News   Mar 28, 2024
 66     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 161     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 243     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

That link definitely has some sloppy dating--like, that "1960" view of Don Mills is definitely 1965-onward (new Esso logo, Foresters building extant, etc)

An interesting old house in the Don Valley (John Taylor house, Beechwood Drive, 1954 TPL)
Where was it located?.....Is that the Leaside Bridge in the background?
Could it have been replaced by "Toronto Police Dog Services?.......see attached map.
John Taylor, house, Beechwood Drive, east side, around Don Valley Parkway 1954  TPL.jpg

map - Beechwood Dr..jpg

An interesting old house in the Don Valley (John Taylor house, Beechwood Drive, 1954 TPL)
Could it have been replaced by "Toronto Police Dog Services?.......see attached map.

Or possibly by the DVP. (The lowlands where TPDS is being where the Domtar plant once was)

Really not sure where this info belongs but on the assumption that most who look at this thread like historical stuff I put it here. Online database of the City's artifact collection. https://toronto.minisisinc.com/scripts/mwimain.dll?logon&application=COLLECTIONS&language=144&file=[COT_OPAC]home.html Quite a few photos and postcards

Another fun place to lose a few hours, the digital city directories, complete with ads and maps. Very interesting. You might need a valid library card to sign in.

Another fun place to lose a few hours, the digital city directories, complete with ads and maps. Very interesting. You might need a valid library card to sign in.

Though I think you can access all the City Directories via TPL website with no library card, another great source for them is at: http://wherethestorytakesme.ca/toronto-city-directories/

Of course, there is also Nathan Ng's wonderful site for Goad's maps at http://wherethestorytakesme.ca/toronto-city-directories/ or look at the other links on the SLNA's heritage pages https://www.slna.ca/uploads/1/0/0/0/100075950/useful_online_heritage_resources.pdf

View attachment 261791

View attachment 261792

Definitely set too high to be where the TPS facility is today.

Not to mention, even in that time, who would have wanted to live that close to Domtar! (someone probably did.....but I digress)

Looking at the photo more, I initially thought the 'road' that's visible was Beechwood, where it turns. But I'm questioning that.

I wonder if that's not a driveway.

One thing that makes this challenging is that the Beechwood was substantially altered in the 20th C, notably by the DVP.

Last edited:
This is the current day view of the Millwood/Leaside Bridge from the DVP, Northbound, right as it passes over Beechwood:

1596814166140.png

Excellent viewpoint, Northern Light!
It appears to me that the house could have been right here......where DVP is now.

Even w/less foliage, the picture was either taken from further forward (closer to the bridge), and/or somewhat to the right (south).

You'll notice in the original picture you posted, you're seeing the south end of Millwood as it meets the slope, you're also seeing mostly the highest points on the bridge, not as low as you can see in the DVP photo.

I've found a couple of possibles.

One is 45 Beechwood, currently the last home on that street, the driveway angles up and forward and puts you at a elevation, based on topo maps of 17M or roughly 55ft above the DVP.

That's possible, although it seems to me to be a bit too far back (west) for that shot, might also be a bit too high.

The City very rarely erases old lot lines...........which made me have a look at one other spot.........

There are two lots identified on the City map beyond the end of Minden Place.

Neither has any buildings or road access.

The furthest one out seems like a possible.

I can't tell how flat the land is......

But I can see that 'road' in the picture being a private drive that linked Beechwood to Minton Place. But that's just speculation on my part.

1596818815057.png

You can see the lot for 45 Beechwood and the 2 empty lots off the end of Minton.

Here's an aerial:

1596818916472.png

The southern corner of this lot is only 2M above the DVP but slopes up fairly quickly.

But it could easily be on the DVP elevation but further towards the bridge, the topography here was substantially altered by the DVP

The motorway is probably why they took the picture in the first place, all of that area was reconfigured in the 50's and 60's.

And also, when it comes to present-day lot lines and such: keep in mind how as an access road to the mills-turned-Domtar below, Beechwood (and this house) predated the subdivision of this part of East York. So I'd have assumed that such things as Minton Place didn't even much figure, if it weren't for that intriguing "extra lot"...

Strangest thing - when I lived in England I used to go to the street markets, one day in Covent Garden I found a set of 12 1925+ postcards of Toronto, the weird colourized ones. Cost me a pound but they were worth it. When I came home sent copies to the archives and have been pleased to see them used in displays. To think they went all the way to England and ended up home again, just like me.

Back