News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 638     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Yonge and Cummer: even the Food Basics and the old school shopping plaza to the south of it has vanished. A condo is going in.

Hastings & Peterkin, planing mill, Bay St., south west corner Temperance St. 1905 TPL
Hastings & Peterkin, planing mill, Bay St., south west corner Temperance St. 1905  TPL.jpg

Bay at Temperance S-W.jpg

Yonge and Cummer: even the Food Basics and the old school shopping plaza to the south of it has vanished. A condo is going in.

Good childhood memories of that area. A friend of my brother's family ran a dry cleaners on, I think, the N/W corner, and there used to be a cobbler on the east side. If I recall, an old world European guy with the neatest old Basset House as his constant store companion.

These chop suey houses... were the signs referring to the specific dish (which is pretty rare in Chinese restaurants now) or was chop suey a catch-all label for Chinese food in general?

Reinhardt Brewery Company, Mark St., north side, west side of Don Roadway W. looking south west from Dundas St. E. bridge over Don River. 1957 TPL
(Shows aftermath of fire, when building was occupied by Central Storage Co.);
Reinhardt Brewery Company, Mark St., north side, west side of Don Roadway W. (Shows aftermath ...jpg

Dundas St. E. above Bayview Extension.jpg

Back