News   Apr 15, 2024
 914     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 646     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Then, 60s Yorkdale mall, and Now, last night. The Then pictures were outside one of the mall restrooms.

P_20191217_205517_vHDR_Auto.jpg
P_20191217_211126_vHDR_Auto_1.jpg

P_20191217_205415_vHDR_Auto.jpg
P_20191217_210930_vHDR_Auto_1.jpg
P_20191217_205852_vHDR_Auto.jpg
P_20191217_211509_vHDR_Auto_1.jpg
P_20191217_205502_vHDR_Auto.jpg
P_20191217_210415_vHDR_Auto.jpg

Though it looks like they tried to "reinstate" it in the Simpsons Court, where the stalactites have lost some of the classical encrustation that came to mar it in later years...

Though it looks like they tried to "reinstate" it in the Simpsons Court, where the stalactites have lost some of the classical encrustation that came to mar it in later years...
Well I’m “classically encrusted” myself now...but back then we girls went to Yorkdale to pick up boys! They probably thought they picked us up, but noooo, we picked them up. ?

I have fond memories of riding the wilson bus to Yorkdale with my mum in probably 1974 or 1975 when I was about four or five. I'd have a grilled cheese sandwich at the counter in either the Simpson's or Eaton's cafeteria. Man those photos bring back memories!

I have fond memories of riding the wilson bus to Yorkdale with my mum in probably 1974 or 1975 when I was about four or five. I'd have a grilled cheese sandwich at the counter in either the Simpson's or Eaton's cafeteria. Man those photos bring back memories!
Prior to a place like Yorkdale or a local restaurant, one would go to either Eatons or Simpson’s dining rooms, or the Woolworth’s counter for a special treat. My special treat was a banana split at Eatons.

Perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me but I thought Zumburger was on the southeast corner of Yonge/Bloor in what eventually became a Roy Rogers. There was also another Zumburger on Bloor just west of Bay in a space which went on to become Bemelmans and then Toby's Good Eats.

Perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me but I thought Zumburger was on the southeast corner of Yonge/Bloor in what eventually became a Roy Rogers. There was also another Zumburger on Bloor just west of Bay in a space which went on to become Bemelmans and then Toby's Good Eats.
You are right. I got rotated in the wrong direction. Sorry
507FA5EB-C1EC-4427-BC47-D3178DC687B2.png

Interesting in that first photo, the hoarding for Scientology on the right (and the old-model stop sign, and the beer-stein street lights)

I remember that Zumburger on Bloor west of Bay. While rooming at Sussex Ave and Huron St we'd stroll up there for burgers and such. Where did that time go?!

Back