News   Mar 28, 2024
 331     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Richmond looking east at Peter:

1972:

s0841_fl0048_it0031.jpg

2022:

richmondpetereast.jpg

The classic QEW lighting we associate w/the Credit River bridge today was used there as well.

That should be restored, as should the monument, great 'gateway' feature.
Not that it really matters, but it would strangely be commemorating the start of the QEW in a mid-point of the Gardiner.

Not that it really matters, but it would strangely be commemorating the start of the QEW in a mid-point of the Gardiner.

Except that was the start of the QEW and historically was not the Gardiner.

It was renamed when it was downloaded.

NE corner of Richmond and Portland:

1955:

View attachment 392186

I like the fire hall better than the current use.

A couple of notes about that one............I knew, in passing, an old-timer who actually worked at this firehall and was still employed by TFS when this crew was shifted to new digs.

The firehall was built in 1871 and lasted to 1968.

A quick glance tells me that the replacement station (the only one to open in 1968 was the one on Claremont. (34)

Picture of the replacement facility below:

1651793161733.png

On that note, what says the room about doing a 'then and now' series for the various Toronto Fire Halls?

A list with dates and addresses can be found here: https://fire.fandom.com/wiki/Toronto_Fire_Services

I'm sure this one has been done before, but I just saw it come up on FB today, so let's look at Carlton Street at Yonge, when the tracks are being reconstructed to divert to College, connecting the two roads.

From the Toronto Archives:

1651793356047.png

Interesting street address................

Now for the current view:

1651793557237.png

I'm sure this one has been done before, but I just saw it come up on FB today, so let's look at Carlton Street at Yonge, when the tracks are being reconstructed to divert to College, connecting the two roads.

From the Toronto Archives:

View attachment 398312

Interesting street address................

Now for the current view:

View attachment 398313
Though I'm sure the connection is ultimately a net benefit, prior to the alignment College Park created quite the impressive, and imposing, view terminus.

20101129-1930-CarltonViewofCollegeStreetStoreUnderConstruction.jpeg

Back