News   Apr 24, 2024
 384     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 427     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 775     1 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

I check the time left on my transfer more than my actual balance, which the TTC readers don't show yet either.
That's an excellent point. Whenever possible, I take a transfer just as my 'proof of payment' just have to have a record of the time left. Too many other things on my mind to keep track of the exact time of payment. The time left is an important determinant of planning ones schedule.

The Presto readers at Sherbourne are being replaced. Any idea why?
I think they are going through and replacing all of the first generation gates they've done it at Main street as well. Don't forget since a lot of them have been installed they have put in better motors int them and it's probably easier to replace them the refurbish them in the station.

So you could see them. Most of us are taller than the three feet high the machines are on the Flexities. And a reader is best not right at the doors, as well as being at....duh...eye height for at least the average person.

How tall are you? I'm a little taller than average, such that a Presto card in my back-pocket taps onto the Presto reader when I'm standing to get off a Flexity...whether I want it to tap or not.

I guess the readout when and if it's to be on those machines is perfect for a midget. Most of us are a tad taller though...
I'm the same height too, but I honestly don't see why they would put a screen somewhere that would show you balance. Ther most likely just going to update the software on the current riders to show a balance for those few people that need to see it every time they tap. As I've said before I really don't think as many pole look at the balance on the screen when thy tap as people on this board seem to think they do.

I think they are going through and replacing all of the first generation gates they've done it at Main street as well. Don't forget since a lot of them have been installed they have put in better motors int them and it's probably easier to replace them the refurbish them in the station.
That's replacing the gates though - the post said the Presto readers (though the assemble them with the readers already - I'm not sure if they are replacing those as well, or just shuffling them around to speed up the installs).

That's replacing the gates though - the post said the Presto readers (though the assemble them with the readers already - I'm not sure if they are replacing those as well, or just shuffling them around to speed up the installs).
I work in the area they are replacing the whole gate in sections at a time. Half the gates one day and the rest a few days later.

I should've been more specific.. I was referring to the gate itself.

Friends who use YRT:

I am trying to figure out if I am supposed to tap each time I board a YRT/VIVA bus. The YRT FAQ somehow gives an ambiguous answer. I think the answer is yes?

"7. How do I make a transfer with PRESTO?
PRESTO's smart card technology recognizes your continuous travel each time you tap your card and allows you a two-hour transfer period from the time of issue.
Similar to a paper transfer, the transfer on your PRESTO card has an expiry time. When your transfer expires, you will need to tap your card as necessary.
If you are connecting to or from a GO Train, the GO co-fare is automatically calculated on the card."

Friends who use YRT:

I am trying to figure out if I am supposed to tap each time I board a YRT/VIVA bus. The YRT FAQ somehow gives an ambiguous answer. I think the answer is yes?

"7. How do I make a transfer with PRESTO?
PRESTO's smart card technology recognizes your continuous travel each time you tap your card and allows you a two-hour transfer period from the time of issue.
Similar to a paper transfer, the transfer on your PRESTO card has an expiry time. When your transfer expires, you will need to tap your card as necessary.
If you are connecting to or from a GO Train, the GO co-fare is automatically calculated on the card."

From personal experience, I would tap every time I transferred just to be sure the transfer on the card is still valid. The system won't charge you any extra fare or that sorts as long as you are within the 2 hour window. The only thing that's important is that you have a valid fare when you get on the VIVA as they seemed to have increased fare inspections this year.

From personal experience, I would tap every time I transferred just to be sure the transfer on the card is still valid. The system won't charge you any extra fare or that sorts as long as you are within the 2 hour window. The only thing that's important is that you have a valid fare when you get on the VIVA as they seemed to have increased fare inspections this year.
You should tap every time you board a YRT bus. If you’re transferring from one VIVA bus to another VIVA bus, it would be best to tap but it’s not necessary. If you’re transferring from a YRT bus to a VIVA bus, I’m not sure in this case but tapping should be best.

Thanks, guys. I don't mind tapping each time but wanted to make sure I wouldn't be charged each time.

Interesting tidbits:

Presto now handles 81% of TTC fare payments.

Killing the Weekly Max feature:
The weekly loyalty feature was delivered by PRESTO but was put on hold due to the additional financial impact to the TTC. The financial impact would result from all customers being eligible for this discount instead of those who previously had to purchase this type of pass in advance.

Killing the Daily Max feature:
A daily maximum feature was created specifically for the TTC and planned for launch in 2019. Following the introduction of the 2-hour transfer and based on further analysis, TTC staff determined that customers would have to travel beyond eight hours to realize any daily maximum benefits. Recent data showed <1% of revenue taps would qualify. As such, staff recommended this feature not be implemented at this time

Still not reliable enough:
While system performance has consistently improved since the initial installation of equipment, the current equipment does not satisfy the expected performance targets that were outlined in the Agreement. Most notably the availability target for the PRESTO card readers of 99.99% has not been achieved. Fare vending equipment is also performing below expectations, most recently including the PRESTO Ticket vending machines being deployed in subway stations.TTC and Metrolinx have identified key system defects that are impacting system performance and continue to work to implement changes to address these issues.

Lots of work left, mostly targeting Q3 2019:
The following critical dependencies must be resolved before legacy fare media is no longer sold:
  • PRESTO Tickets must be available at all stations as they are an alternative to using TTC tickets, tokens, day pass, and cash
  • Cross boundary solution must be in place to allow customers to travel between TTC, Mississauga, and York Region in order to discontinue the GTA Pass; while not equivalent in terms of savings, it provides greater customer convenience
  • The Downtown Express solution must be implemented before collectors stop selling the monthly sticker to allow for unlimited travel on Downtown Express routes
  • The Wheel-Trans mobile fare payment app is of importance, providing an alternative to tickets and tokens for customers who do not have a PRESTO card

Credit card payments always in the future:
Long-term (beyond 2021): Open Payment: Ability to purchase fares using contactless debit or credit cards, or using a mobile wallet

Credit card payments always in the future:
Long-term (beyond 2021): Open Payment: Ability to purchase fares using contactless debit or credit cards, or using a mobile wallet

They seem to be throwing Metrolinx under the bus on this one - even referring to the beyond 2021 as "notionally" and saying that there is no "active development work underway for this payment option" and that nothing has happened since 2016! Here's a quote from page 11:
Some initial pilot and development work for open payments was completed in 2013, and design discussion continued into 2016. No further development work has been
completed since that time. The schedule and delivery timelines for the full open payments solutions have consistently slipped. The current PRESTO roadmap has open payments notionally indicated to have some availability beyond 2021.

On another issue - I'm not quite sure I'm fully grasping the lack of the LUM transfers on buses. They start by identifying "Limited Use Media (PRESTO Tickets) on surface vehicles" as one of the top 5 gaps in what Metrolinx agreed to and didn't deliver. But they don't seem to discuss Metrolinx doing anything about it ... and say they've hired Jacob Engineering Group to develop a business case.

A business case? Sounds like they should be hiring a lawyer to me!

Here's the quote (from page 16):
TTC and Metrolinx teams spent a considerable amount of time analyzing and assessing various solutions, yet no schedules have been provided to deliver this item. As such, TTC has taken initiative to develop a business case with the help of Jacobs Engineering Group, which will be presented later this year. The scope of this work includes:
  • Current fare collection system review and identification of issues
  • Peer benchmarking
  • Solution alternatives and evaluation
The solution resulting from the business case is to be implemented before the stop accepting date for legacy fares and the full implementation of the Stations Transformation Program.

Last edited:

Back