News   Apr 24, 2024
 592     0 

Minto Yorkville (61 Yorkville @ Bay, Minto, 18s, P+S) COMPLETE

G

ganjavih

Minto tower elevates Yorkville

Minto is good news for neighbourhood

CHRISTOPHER HUME

The Minto Yorkville is one of a series of residential towers that is now remaking Bay St. north of Bloor.

Situated on the southwest corner of Bay and Yorkville, it is a mid-rise rental (actually not a condo) that enhances its part of the city, even adding a much-needed element of urbanity to one of Toronto's main thoroughfares.

From Bay, Minto Yorkville (61 Yorkville) is a mid-rise glass-and-brick tower sitting on top of a two-storey base. Not surprisingly, instead of real stone the podium is made of precast concrete, which inevitably means it fails to meet the architectural expectations it raises. Unfortunately, the base also happens to be cluttered with bad light fixtures and endless banners put up by Pusateri's, which occupies the entire ground floor.

Though the main façade looks onto Bay, the entrance is on Yorkville, hidden from the street. Just as well, too, as the entrance, dark and utilitarian, is one of the least impressive features of the complex.

Above, however, the boxy but lively exterior manages to fill space in a way that doesn't offend the eye or overwhelm the view. Given what has happened to Yorkville in recent years, the Minto can only be considered good news.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GRADE: B

040318_condo_yorkville_200.jpg

RENE JOHNSTON/TORONTO STAR
The Minto Yorkville is boxy yet lively, writes Christopher Hume.

id have given it at least a B+. the only awkward thing about that building are the two domes. i give them points for trying, but they look kinda out of place. does anyone know what's underneath them? i wouldve figured the penthouse was just the mechnical room

"id have given it at least a B+."

Me too... and I like the domes too.

I was just in the area and the building has a great street presence... looking forward to seeing the Regency across the street. The hoarding is up but no excavation yet.

In related news, the faux Victorians on Yorkville look like they're to be demolished soon... most of the businesses have left.

The domes are what made me notice the building- i really think they look terrific. Love the brick and scale of the project. They could have done better at ped level, its a little too bland, but all in all its one of the better condo efforts. I would give it a B+ also.

And this is one case where the concrete looks fine. I agree that B is too low.

I like Pusateri's lighting as well. I would have given this an A. There's actually not much I don't like about this building, it always makes me smile when I go by.

The Domes are also a play off the dome of Minto's other project the Prince Arthur or whatever it's called at the other end of the street.

I like the lighting of the domes at night.

I would have given this project an A

I like the base. Very urban. The precast is actually quite attractive and the building meets the street nicely. I also like the copper domes on the roof. Also, very urban. They're a nice counterpoint to the dome atop the Prince Arthur, as seen from a distance. Its the floors in between that I don't like. Very suburban. They seem kind of bland and 'off-the-rack,' as if cut from a building in Thornhill. Overall, I think the building deserves a B or B+.

Back