News   Apr 26, 2024
 93     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 409     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.2K     4 

Mississauga Celebration Square Redevelopment (CS&P Architects) COMPLETE

I've been taken the Spadina streetcar for my commute for a year and I still have no clue whatsoever what the 'timings' are all about in that thing!

It's just annoying to see people from Mississauga take a high stand regarding their 'attention to detail' when in reality they're just an upper middle class suburb that has NOTHING to take care of.

To be fair the vast majority of Mississaugan's don't try to deny that outside of places like UT.

Best thing about Mississauga are places like Erindale Park, Riverwood, and Rattray Marsh. I volunteered at Riverwood last summer and it was a great experience. Old people coming for birdwatching tours, initiatives to protect native species, etc. Refreshing stuff.

I don't think I've ever seen a single person making use of Mississauga's civic square at any given time.
Maybe because you've never gone up the stairs of the Civic Centre... I lived in the Beaches, moved to Brampton. And I tell you, I am really excited to use this square. Remember, not only Mississaugans use this, but some people of Brampton use the facility as well.

The whole Square One area is a horrible place and most of Hurontario (and most of Dundas) are a horrible place.
Because they are just starting... They don't have a master plan for Dundas yet. But they have funding to do that. You cannot make Hurontario/Dundas/City Centre to a European "urban paradise" overnight. The City has recently froze development around the Square One parking lots after Square One is building big-box stores and that made the City furious...

As for Mississauga caring about small details: are the bus timings online still out of synchrony with half of the ones posted by bus stops? Because they went MONTHS without fixing that and I still haven't checked to see if they have.

They update the paper schedules in bus stops once a service change will affect the stops that have schedules... But some changes don't necessarily reflect the entire route (like short-turns, which will only affect a part of the route)...

It's just annoying to see people from Mississauga take a high stand regarding their 'attention to detail' when in reality they're just an upper middle class suburb that has NOTHING to take care of.

Burnhamthorpe along Mississauga is smooth-sailing. But once in Toronto, KROK-KOROK-KOROK-KROK-KROK!!! :D:D:D This also applies to Bloor, Dundas, Lake( )shore and Eglinton. Definitely, they have something to take care of...

And what about the 100,000+ who took part in Downtown21 plan? And lots of people attending the Lakeview visioning? And people participating in the Hurontario corridor study? Definitely, they care about their own CITY.

Best thing about Mississauga
Refreshing stuff.

It would be even more refreshing if we could go back to topic and appreciate the evolution of Mississauga to a "second city" in the GTA.

Last edited:
^^^ +1

The old Square, which is now a distant memory and a moot point, had many design problems but many events were held and well attended. I, too, am very excited about the revamped square, the anticipation factor is quite high here in Mississauga at least in my circles. The new library pavilion (cafe) , the open air market, meandering Sheridan students, influx of new residences, curious SQ1 shoppers, etc. should fill-up the Square during non-event days quite nicely. If anything, it should be interesting to see how it all pans out...

New Citizen Day/South Asian Festival
HPIM1660.jpg

HPIM1665.jpg

Canada Day
07012009a033.jpg

07012009a032.jpg

07012009a036.jpg

Ribfest
HPIM2001.jpg

Community Awareness Day
mississauga271.jpg

Public Works Day
Mississauga2375.jpg

Mosaic '09
Mississauga2889.jpg

Many wedding receptions/picture taking sessions are held in the Square and the Tower Cafe (will be moving to the ground floor facing the new Square)
Mississauga2887.jpg

Motown Night
08092009a001.jpg

Musical acts
08092009015.jpg

Outdoor Summer Theatre performing King Lear
08152009a012.jpg

08152009a010.jpg

Last edited:
1. Maybe because you've never gone up the stairs of the Civic Centre... I lived in the Beaches, moved to Brampton. And I tell you, I am really excited to use this square. Remember, not only Mississaugans use this, but some people of Brampton use the facility as well.

2. Because they are just starting... They don't have a master plan for Dundas yet. But they have funding to do that. You cannot make Hurontario/Dundas/City Centre to a European "urban paradise" overnight. The City has recently froze development around the Square One parking lots after Square One is building big-box stores and that made the City furious...

3. They update the paper schedules in bus stops once a service change will affect the stops that have schedules... But some changes don't necessarily reflect the entire route (like short-turns, which will only affect a part of the route)...

4. Burnhamthorpe along Mississauga is smooth-sailing. But once in Toronto, KROK-KOROK-KOROK-KROK-KROK!!! :D:D:D This also applies to Bloor, Dundas, Lake( )shore and Eglinton. Definitely, they have something to take care of... And what about the 100,000+ who took part in Downtown21 plan? And lots of people attending the Lakeview visioning? And people participating in the Hurontario corridor study? Definitely, they care about their own CITY.

5. It would be even more refreshing if we could go back to topic and appreciate the evolution of Mississauga to a "second city" in the GTA.

1. I have. The library is really nice too. But I've never seen people wandering around the square. It only seems to be busy when there's a festival - but these festivals could be done in any of the surrounding parking lots and still attract a lot of people. The situation in the square can only improve with the new Sheridan campus and the renovations, though.

2. Earlier this year I was eating at a Colombian restaurant near Dundas and Hurontario. I swear the view from the window was one of the ugliest most depressing streetscapes I have ever seen in my life. I don't care why or for how long it's going to stay this way. It's unbelievably rich, stupid, and annoying to say things such as 'unlike Toronto we care about small details' when talking about a 'city' where public spaces look predominantly like that.

3. I don't think you know what I'm talking about. For months some of the stuff they posted online was off. The old falling apart paper signs were right - but if you used their trip planner or online thing for resources you'd get the wrong timings over and over again. My girlfriend and I have missed (completely) a number of buses since Miway was implemented because of this. They were aware of the situation, but went a long time without fixing it.

4. I've never been to an upper-middle-class suburb with poorly laid out streets, have you? I'd appreciate it if some of that money went into public transit. It's a joke how hard it is to get out of Streetsville on a sunday for example. Do you really think Mississauga spends more money in road maintenance because they pay attention to detail - or because Toronto has other things to spend its money on?

As a former resident of Mississauga I've been involved in some of the initiatives you mention. I really do think that if they get the waterfront right and can successfully connect it to Port Credit, Mississauga is going to improve 500%. Looking forward to that, as well as for a possible Hurontario LRT.

5. Tell your "futuremayor" to not make irritant and nonsensical comments then. They remind me of this guy who used to say Mississauga was better than Oakville because it was bigger and there were more things to do, but quickly pointed out that it was also better than Toronto because Toronto was too big and busy, hahah. Personally I don't think any more highly of any Toronto suburb than of Mississauga - in fact, if anything I much prefer Mississauga.

Does anyone know if they are going to be renting out skates at the skating rink next year?

Stewardship stuff mostly. They get a lot of office workers during summer who are on a 'team-work-day-out-thing-experience' and they need volunteers to tell them what to do and how. Most of what we did was rooting out invasive species. What I enjoyed was that after they were done a lot of them would be up for a guided tour of the park - so I got to tour them around and teach them about the local ecosystem. It's a really nice environment to spend summer, and usually you only have to commit as many times as you want.

If only I lived closer I'd still be involved with them. I might do one or two sessions this summer if I have the chance to.

Is it my imagination or are they blocking the views of the building from the main street (and anywhere outside the square) with a lot of clutter and video screens (which will soon be broken). A bit of a shame.

From a pedestrian outside-the-square perspective the site lines are pretty good. From inside square there seems to be a cozy feel to it per FutureMayor's post re "the Living Room" effect...very inviting...

20110318031.jpg

20110318030.jpg

20110318032.jpg

20110318033.jpg

20110318034.jpg

20110318035.jpg

Stewardship stuff mostly. They get a lot of office workers during summer who are on a 'team-work-day-out-thing-experience' and they need volunteers to tell them what to do and how. Most of what we did was rooting out invasive species. What I enjoyed was that after they were done a lot of them would be up for a guided tour of the park - so I got to tour them around and teach them about the local ecosystem. It's a really nice environment to spend summer, and usually you only have to commit as many times as you want.

If only I lived closer I'd still be involved with them. I might do one or two sessions this summer if I have the chance to.

Thx for the feedback...

Great pics as always Jasonzed.

Between celebration square and community common park, I've noticed a real penchant for steel columns. This is especially the case with the stage area at celebration square.

This is my opinion but I would have liked it better if things didn't feel so heavy, it's all so utilitarian.

Is the amphitheatre complete?

Are there any plans for office and retail development in the MCC area? This streets always seem so empty.

Last edited:
Most new condos of some form of retail at there base. That's just about it as far as I'm aware. No office plans ... but they'd like to see them, so I'm sure they'll attempt to attract them to the area.

But btw, I'll tell you something from experience on Hi-way 7 (near the 404). Offices alone don't make the street more livable or lively at all. It's the mix of retail + residential + office that's magic.
Hopefully projects like downtown markham / toronto's east bayfront will get it right. In terms of the master planned communities that generally don't turn out great.

Back