News   Apr 25, 2024
 321     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 997     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Mississauga Celebration Square Redevelopment (CS&P Architects) COMPLETE

While I agree, mind you that some of those parks are just temporary as in the coming years, more buildings will come. Not to mention, the area behind and next to Sheridan will be more additions to the college.

There's way too much parkland in the area. On the district map legend, there are two more future parks planned. It looks like MCC is going for the "tower in the park" look after all. :(

It's more of a chain of parks forming a "greenbelt" within the City Centre. I think that's what they focused on. Plus, the sidewalks will feature trees. So, during the fall, there will be full of leaves at the City Centre.

Also, only the western side will be having a lot of green space. The other three sides won't, where public spaces are squares instead of parks.

Last edited:
It would be cool to see a core urban area surrounded by a ring of parks and gardens like Planty, around Krakow's old city. That ring also links various important institutions and tourist attractions. Somewhat similar was the original grid plan for Toronto in the late 18th century that was replaced by a simpler grid that we see today. Gother Mann's plan (Unbuilt Toronto, p. 16) shows a grid of streets surrounded by a ring of "common space" and then a wider-spaced grid presumably for more rural estates, but with the possibility of subdivision for urban expansion. Interestingly, all the most important public institutions were to be located on a perfectly central public square, with four additional squares in the initial one square mile townsite. Too bad it wasn't built that way, but since we continue to urbanize today, it's good to know about the various alternative schemes for urban plans for opportunities do arise to do things a little differently.

It would be cool to see a core urban area surrounded by a ring of parks and gardens like Planty, around Krakow's old city. That ring also links various important institutions and tourist attractions. Somewhat similar was the original grid plan for Toronto in the late 18th century that was replaced by a simpler grid that we see today. Gother Mann's plan (Unbuilt Toronto, p. 16) shows a grid of streets surrounded by a ring of "common space" and then a wider-spaced grid presumably for more rural estates, but with the possibility of subdivision for urban expansion. Interestingly, all the most important public institutions were to be located on a perfectly central public square, with four additional squares in the initial one square mile townsite. Too bad it wasn't built that way, but since we continue to urbanize today, it's good to know about the various alternative schemes for urban plans for opportunities do arise to do things a little differently.

sometimes i cant bear looking at these.... it just hurts me inside to know that our city might have been better...

There's way too much parkland in the area. On the district map legend, there are two more future parks planned. It looks like MCC is going for the "tower in the park" look after all. :(

Park 10a will be part of Parkside Village that will link Zonta Meadows -> Parkside Village Park -> Community Common all of which will be surrounded by 20,000 residents, City Hall, Sheridan and LAC. Park 10b will be run through the Sheridan Campus. I consider this to be towers next to a park rather than "tower in the park".

Just curious: Does your "tower in the park" definition also apply to everything built around Central Park in NYC, Stanley Park in Vancouver or even the future neighbourhood around Sherborne Common on the TO waterfront? If not, how is this different?

For your reference:
HPIM6570.jpg

Sheridan
20100513006.jpg

Last edited:
Someone mentioned the stance against advertising on the big screens.

Does this rule out, for example, televising a Leafs playoff game on the big screens down the road? That would be disappointing.

As for the Memorial, I agree, it's pretty bare. But it looked really good in the night shot Jasonzed posted a page or two ago.

That set of screens by Duke of York was not there the last time I did a photo shot and it went up quick.

A lot of landscaping taking place, including the centre section for the pond/skating area.

The big day is only 2 week away for the construction folks.

Totally against any advertisment on these screens, other than City events.

As for the City Park, it sucks and I have said so.

June 3
They cut the grass and you can see there more than the 6 cap plates in the grass in front of the stage.
5796153594_e807a5347a_b.jpg

5796154630_c5aeabeffb_b.jpg

5796142934_0d153905d9_b.jpg

5795575437_b8e24503a8_b.jpg

5795573563_a73c5a8def_b.jpg

http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/home;jsessionid=KCVV5GNLVUMCPTRPH3XT44WOF25W2PW0?paf_gear_id=9700020&itemId=110800353n&returnUrl=%2Fportal%2Fhome%3Bjsessionid%3DKCVV5GNLVUMCPTRPH3XT44WOF25W2PW0

Popular Bollywood Singer, Monali Thakur, Opens Mississauga IIFA Buzz Weekend Celebration

Jun 07, 2011

Put your dancing shoes on and get ready to groove the night away to a live performance featuring Bollywood playback singer Monali Thakur during the opening night of Mississauga's IIFA Buzz weekend celebration, Friday, June 24.

"We are thrilled to announce that popular Bollywood singer, Monali Thakur will be entertaining the crowds during the opening night of our Mississauga IIFA Buzz festivities," said Susan Burt, City of Mississauga director, Culture Division. "Mississauga Celebration Square is definitely the place to be for IIFA Buzz excitement."

Monali’s music has been included in many popular Bollywood movies including the film, Race, in which her song Zara Zara Touch Me, was nominated in 2009 for an International Indian Film Academy (IIFA) Award.

To prepare residents for IIFA Buzz weekend and to ensure everyone has the right Bollywood moves, Culture Division is hosting three Flash Mob events in the City on Wednesday, June 8th. The dance routine can be reviewed online in advance of the activity by visiting www.mississauga.ca/iifabuzz.

Flash Mob Locations
All Flash Mob activities are taking place on Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Hurontario Street and Robert Speck Parkway at noon
Hurontario Street and Dundas Street East at 1 p.m.
Lakeshore Road East and Stavebank Road North at 2:15 p.m.

A complete itinerary of Mississauga IIFA Buzz events can be found online by visiting, www.mississauga.ca/iifabuzz.

Read more on the website....
http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/discover/iifa

People just hanging about...
20110609049.jpg

20110609053.jpg

20110609059.jpg

Looking at these latest pictures I get the feeling I'm peering into someone's living room. The openness of the square really belies the cozy, intimate feel.

As usual Jasonzed, great pics. I follow the Mississauga Development thread over at SSC and look forward to your regular updates on some of the lesser known developments.

I always thought the water feature will be a fountain of some sort. Is this it? LOL

Never a fountain and what you see is what was plan

Was this worth $40m???.................No

Back