday 33 minutes, Sunday 45 minutes. Route 38A and 39 will no longer interline.

43 Matheson - Routing revised to serve Terry Fox rather than McLaughlin. No change to frequency or service levels for now.

59 Airport Infield - Cancelled.

Other minor schedule changes to various routes.

Also there is this detour due to construction starting next Monday affecting the 7, 35 and 87.

As you can tell these changes pale in comparison to what had been advertised at information sessions and on the website. Hopefully they've just decided to phase it in within the next 2 service changes to allow people to get used to it (end of July and beginning of September).
Until they get more buses, things are only going to fall behind. The next push is to come in the fall for the Transitway as well when the new express buses go into service.

Once the EZ replacement buses show up and go into service since they will be 40', you can start looking ahead.

Need to get rid of service over 30 minutes 7 days a week, with better service on the weekend.

Having a bus on Terry Fox is long over due.

Don't like a lot of the 5 year plan in the first place.

Don't like a lot of the 5 year plan in the first place.

I'm not overly familiar with what the 5 year plan is anyway, so could you outline, very briefly, what it is about the 5 year plan you don't like and what you would do differently?

The September service changes will see service improvements along the transitway to align with the opening of Renforth Station. Transitway routes 107 and 109 will begin serving Renforth Station along with MiLocal routes 7 and 39. Routes 21, 24, 35, and 43/87 will serve the station on street without entering. There are corresponding service increases as detailed below:

Route 107 - Malton Express

Improved Weekday frequencies:

Peak - 8 minutes from current 10 minutes

Midday - 12 minutes from current 15 minutes

Evening - No change

NEW Sunday service - every 21 minutes from 716am to 1031pm.

Route 109 - Meadowvale Express

Improved Weekday frequencies:

Peak - 8 minutes from current 10 minutes

Midday - 11.5 minutes from current 15 minutes

Evening - No change

Route 110 - University Express

Route 110 will be revised to serve Erin Mills Station. Schedules have been revised to allow for additional runtime required to serve the station. Supplementary short turn trips on weekdays between City Centre and UTM will continue

Peak - 15 minutes (7.5 minutes average between City Centre and UTM)

Midday - 33 minutes (16.5 minutes between City Centre and UTM)

Evening - No change

Saturday - 24 minutes from current 28 minutes

Sunday - 24 minutes from current 28 minutes

Route 110 - University Express

Route 110 will be revised to serve Erin Mills Station. Schedules have been revised to allow for additional runtime required to serve the station.

Kinda sucks that a transitway station has such an adverse effect on the schedules

Kinda sucks that a transitway station has such an adverse effect on the schedules
How many riders will get on and off at Erin in the first Place?? Other than the 109 going west or to the station is the only source of ridership and not worth the effort doing this stop. I have already had my say with the boys/girls at MT a few years ago on this change.

I said before 110 every hit the road, taking 110 south of UTM was a waste of resource as ridership is non existing. Today number backup my statement.

Once again, MT can't deal with face time divided equally and to save a bus for off peak, they go to 33 minutes, while the rest is 30. Best to scrap the service south of UTM.

I find it odd that all MT other routes will not service the Renforth Terminal as plan. I need to check the station, as it wasn't close to be open for Sept opening date.

Reactions: jys
MiWay 5 Information Sessions about the 2018 service plan
Next year MiWay is planning to increase service levels along major corridors and introduce more express service. Learn more about these MiWay 5 service improvements at one of our upcoming information sessions:

Date Time Location
Mon, Sept. 25 2pm – 7pm
City Centre Transit Terminal
200 Rathburn Rd. W

Tues, Sept. 26 4pm - 7pm
Port Credit Library
20 Lakeshore Rd. E

Thur, Sept. 28 3pm – 7pm
Meadowvale Town Centre
6677 Meadowvale Town Centre Circle

Sat, Sept. 30 1pm – 4pm
Westwood Square
7205 Goreway Dr.

MiWay 5 Information Sessions about the 2018 service plan
Next year MiWay is planning to increase service levels along major corridors and introduce more express service. Learn more about these MiWay 5 service improvements at one of our upcoming information sessions:
Looks like MiWay changed to plan yet again to include a new 142 Derry Express, while the 100 will start at Winston Churchill instead of South Common. Curious to see what the level of service and routing will look like for 142.

There's much to like in this plan; but as Drum points out, there are many shortcomings.

There remains a clear need to get all routes to 30M or better frequency, 7 days a week; as well as raising service to 15M or better on all major grid routes.

I would add, I think 24-hour service on major routes will be a crucial advance in the next few years, that has not discussed (officially) that I can see.

I have been on record since 2003 starting with my first report on transit calling for max 30 minute service 7 days a week with trunk lines seeing 10-15 minute service or less 7 days a week. Service should start at 7 am on Sunday or sooner on trunk lines and by 8 on other routes given the fact back then it was after 9 am or later. I even call for 7 x 24 service on 13 routes then. My last request for 7 x 24 was during the 2016 budget hearing as well quality of service.

This is a head up that Mississauga is under taking a Master Transportation Study with an Public Open House in June 2018. This should replace the current 5 year plan for miWay hopeful.

Mississauga's Transportation Future Study

Reactions: jys
Long Branch Loop

Starting Monday September 18

Rt 5 will deadhead both directions from Lakeshore and Ogden to Dixie mall via Lakeshore/Dixie to layover and to turn around at.

Rt 23 will service Long Branch by entering the TTC streetcar loop and drop off/pick up passengers ALL passengers at a temporary bus stop within the loop on the opposite side of the platform from our present stop. Rt 5 passengers will transfer at Ogden.

So they're finally taking the 38 off of Bancroft, but not bothering to replace it with anything (the suggested alternatives 42, 142 and 57 don't travel along Bancroft). From the 2020 plan, route 54 does, but that means 2 years of no service on Bancroft or....?

Not that I take the bus anymore, but I do wonder...

There are a few rather odd things on the 2020 map.

142 route doesn't exist on the 2020 map.
100 goes to UTM and South Common, and not Winston Churchill in 2020.
102 just seems to run between Islington and the Sheridan Centre, and the Sheridan Centre itself isn't on the 2020 map.
Some routes have off-peak service to Go Stations that aren't directly on the route (4, 51 to Dixie, 28 to Cooksville)
A lot of simplification, elimination of redundant routes in several areas, around Hurontario/401, Malton/Rexdale and Meadowvale.

Which means a bit easier to navigate, but people may have transfer in the future to get to their destination, or a little bit extra walk to/from their final destination.

With the streamlining of route 42, and the extension of route 57, I'm surprised it's still showing as rush hours only. It should probably have midday and evening service once the changes take effect in a few months.

I'm also surprised that the new route 54 won't be introduced when Route 38 is streamlined. Also, with the introduction of Route 100, it's really evident how much a Creditview Transitway station would have been of use.

Last edited:
took a while to figure out what they were meaning by this graphic......they are just alerting to some construction impacts starting in October 2018....but initial "first read" was they were opening the line then.

upload_2017-9-18_11-55-17.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-18_11-55-17.png
    upload_2017-9-18_11-55-17.png
    396.1 KB · Views: 591

Back