News   Apr 18, 2024
 632     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 5.5K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.3K     4 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Then and Now for Jan 26.

Then. 276-278-280 Roncesvalles. c1910. Todays picture sourced by wwwebster. 'These buildings illustrate the possibilities of ROMAN STONE for trimmings on the moderate-priced dwelling'.

369276-280Roncesvallesc1910.jpg

Now. July 2011. BeeRich's dad's Pinto yet still lives; re-painted in a modern shade of 70s tan.

370.jpg

Then and Now for Jan 26.

Then. 276-278-280 Roncesvalles. c1910. Todays picture sourced by wwwebster. 'These buildings illustrate the possibilities of ROMAN STONE for trimmings on the moderate-priced dwelling'.

369276-280Roncesvallesc1910.jpg

Now. July 2011. BeeRich's dad's Pinto yet still lives; re-painted in a modern shade of 70s tan.

370.jpg

The houses are nice, even if a porch or two has been enclosed.
And sorry Moose, that is a Pontiac Astre not a Ford. It is the sister to the Chevy Vega, a very interesting car of some historical importance to automotive enthusiests. They where designed for vertical transport!
220px-Vert_A_Pac_railcar.jpg

"'These buildings illustrate the possibilities of ROMAN STONE for trimmings . . ."

THE ROMAN STONE CO; a pony* in the stable of Sir Henry Pellatt.

(BTW, Casa Loma was the showcase for the above product as was the E W Gillett Co's plant on Fraser Avenue, 1912.)

Regards,
J T

*Sorry Gents, couldn't resist the interjection even though it is a Astre..

Hope I'm not repeating a previous post.

Scarborough's 'Golden Mile' ... Eglinton/Victoria Park/O'connor c.1940 and 1970

GoldenMile1940sweb.jpg

GoldenMile1970sweb.jpg

The houses are nice, even if a porch or two has been enclosed.
And sorry Moose, that is a Pontiac Astre not a Ford. It is the sister to the Chevy Vega, a very interesting car of some historical importance to automotive enthusiests. They where designed for vertical transport!
220px-Vert_A_Pac_railcar.jpg

I was surprised to see that car on Roncesvalles.. they were cheap to buy and throwaways at the end of their mechanical lives. I have a self originated theory that the very few economy cars from the 70s that are still on our roads were purchased by owners at that time who were heading into their retirement years.. and didn't drive them much. These cars were mostly garaged and then eventually found their way into the hands of grandchildren of these original owners. These grandchildren have no qualms about driving something so old and odd as they were likely 'free' cars. My daughter got an early 80s Toyota off my dad in this fashion.

That's my theory anyways. :)

THE ROMAN STONE CO; a pony* in the stable of Sir Henry Pellatt.

Hyundai Pony. :) If anyone here bought one 30 years ago they provided something like seed capital, or at least encouragement, to the company that is Hyundai today. Couldn't stop looking at a Hyundai Genesis in the parking lot here. Mighty fine looking automobile.

Then and Now for Jan 27.

Then. Dominion Bank. Dundas and Medland, SW corner, c1918.

371DundasMedlandSWc1918.jpg

Now. June 2011. Now a Toronto Dominion Bank; there was a merger in 1955, doncha' know. :) Lovely building still. Are those apartments upstairs?

372.jpg

Hyundai Pony. :) If anyone here bought one 30 years ago they provided something like seed capital, or at least encouragement, to the company that is Hyundai today. Couldn't stop looking at a Hyundai Genesis in the parking lot here. Mighty fine looking automobile.

That company, and South Korea, have grown on wonderful things they have offered to the World. Actually, that model is something most of us would remember, except for lonely monkeys, and their simple bananas. Since then, Japanese auto manufacturers have adopted Kaizen (not in the monkey book) and North American counterparts have...been the very foundation of the breakdown of the Western economy. So, The Hyundai Pony was the Asian Home Depot. The GM and Ford, both "economic indicators" of their time, are nothing but arms-length government items that are out of touch, and filled with people that think they can still go out for a malt and bowling.

Moving into the future is indeed great. Hyundai is "The Joneses" of today. As is Toyota and Subaru. Back then they were indeed questionable, but people bought them. The Dacia was another visible question. Stories abound about parts coming off mid-drive. South Korea has thumped our domestic whining unions. Good on them. The Pinto's problems were indeed a problem of the car. Obviously not enough testing. Much like most employees today.

Hope I'm not repeating a previous post.

Scarborough's 'Golden Mile' ... Eglinton/Victoria Park/O'connor c.1940 and 1970

GoldenMile1940sweb.jpg

Always love looking at these 2 photos Goldie. I have heard over the years of a mushroom farm around this area. Do you or anybody know where exactly it was and photo's would be nice also.

GoldenMile1970sweb.jpg
Great photos Goldie. Do you know of a mushroom farm , with photos , that was around here somewhere?

Geco

Unfortunately, I know nothing of a mushroom farm.
My greatest interest in the area is the munitions plant (GECO - General Engineering Co.) that was the build nearby c.1943. (S. of Eglinton, near Warden/Birchmount)
A few of the structures remain and I enjoy searching for them.

Attachments

• GECO 2.jpg
    GECO 2.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 358
  • GECO 3.jpg
    GECO 3.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 390
  • GECO 4.jpg
    GECO 4.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 329
  • GECO 5.jpg
    GECO 5.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 335
  • plaque 2.jpg
    plaque 2.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 346
  • GECO building web.jpg
    GECO building web.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 342
  • plaque 1.jpg
    plaque 1.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 419
Last edited:
Unfortunately, I know nothing of a mushroom farm.
My greatest interest in the area is the munitions plant (GECO - General Engineering Co.) that was the build nearby c.1943. (S. of Eglinton, near Warden/Birchmount)
A few of the structures remain and I enjoy searching for them.

I sure wish my mother was more forthcoming with her stories of working here! All I know was she put detonator caps on the bombs and the new flourescent lighting was hard on the eyes and left her with permanent vision issues. She blamed it on the 25 cycle power to the new flourescent tubes. But that's all I have to say about that.

Is this the mushroom farm in the 1947 aerial?
O'Connor meeting Victoria Park (then Dawes Rd?) at the top.
Mushroom farm.jpg

Attachments

• Mushroom farm.jpg
    Mushroom farm.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 1,153

Back