1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 9.1K     2 

Mississauga Master Transportation Study For Lakeshore

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Mississauga has under taken at Master Transportation Study for the Lakeshore Rd running from Etobicoke Creek in the east to Winston Churchill in the west. It is also includes the area between the lake and the QEW.

It will look at everything including LRT for the next 25 years.

The study is call Lakeshore Connecting Communities @ http://connectlakeshore.ca and you can regerster to get your name on the list to be notify of PIC or other events.

LRT is plan going east of Hurontario, but will not connect to TTC system. If and how far the LRT will go west is part of this study.

The project is headed up by HDR Corporation

It should be noted that the Inspiration Lakeview Master Plan calls for a higher order transit (TBD) "loop" through some of the proposed street network.

One would hope that through the Lakeshore Connecting Communities study, it is determined that a direct connection to Long Branch is deemed more practical than a loop on the Inspiration Lakeview site.

... WHY aren't they interested in connecting to TTC in the east? Would that not be desirable???

The Hurontario LRT will use a different track gauge than the 501 Queen.

I can't imagine that LRT will ever be built on Lake Shore in Mississauga.

I have said before Hurontario LRT and Transit City should be TTC gauge, to avoid problems like this. Lakeshore East should be light rail. It should be an extension of the 501 (Waterfront West LRT) to Port Credit. No other option makes sense.

What is HDR's role in this?
They are the consulting project managers.

The lakeshore LRT east is in both the city & Peel master plan as of 2006. It was to be a branch off Hurontario like the one going west to the Credit River.

The ward councilor and the area prefer the line underground since they are not willing to give up parking and road space for the line.

As long as Metrolinx is calling the shots on LRT lines under their control, it will never be TTC gauge so both systems can interline.

In my 2006 transit plan, I call for the Steeles LRT Line in Brampton and Toronto to be one continues line using the same gauge. It can still happen, but not TTC.

If by chance, the Queensway LRT was built in both Toronto and Mississauga, it could be TTC gauge up to Hurontario LRT, forcing riders to transfer to each other, or both stopping at Etobicoke Creek as 2 differnt lines.

I've never understood the desire to have everything interline. yes, in some cases its nice, but Metrolinx or Mississauga shouldn't be hamstrung by an old gauge for building what could otherwise be off the shelf LRT. Long Branch GO makes perfect sense for an LRT interchange, where both system can connect to higher order transit and people can transfer from one LRT to the other. So long as there is schedule coordination, i don't see what the problem is, as it will likely save lots of money not to build everything to TTC gauge.

I have said before Hurontario LRT and Transit City should be TTC gauge, to avoid problems like this. Lakeshore East should be light rail. It should be an extension of the 501 (Waterfront West LRT) to Port Credit. No other option makes sense.

From Long Branch to Port Credit there is not room for additional stops along the Lakeshore West line without expropriation. But there will be one or two needed (Lakeview and Cawthra) with the growth of this corridor. Lakeview will have 8000+ residents (plus commercial) in a mid-rise community. Since the land is owned by the city/province any value increase due to transit will flow right back into their pockets. There are also a bunch of lots privately owned that have the opportunity for additional growth.

I can see an extension of the Hurontario LRT from Port Credit Go to Long Branch Go station with maybe 5 stops. More frequent than Hurontario since this portion of the line will be for shorter commutes (getting to Long Branch or Port Credit GO stations).

As for gauge....
"What we want to do is remove as much vehicle customization as possible, because we think we can achieve better value for the taxpayer by taking an international off-the-shelf standard design, basically the same proven LRT vehicles that are used elsewhere in Canada, the U.S. and Europe,"
https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...ty_measures_up_to_international_standard.html
(plus actually having them delivered in some reasonable time! A bit of foreshadowing here)

You would also need a loop in Port Credit with TTC cars (versus double ended cars).

As for gauge....
"What we want to do is remove as much vehicle customization as possible, because we think we can achieve better value for the taxpayer by taking an international off-the-shelf standard design, basically the same proven LRT vehicles that are used elsewhere in Canada, the U.S. and Europe,"
https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...ty_measures_up_to_international_standard.html
(plus actually having them delivered in some reasonable time! A bit of foreshadowing here)

You would also need a loop in Port Credit with TTC cars (versus double ended cars).

Yes you are absolutely right a loop would be required - but in the name of service flexibility, could it make sense to make the line dual-gauge? It really can't cost that much more to lay 1 extra rail each direction. Here is an example of it in Bohemia:
4895101428_7bb66a8816.jpg

From Long Branch to Port Credit there is not room for additional stops along the Lakeshore West line without expropriation. But there will be one or two needed (Lakeview and Cawthra) with the growth of this corridor. Lakeview will have 8000+ residents (plus commercial) in a mid-rise community. Since the land is owned by the city/province any value increase due to transit will flow right back into their pockets. There are also a bunch of lots privately owned that have the opportunity for additional growth.

I believe it's something like 15,000-20,000 residents, housed in approx 8,000 units. And I wouldn't doubt Sauga tweaking things and bumping these numbers up... anything near the lake is prime and obviously desirable/in-demand.

What I think could work is bringing both the 501 and Hurontario LRT to Lakeview, with a shared hub located right in the community. Either that or bring the 501 all the way to Hurontario.

Yes you are absolutely right a loop would be required - but in the name of service flexibility, could it make sense to make the line dual-gauge? It really can't cost that much more to lay 1 extra rail each direction. Here is an example of it in Bohemia:

For TTC/standard dual gauge you would probably want 4 rails. The difference between TTC and standard gauge is 6cm, which is about 1cm less than the rail width; so you would either need special rails (expensive) with skinny heads that wear down quickly (even more expensive) or a special super-fat rail with a grove in it so both can use a single rail (also expensive), or 4 rails and a wider row (land expropriation might be expensive).

Lakeshore Connecting Communities Public Meetings
Our September public open houses are starting soon. Drop by to give your opinion and learn more about:

• The transit strategy for the Lakeshore Communities
  • The analysis of an additional crossing of the Credit River
  • Alternative street designs for Lakeshore Road and Royal Windsor Drive
You will have the opportunity to visit information stations, share your ideas and discuss with the Project Team. The open houses will take place on:

Wednesday, September 20
Clarke Memorial Hall
161 Lakeshore Road West, Port Credit
5:30 - 8:30 p.m.

Tuesday, September 26
Mississauga Senior's Centre
1389 Cawthra Road, Lakeview

Wednesday, September 27
Chartwell Baptist Church
1880 Lakeshore Road West, Clarkson

For more information about the project, visit connectlakeshore.ca.

Something was said last Tuesday Night Meeting for the Waterfront Reset Transit Study that caught my ear since it was the first time I heard it, but got lost with the Union Loop.

At tonight meeting for the Lakeshore plan, what I heard last week show up as option 3. Option 3 call for TTC 501 to continue into Mississauga and go west over the Port Credit River to the Imperial Oil Land redevelopment and loop there. This would removed the need to extend the Hurontario LRT over to Long Branch Loop. Since this section will be the highest need area for High Order Transit, you could use TTC as part of the High Order plan. There will never be in our life time to have High Order Transit West of the Imperial Oil Lands, only buses.

The Hurontario Line wouldn't offer the service TTC 501 could offer.

There is no plan for what the Long Branch Hub will look like.

If the 501 did come into Mississauga, what would happen to both the 23 and the 5 since they would be duplicating the 501 service?

A lot of people opposed to having transit in its own lane or part of mix traffic as well removing on street parking on Lakeshore.

The proposal of building a new crossing over the river is long over due, but the most important one was missing and that the Queensway. Its supposed to be not part of the study because some pols don't want to see that extension build.

Have very mix feeling on what been proposed and not going help anyone.

The material is not on line at this time.

Last edited:
Lakeshore Connecting Communities Open Houses
The City of Mississauga is holding the final open houses for Lakeshore Connecting Communities. Learn about the proposed recommendations and provide input.

Open House Details

Date: Thursday, July 12, 2018
Time: 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
1389 Cawthra Road, Lakeview

Date: Monday, July 16, 2018
151 Lakeshore Road West, Port Credit

Date: Tuesday, July 24, 2018
UCC, 1700 Mazo Crescent, Clarkson

Find out more about Lakeshore Connecting Communities at connectlakeshore.ca.

Back