681     0 

Mississauga to get Sheridan College campus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazing!

New Sheridan campus coming to City Centre

1f374e374ed7a56e4dab41347ef7.jpeg

Staff photo by Daniel Ho
Mayor Hazel McCallion embraces Ian Orchard following her speech during the announcement for funding for a new University of Toronto at Mississauga building and a new Sheridan College campus in Mississauga at the college's Brampton campus on Monday. Orchard is the Principal and Vice President of the University. EMAIL By: Julie Slack

May 25, 2009 03:46 PM - Mayor Hazel McCallion called today a day to celebrate, with the announcement of a $31-million grant for a new Sheridan College campus to be located somewhere in the City Centre.

Also part of the major funding announcement by Ottawa and Queen's Park was $70 million for a new instructional and laboratory complex at University of Toronto Mississauga.

McCallion said it's only right the sixth-largest city in Canada has its own community college.

The exact location of Sheridan Mississauga isn't confirmed, but Jill Birch, Sheridan College vice-president of business development, said a decision is imminent.

"It's in the city core and we're in negotiations right now," she said.

Sheridan Mississauga, which will accommodate 1,760 new students and 7,500 continuing education students when it opens in 2011, will deliver a range of business programs.

Dr. Robert Turner, Sheridan College president and CEO, welcomed the news.

"Sheridan will be an anchor and a catalyst to seeing the city core revitalized," he said. "This is several years in the making. There are 55 corporate head offices in Mississauga, and a college presence is essential for the future of these businesses."

The announcements, made at Sheridan College's Brampton campus, are part of the federal government's two-year, $2-billion plan to repair and expand educational facilities and the Province's commitment to invest $780 million in colleges and universities to modernize facilities. The two levels of government will share the cost equally.

Both facilities will be ready by March 2011 and will create 310 jobs.

Mississauga-Erindale MP Bob Dechert said the college will help new immigrants and people who have been laid off upgrade their skills to find employment.

McCallion added it will fill a need. She said 40 per cent of students attending Sheridan College in Oakville are Mississauga residents.

Meanwhile, the UTM funding will allow for state-of-the-art classrooms, laboratories and computer labs.

"The past decade has seen rapid growth and we've nearly doubled enrollment to 11,000 students," UTM principal Ian Orchard said. "The increased numbers mean an increased need for space to create an environment for success."

Source

Last edited:
The logical place for this would be on the south side of Burnhamthorpe, west of Confederation Parkway. Having said that, I would quickly add that I have no inside info.

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

How sweet would it be if this were built on one of the Square One parking lots? It would definitely prove that Mississauga is serious about creating a true city centre. The North-west lot would be a great site. Close to CCTT. The residences (if any are built) should also help add some life to MCC.

Hmm I don't think the Square One parking lot would be a good location for a campus. I am very curious where it's going to go.

Sheridan College in MCC

I'm pretty confident its going to be built on the Square One parking lot across from City Hall as outlined in the proposed new Downtown Mississauga plan.

Louroz

Hmm I don't think the Square One parking lot would be a good location for a campus. I am very curious where it's going to go.

Why not?

Its close to transit and close to entertainment, not to mention that the parking lots need to be redeveloped. I don't see a better space for it.

How substantial will this campus be, exactly?

9,260 students in total according to the article, Sheridan today has a total of 16,000 students at both Trafalgar and Davis Campus'.

Sounds like it will be just as big as the other 2. It also seems like there are plans for expansion at this campus since they are calling this phase 1.

The addition of a college/university campus is one of the best ways to increase the vibrancy of a neighbourhood.

7500 continuing education students, though...that's a whole different ballgame than, say, a college campus with 9000 full-time undergrads taking more than just business programs.

If/when it grows, perhaps it could follow Ryerson's model and build an urban campus on a compact but not 100% contiguous site. Every downtown needs a bit of randomness.

The logical place for this would be on the south side of Burnhamthorpe, west of Confederation Parkway. Having said that, I would quickly add that I have no inside info.

That a large pracel and would allow for expansion down the road.

The other area is on the south side of Burnhamthrope next to the Davis building or across the street from it.

The north west corner of Sq One is another location.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back