News   Mar 28, 2024
 22     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 530     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 345     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

The report also mentions that Pearson International Airport could be located in both Zones B and C for easier access to the airport. Considering the fact that travel between Zones A and B will cost the same, one can travel from Downtown to the Airport for just $3.25. That could help drive up ridership for the UP Express or whatever they turn the UP into once it becomes part of the RER network.

Scarborough Centre to Square One - $3.50 via 401 (GO Route 94), and $5.75 (if somehow) travel via Union? $8.46 currently.
I wonder if this model means that if you go through Union from Zone B for destination outside Toronto, you get charge for Zone A. That's the the TfL model which makes sense for long journeys, but annoys anyone trying to avoid Zone 1 on the Overground if they go through one particular station that's in Zone 1 despite being outside of it.

Toronto Region Board of Trade: Caledon amalgamated with Brampton.
Eh, not the worst decision. Most of the Brampton Transit routes into Caledon are just skimming the border (Mayfield West, Airport Distribution Centre, Mayfield Secondary School are all just above Mayfield Road). Even Bolton isn't that far from the Brampton border. I wonder if the Orangeville GO bus would be Caledon or another zone.

I wonder if this model means that if you go through Union from Zone B for destination outside Toronto, you get charge for Zone A. That's the the TfL model which makes sense for long journeys, but annoys anyone trying to avoid Zone 1 on the Overground if they go through one particular station that's in Zone 1 despite being outside of it.
They have pink tappers so the system knows you were not in Zone 1!

They have pink tappers so the system knows you were not in Zone 1!

They made Shoreditch High Street on the London Overground a Zone 1 station, so if you try to get from north London to south London without going through the central core (pre-pandemic, I regularly went from Canonbury to Canada Water), you can't go around on the east orbital route without incurring the Zone 1 charge.

They made Shoreditch High Street on the London Overground a Zone 1 station, so if you try to get from north London to south London without going through the central core (pre-pandemic, I regularly went from Canonbury to Canada Water), you can't go around on the east orbital route without incurring the Zone 1 charge.
I always assumed that would only effect those tapping in and out of Shoreditch High Street.

I guess then the alternative is taking the overground to Stratford and then the Jubilee line to Canada Water, with some tap at Stratford to indicate route.

So...I understand that this is a TRBOT proposal, and that their chair is on Minister Mulroney’s Transportation committee. How likely is this to actually happen? I know that fare integration is mentioned in the “Safe Restart” agreement, so the government does have that on its mind - but who knows if they’ll actually focus on it.

Last edited:
I'm not sure zone-based really makes that much sense. If someone commutes 5 minutes across a zone boundary they should be paying double what someone who commutes from Scarborough to Etobicoke. I think the purpose of fare integration should be to eliminate such perverse double fares. This just locks them in.

I'm not sure zone-based really makes that much sense. If someone commutes 5 minutes across a zone boundary they should be paying double what someone who commutes from Scarborough to Etobicoke. I think the purpose of fare integration should be to eliminate such perverse double fares. This just locks them in.
This is specifically addressed in the zone implementation suggested in the image above. If you notice, the base fares apply to 2 zones, not just one, so if you live in Zone E and travel to Zone B, you pay the same $3.75 fare. The only time fares begin to pile on is when you travel to a 3rd zone, then you have to pay an additional $2.50 per zone. So, going back to my example, if I start in Zone E (let's say Leslie/Hwy7), and I travel to RHC/Finch (wherever the terminus of Line 1 will be when fare integration starts), I can travel on the same fare all the way to Eglinton. Once I pass Eglinton, then my fare starts accumulating.

Last edited:
This is specifically addressed in the zone implementation suggested in the image above. If you notice, the base fares apply to 2 zones, not just one, so if you live in Zone E and travel to Zone B, you pay the same $3.75 fare. The only time fares begin to pile on is when you travel to a 3rd zone, then you have to pay an additional $2.50 per zone. So, going back to my example, if I start in Zone E (let's say Leslie/Hwy7), and I travel to RHC/Finch (wherever the terminus of Line 1 will be when fare integration starts), I can travel on the same fare all the way to Eglinton. Once I pass Eglinton, then my fare starts accumulating.
Ok, I think I just misread it.

I'm curious to know if the current transit agencies will be kept, or if they will be amalgamated? I assume the former. And how would transfers between cities work? Like lets say if I want to transfer from TTC to MiWay for example to get to the city centre.

I tap on the TTC bus (in Zone B) to get on the bus
I tap off the TTC bus at the terminal to get off the bus (in Zone B)
I tap on the MiWay bus towards Missisauga at the same terminal.
and I tap off the MiWay bus at the city centre. (in Zone C)

Now the system recognizes that I've started in Zone B and ended in Zone C. And would charge the appropriate fare. But how does it recognize between a transfer and a trip end? Is there a time limit? and how would this affect me if I wanted to transfer to a bus that only comes every hour? and if I got back on the system before that time limit? Would I pay a cheaper or more expensive fare?

I'm curious to know if the current transit agencies will be kept, or if they will be amalgamated? I assume the former. And how would transfers between cities work? Like lets say if I want to transfer from TTC to MiWay for example to get to the city centre.

Now the system recognizes that I've started in Zone B and ended in Zone C. And would charge the appropriate fare. But how does it recognize between a transfer and a trip end? Is there a time limit? and how would this affect me if I wanted to transfer to a bus that only comes every hour? and if I got back on the system before that time limit? Would I pay a cheaper or more expensive fare?
ye pretty sure its a time limit.

This is my thought process:
Tap on TTC bus = trip began in zone A/B.
If there isn't another tap on another transit vehicles outside of zone A/B. You'll be charge the base fare for zone A to B.

The system will have to know the TTC route you tapped on only travels in certain zone(s). For example, 37 Islington only travels in zone B. Tap on 37 Islington, and then a MiWay bus = zone B to C.

With this set up that'd be no need for tap off (except routes that cross multiple zones), because next tap on acts as a tap off for the first trip.

Last edited:
This is my thought process:
Tap on TTC bus = trip began in zone A/B.
If there isn't another tap on another transit vehicles outside of zone A/B. You'll be charge the base fare for zone A to B.

The system will have to know the TTC route you tapped on only travels in certain zone(s). For example, 37 Islington only travels in zone B. Tap on 37 Islington, and then a MiWay bus = zone B to C.

With this set up that'd be no need for tap off (except routes that cross multiple zones), because next tap on acts as a tap off for the first trip.
I wonder if the presto system is capable of actually doing this on a large scale?

Back