News   Mar 28, 2024
 276     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 327     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 685     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

December 5 addition.

Another vintage ad from UTer ValsHere. Looks like they had quite the distribution network back in the day.

Admiral.jpg

Then. Toronto Archives note: "Item is an image of a gas station located at 441 Jane St., on the south east corner of Jane St. and Hanley St., John L. Vella, dealer." "196-"

f1257_s1057_it0574.jpg

Now. November 2010.

DSC_0083.jpg

They'll repave it. I think of the miilions of litres of gas saved each year by eliminating that jog, or perhaps more people will take to their cars - who knows? I wonder if someone will do a study of traffic volumes pre and post?

As a "next stage", they almost certainly will rebuild that stretch; but the Dufferin washboard remains a "momentary condition"--and likewise, I was wondering that had the Dundas Extension been complete in 1954, the "unimproved" original stub section E of Broadview would itself have been "momentary condition". (Though the additional photos render the question moot.)

Well, at least Larry Sommers maintained the *idea* of the shopfront, even if the details were trashed. (Not that trashing such details is forgivable or anything.)

Just discovered this one via Collation's uploads today. Maybe someone else more tech-savvy can post the picture better?

432 Queen E, 1989:
5230589168_ee81670c47_z.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32175940@N06/5230589168/sizes/z/in/photostream/

Today (note the third storey!):
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...RZO35SfYdPUeAOoxwVSLWg&cbp=12,346.43,,0,-2.26

I had always thought there was something fishy about this building. Interesting to note the abandoned storefronts in the 1989 picture. Also, if you zoom in, I wonder if that's part of a Wittenveen Meats & Deli sign (WV has other stores in Toronto on Bloor West, as well as a stall in St Lawrence market).

Last edited:
Just discovered this one via Collation's uploads today. Maybe someone else more tech-savvy can post the picture better?

432 Queen E, 1989:
5230589168_ee81670c47_z.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32175940@N06/5230589168/sizes/z/in/photostream/

Today (note the third storey!):
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...RZO35SfYdPUeAOoxwVSLWg&cbp=12,346.43,,0,-2.26

I had always thought there was something fishy about this building. Interesting to note the abandoned storefronts in the 1989 picture. Also, if you zoom in, I wonder if that's part of a Wittenveen Meats & Deli sign (WV has other stores in Toronto on Bloor West, as well as a stall in St Lawrence market).

Bestway / Bikoe building: they may have gutted the old building to the walls - it's nice to see a reasonably sympathetic renovation, although some here with more refined eyes may tell us otherwise.

Wittenveen Meats... in 1989 they had already vacated these premises; there couldn't have been much walk-in traffic here. At the St. Lawrence Market on Saturdays they usually have a prepared hot item like a roast or ribs. Why cook when it's already done for you? :)

December 7 addition.

Then. 1960 something. We are looking at the NW corner of Richmond and Queen. For you out-of-towners, or those that don't venture downtown :), that's the Simpson's department store all decked out for Christmas. For most of the 20th century, Simpsons and the Eatons department stores duked it out for the retail dollar of Canadian consumers. I don't know which was the larger chain, I think it was Eatons.

In 1960s New York City our Simpsons and Eatons example might be B. Altman and Macys. Perhaps LI Mike will chime in.

fo0124_f0124_fl0001_id0080.jpg

This Simpsons store had a gun and fishing tackle department that carried extremely high end stuff - Purdey shot guns - that rested on velvet in wooden cases, Hardy of England fly fishing reels and bamboo rods. Terrific stuff for wealthy sportsmen adults that this kid couldn't afford. I did manage to buy a vinyl case for fishing flies. Still have it, see below. Call it an aspirational purchase. My fly rod and reel came from Canadian Tire.

DSC_0023.jpg

Now. December 6 2010. Our Simpsons store is now The Bay. The Bay has some splendid Christmas Windows on Queen street worth the looking.

DSC_0967.jpg

Last edited:
Eatons was by far the larger chain. At one point in the 50/60's it controlled something like 40% of ALL retail in Canada. Simpsons was much smaller and in many markets the chain was actually called Simpsons-Sears with Sears having some control.

Mustapha: After being mentioned I had to reply...I recall the big two Manhattan retailers were Macy's and Gimbel's back in the 60s era...you got Macy's right as they were #1 and they had and still do have one of the world's largest stores in Herald Square...LI MIKE

Exactly--within the Herald Square context, it was Macys vs Gimbels all the way (w/Saks, later Korvettes, as the middleman)

Two gas stations on the north-west corner? There's one of those iconic Joy Oil "castle" gas stations partially visible on the corner, with a Sunoco station to it's north.

The Don Station

It's seen many locations - at least it's being preserved!

Attachments

• TN Don Station.jpg
    TN Don Station.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 511

Back