News   Apr 24, 2024
 130     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 465     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 2.9K     7 

miWay Transit

Do not eliminate the 82!

It's the bus a lot of people, including me, use to get from Islington to our jobs in the Meadowvale North office park.

Another 82 rider chiming in against any thought of discontinuing service from Islington to Meadowvale. Riders are plenty on this route and the thought of compounding them on to others makes the thought of quitting my job and drawing EI sound like a dream in comparison.

On a semi-related note to Komiksulo: Have you experienced the 7:40am run from Islington with the driver who mistakes his bus for an F1 racecar? I think he's got feet made of lead.

I know that a lot of people use the 82. I see a lot of people using the 70 as well. But they are probably very costly routes to operate.

And you say most of the riders don't come from/go to the subway? Um, wha-a-at? What 89 have you been taking? Everyone gets off at the subway. I'd say 90% of 89 riders get off at the subway. And same vice versa. A few people get on later, but not many. Especially since the bus is packed, how can anyone even get on at Dixie, even if they wanted to!?!?

I say 40%, Drum118 says 25-50%, and you say... 90%? 90% would mean that the 89 leaves Islington crush-loaded, and all those people standing leaving Islington do so all the way until Kennedy at at least. Doesn't make sense.

I know that a lot of people use the 82. I see a lot of people using the 70 as well. But they are probably very costly routes to operate.

I cannot speak on behalf of route 70's ridership, but I can tell you that the 82 is packed on most if not all of its morning northbound trips. Likewise on the way back into the city, the route is standing room only by the time it arrives at the RBC building on Financial before hitting the highway.

This is How Mississauga looks at Hurontario St for service and wondering why BRT is been plan for it.

Pictures are worth a 1,000 words when they are time stamp.

Sunday Oct 12 saw close doors 60' buses with crush loads and late as much as 20 minutes.

Even though the southbound 19 had sorry bus was full, all of us got on. At this point, there 85 riders on a crush load bus #869 that supposed to have 50 for off peak service.

We bypass 55 riders waiting for a 19S bus south of Sq One and another 40 going northbound. Saw a couple of other buses the same way going south as I was going north of Sq One.

It shows that service needs to drop from 30 minutes to 15 before 11am and to 10 minutes until 7pm. Increase to 15 for rest of service after 7pm. One Sunday a few months ago, I had to let 3 19S's go by me at Elm because they were late, peak-crush load, but close doors. I ended up missing 2 GO trains going West and that Kill my trip and day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwjayI5UT64

Since MT is on the budget list on Wed Oct 15, lets see what is going to be said about service to be cut and what routes may get more service. This route requirement is well under service since 2000 that started me on the road as a transit advocate. I support Staff recommendations for the 4 routes to be cancel.

This show how serious Mississauga is looking at LRT vs. Hamilton who on the bandwagon to get one for the B-Line now.

This not the first Sunday like this, as you can find crush load and lateness 7 days a week. You can find this type of service even for off peak service let alone at peak time.

I can supply council with photo's that shows the detail of the photo as to when it was shot. The photo for the riders at Elm waiting for a northbound bus was shoot from the bus.

haha ... I can name so many TTC routes that have the same problem.

I think the TTC under serves many routes on the weekend! In particular Sunday.

At least the pain is shared : - )

At today Budget meeting, 74, 62 and 43 will be cancel. The ward councilor has asked that the 37 headway be increase or have it run only at peak time. This will be brought back at a later date. If another sponsor or 2 can be found to fund the 74 as well provide a 2nd buses, this would save the route as well providing better service to encourage more riders to use it.

#26, #5 and #48 will see headway increases and only shaking my head. MT needs to cut $500,000 in service for the 2009 budget, yet council was fighting over $35,000 for awards and $170,000 for the library. Transit is supposed to be the top issue these days claim by council, yet they don't understand how to do it.

Close doors on 19 was raises and council was told only 3% of the 50,000 trips on 19 see close doors. 2 additional buses have been added for peak service. There is a need to look at service on the weekend. Looks like I get 15% of the close door service.

The data presented in the report by MT was an eye opener for the councilors and did not surprise me at what I saw.

22 Hybird buses will be order in 2009 with delivery in 2010.

Smart Commute made a presentation on selling 700 VIP monthly pass at a cost of 5%-15% to MT. If an employer paid 15% of the cost of the pass, MT would pickup 5%. If the employer pickup 25%, MT would pickup 15%. If the employer pickup more than 25%, cost to MT will still be 15%. There is a possibility that 200 existing riders would end up using this VIP pass, but at the end of the day, MT could see 236% return on the investment over 18 months with a return of $508,320 in revenue. The plan is based on Winnipeg plan. MT will spend $30,000 to market the new pass.

Fare go up January 26:09. Cash fare $3., Tickets $.10 each, weekly pass $2 regardless Adult or Student, Wonderland $7.50, GO Fare $23 to $25 cash $.60 to $.65, Board of Education tickets $2/10 more. Student monthly pass $93 to $101, weekly $22.50 to $22.50, Adult weekly $24 to $26 and Monthly $93 to $107. This works out to be 6.3%-9.1% increase.

Route 5 and 26 have quite high ridership. Route 5 in particular has more than doubled ridership in the past 10 years. I am surprised service will be reduced. Or maybe not surprising considering that the council is full of right-wingers.

Mississauga is still shockingly underserviced by transit on the weekends. Many routes are more overcrowded on weekends than on weekdays, if they even have weekend service at all.

It's hard to believe Mississauga is actually cutting transit service in this day and age. They should take a lesson from York Region which increased service and increased transit usage.

Is it an actual reduction in the number of buses servicing these routes or is it a "scheduling adjustment" due to increased traffic and passengers slowing down the headways?

It's hard to see the bus fares going up to $3 flat and students tickets/passes being so much more expensive. I remember the days when I could get a student week pass for $15.50.

Toronto Star

Fewer routes for more riders: Mississauga's transit dilemma
Like other GTA municipalities, budget constraints make it crucial to attract users while cutting costs

October 17, 2008

TESS KALINOWSKI
TRANSPORTATION REPORTER

As they stare down unprecedented budget challenges, Toronto-area municipalities are facing another delicate balancing act.

It is the ongoing problem of coaxing more suburbanites onto public transit while maintaining the vast, winding networks of less-travelled bus routes that serve existing riders.

Mississauga councillors, awaiting the transit revolution promised by the $50 billion, 25-year Metrolinx plan, faced exactly that conundrum this week.

At a budget meeting, they considered cutting seven routes – including one so little used the city is currently subsidizing it at the rate of $18.18 per trip.

Meanwhile, to entice new riders, the city's general committee approved a discount-matching plan to subsidize discounted transit passes offered by employers. Workplaces that offer 25 per cent or more off the cost of transit passes for employees would get an extra 15 per cent from the city, so their workers could enjoy a deep discount of up to 40 per cent off bus fare.

The program could cost the city up to $215,000 but raise Mississauga transit revenues by $300,000, Smart Commute Mississauga executive director Glenn Gumulka said.

The 18-month pilot is similar to one in Winnipeg, where transit ridership among participating employers grew 45 per cent. Employer discount programs in Hamilton, York Region and Brampton have been limited to city and public employees.

The Mississauga program would be offered to about 30,000 workers through 19 employers, including some private companies that pay $1,500 to $8,000 annually to belong to the Smart Commute association.

Smart Commute's overall mission is to remove the barriers that keep transit ridership at only about 9 per cent among Mississauga workers.

The cost of transit will be a growing consideration, since the committee also agreed to a 25-cent hike on cash fares in January. The second increase in 11 months, it would bring the cash fare to $3 – 25 cents more than a ride on the TTC. "For the amount of money we pay for our service, we only get 20 per cent of the TTC service," said Mississauga transit advocate David Fisher.

At their Wednesday budget meeting, councillors also took aim at eliminating seven undersubscribed bus routes and reducing midday and late-night service on others.

The plan is supposed to save $563,800, money that could be reinvested in the employer discount and better service and comfort on oversubscribed routes, such as the Hurontario bus that regularly leaves passengers on the curb because of overcrowding.

In a transit system that recovers only 55 per cent of its operating costs from the fare box, the routes slated for elimination carry 125 passengers a day or less and require subsidies that work out to between $4.13 and $18.18 per ride. Transit officials say most of the people who ride the endangered buses, on routes 15B, 37, 43, 74, 25, 63 and 37A, could take different routes. A decision is pending more study.

Ensuring that every neighbourhood has access to a bus while also enhancing busy services to draw new riders is a tricky juggling act, admits Mississauga Transit general manager Geoff Marinoff.

"It's a challenge driven by density. You need a certain amount of density to support transit. You also have to be able to get people where they want to go quicker," he said.

Among the routes slated to die are two shuttles that were recently introduced to move commuter traffic to high-demand destinations.

That they haven't worked is counter-intuitive, admitted Councillor Frank Dale (Ward 4), who pushed to reintroduce the City Centre shuttle last December after an earlier experiment failed.

But the service simply hasn't been able to compete with the convenience and speed of car travel, when the destinations – a GO station and the Square One shopping centre and nearby offices – offer free parking, Marinoff said.

Still, research shows there's a latent demand for transit. A survey of 3,000 Mississauga employees found 25 per cent would be more willing to use transit if tickets were available in their workplace.

A little off topic of what is being said lately in this thread...

I'm downtown Toronto through and through, but as I was driving in Mississauga the other day at a conference for work I thought to myself that Mississauga could probably solve a lot of its transit problems with some Trams/Streetcars/LRT, whatever you want to call it.

I say this because your streets are already 3 lanes wide on one side, getting rid of one lane for transit would definitely ease congestion because people would be encouraged to take transit because all of the buses wouldn't be sitting waiting in traffic. Then since transit is more attractive to take, there will be less cars on the road.

I was also thinking that there needs to be some sort of major link between Kipling and downtown Mississauga. I ended up taking my car to Mississauga, but as someone who lives downtown Toronto, I prefer transit.

Thoughts? Just my two cents from someone visiting Mississauga.

A little off topic of what is being said lately in this thread...

Not really off topic at all!

In the next few years Mississauga is rolling out a series of frequent, limited stop express routes they are calling Pre-Rapid Transit. These will run along the major arteries.

They are also building a transitway which will allow buses from all corners of the city to use a traffic-free roadway to get to Square One and the Subway.

Under the Metrolinx RTP, Dundas and Hurontario have been identified for higher order transit in reserved lanes. Light rail is one possible form these lines can take.

Also, the RTP see service on the Milton GO Rail line increasing to frequencies which could rival the subway between Union and Cooksville (to connect to the Hurontario line). A branch line to connect the GO rail line to Square One has also identified as a project but probably won't be built for quite some time. This will be, in my opinion, much more cost effective than extending the Bloor-Danforth subway to Square One.

Turns out your two cents is right on the money.

A branch line to connect the GO rail line to Square One has also identified as a project but probably won't be built for quite some time. This will be, in my opinion, much more cost effective than extending the Bloor-Danforth subway to Square One.

I don't remember seeing any mention of a branch to Square One in the Metrolinx Draft RTP; has it been identified since then?

I don't remember seeing any mention of a branch to Square One in the Metrolinx Draft RTP; has it been identified since then?

It's in the "Beyond 25 Years" section of the final plan - so it's officially on the books.

Back