News   Mar 28, 2024
 551     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 356     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Danforth Ave, west of Coxwell, looking west 1936 CTA
View attachment 418130

Interesting to see:

3 streetcar tracks in the image above; I'm assuming one was a diversion track while another was being worked on, as that was TTC norm back in-a-day...

The extensive use of Marquees, at least one was for a cinema/theatre; but another was advertising a Billiards establishment!

Great posting as always @Goldie

Edit to add, this is the theatre in the 'then' image up top.............still standing today:

1659707145113.png

In Goldie's second image, you can get the realization that the screen/fly area was at the front of the building. Per Goldie, the screen was in fact at the rear. That's some odd building architecture to get you there.......but I'm sure his memory is correct!

Looking at the building from the rear laneway, I don't know if you would realize its age:

1659707416694.png

Last edited:
Thanks for those additions, Northern Light.
I was certainly aware of the location of the Oxford cinema, because I occasionally went there in the 1940s-50s.
I must disagree with your conclusion that the screen was at the front....that's not my recollection.
I think the small, third floor, window was the projection room.

Last edited:
Thanks for those additions, Northern Light.
I was certainly aware of the location of the Oxford cinema, because I occasionally went there in the 1940s-50s.
I must disagree with your conclusion that the screen was at the front....that's not my recollection.
I think the small, third floor, window was the projection room.

Ahh! Ok then, so it must have had a fairly steep rake? (sloped floor); because the building's high point is clearly the Danforth frontage.

Back