News   Apr 16, 2024
 52     1 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 320     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 681     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

This is Front Street East at George/Frederick . The J& J Taylor Safeworks Building on right (now called 145 Front) on west side of Frederick and the Young peoples Theatre on the east side. 1927 and 2017.

ypt.jpg

145 front.JPG

Attachments

• 145 front.JPG
    145 front.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 784
  • ypt.jpg
    ypt.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 775
The photo of 'dirty' Old City Hall is extraordinary. I think it reveals in part how people became tolerant of demolition/loss of historic properties.

It certainly did not nearly as appealing in that state as it does today.

I once read about the washerwomen who helped save Old City Hall. During the debates over the future of the building in the 1960s, the building was covered in soot, and easily dismissed in some quarters as dark and oppressive Victorian architecture, especially compared to the fresh and bright new city hall next door. Some women got together and scrubbed the soot off a corner of Old City Hall at ground level, revealing the wonderful stone colours (a revelation to many Torontonians). It apparently added some colour, pun intended, to the fight to save the building.

I've tried to go back and find that article with no luck, and I cannot find any reference to this event anywhere else, or in newspapers from the day. So maybe my subconscious has made this up. But it's a good story.

Last edited:
I once read about the washerwomen who helped save Old City Hall. During the debates over the future of the building in the 1960s, the building was covered in soot, and easily dismissed in some quarters as dark and oppressive Victorian architecture, especially compared to the fresh and bright new city hall next door. Some women got together and scrubbed the soot off a corner of Old City Hall at ground level, revealing the wonderful stone colours (a revelation to many Torontonians). It apparently added some colour, pun intended, to the fight to save the building.

I've tried to go back and find that article with no luck, and I cannot find any reference to this event anywhere else, or in newspapers from the day. So maybe my subconscious has made this up. But it's a good story.

Here is the photo that probably went with the story.
hpegj2z3.jpg

Attachments

• hpegj2z3.jpg
    hpegj2z3.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 679
I do not think I have ever seen a picture of Union Station with a sign stuck on the 'pediment' before. I found a better copy on Archives site that shows the right-hand sign is Canadian National and, I assume, Canadian Pacific on left

Cn-CP.jpg

There always was, and is, the inscription in the stone:

Union-station.jpg

Attachments

• Cn-CP.jpg
    Cn-CP.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 997
  • Union-station.jpg
    Union-station.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 1,065
While looking for the 2 pics above I found this - apparently from 8 march 1923: (Though the station did not open for several more years, August 1927.)
clock.jpg

I had always assumed that there was always an information desk below the clock but apparently not. Though what all the 'doors' are is a mystery.

Attachments

• clock.jpg
    clock.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 727
I do not think I have ever seen a picture of Union Station with a sign stuck on the 'pediment' before. I found a better copy on Archives site that shows the right-hand sign is Canadian National and, I assume, Canadian Pacific on left

View attachment 146868
There always was, and is, the inscription in the stone:

View attachment 146869

The coal soot must have covered the stonework that the etching was almost unreadable. Hence, the illuminated "UNION STATION" sign.

The old c1872 Fire Hall clock tower at Yonge and Charles squints in the light of day again after many decades of being surrounded by later retail buildings. Pictures taken this evening. The tower will be preserved/incorporated into the 'Halo' condominium.

Perhaps it could be a very tall party room. :)

P6210078.JPG
P6210079.JPG
P6210081.JPG

Attachments

• P6210078.JPG
    P6210078.JPG
    294.5 KB · Views: 647
  • P6210079.JPG
    P6210079.JPG
    265.1 KB · Views: 684
  • P6210081.JPG
    P6210081.JPG
    287.3 KB · Views: 687
The old c1872 Fire Hall clock tower at Yonge and Charles squints in the light of day again after many decades of being surrounded by later retail buildings. Pictures taken this evening. The tower will be preserved/incorporated into the 'Halo' condominium.

Perhaps it could be a very tall party room. :)
I remember that at the time of the last renovation there (about a decade ago) the Star (I think) had an article about how they had to shovel tons of pigeon guano out of the top section of the tower. Great to see it is being preserved!

Back