News   Mar 28, 2024
 636     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 452     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 775     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

I think the tone for child fare should be the reader saying the word "child" clear and loud. That may introduce some shame to someone who is obviously not a child, and could be an easy fix (although who knows with Presto) that may help a little bit.
The card reader could shout "Child! Enfant !" just like the lottery terminals that shout "Winner! Gagnon !" though the Presto card reader would use a child's voice.

Accenture, has developed other transit cards they should be very much aware of the fact that having a separate design for concession fares is helpful.
Given that Metrolinx has been ignoring those of us crying out for separate cards (I frequently have both kids and adults cards in my wallet - it would be nice if they labelled them!) for years - with Metrolinx clearly not giving a crap ... then who is to say that they haven't been ignoring others as well.

Given that Metrolinx has been ignoring those of us crying out for separate cards (I frequently have both kids and adults cards in my wallet - it would be nice if they labelled them!) for years - with Metrolinx clearly not giving a crap ... then who is to say that they haven't been ignoring others as well.
First/second-gen green Presto cards for the adults, black cards for the kids. Not really a solution for all, but certainly one for early Presto adopters. :)
(There are also the UP express, scotiabank arena, and O-train cards for those who were able to get their hands on them.)

First/second-gen green Presto cards for the adults, black cards for the kids. Not really a solution for all, but certainly one for early Presto adopters. :)
I don't think this is true. My first and second generation kids cards are all green. In fact, to get a kids card, I'd take an adult card in, and they'd convert it.

On of my adult cards is now black.

Personally, I've used different coloured "non-erasable" markers on each card, so I know whose is whose. But who knows if one day, in a rush, I'll grab the wrong one!

The card reader could shout "Child! Enfant !" just like the lottery terminals that shout "Winner! Gagnon !" though the Presto card reader would use a child's voice.

I can see this being billed as a safety concern for young children travelling alone to school and the like.

If nothing else they should have a separate card for children with applicable ID cards. Failing that they should scrap free children's fares using fade evasion as an excuse to do so.

I too can confirm the fact that teenage children get on the bus claiming they are under 12. I've seen it happen but the drivers are under orders not to interfere. They are told to ignore and move on.

If nothing else they should have a separate card for children with applicable ID cards. Failing that they should scrap free children's fares using fade evasion as an excuse to do so.
Seems onerous to require children to have ID cards - you'd have to create an entire process to distribute them, as there aren't photo IDs for children, other than passports. This will only discourage a family taking transit.

Also, how is this related to free children? Do you think that 13-year olds pretending to be 12 suddenly changes when it only saves $1.40 instead of $2? It's not a new issue - it's just that the nosy parkers now notice that the 13-year old (or is it really a tall 11-year old?) don't drop even 60 cents in the box?

There are some interesting individuals riding the TTC. Publicly identifying a child travelling alone could put them in danger especially if someone is waiting for them to take a specific bus.
I think you are being more paranoid than necessary. Frankly, a child travelling alone is going to be pretty obvious whether their PRESTO card screams out "Child" or not.

Last edited:
Plus, the alternative to shielding kids from public transit may be even worse. Child abductions are extremely rare and don't warrant the helicopter parent response we've seen since the 1980s abduction hysteria. Being overly protective of kids does real and serious damage to their psychological resilience. Anyway, the point being that kids are probably quite safe taking the TTC in daytime.

Last edited:
Plus, the alternative to shielding kids from public transit may be even worse. Child abductions are extremely rare and don't warrant the helicopter parent response we've seen since the 1980s abduction hysteria. Plus being overly protective of kids does real and serious damage to their psychological resilience. Anyway, the point being that kids are probably quite safe taking the TTC in daytime.

But but... the Dingo....

K here's one gripe with the Presto card. So shuffling along between people tapping, you tap your card but weren't sure if it tapped or not. Loud busy vehicle, crowded, did I hear my one beep or not, or wasn't watching the screen closely. So tap again to be sure, says "declined". Shouldn't it say "fare paid", or flash green. Why red and declined if it's been paid and has been accepted. Can understand pass-backs, so just have a yellow screen or something that says 'fare already paid'.

Also they gotta fix the colour of cards for child Presto. It's hitting the fan and more are catching on. What better way to evade fares than to use an identical looking card everyone else is using, tap like everyone else, and legitimately "pay" your fare with the bells and whistles telling everyone that it's been paid. Gotta have a different colour card.

Back