510     0 
News   Dec 06, 2021
 3.7K     4 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

nfitz

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
You have to go to a customer service agent at GO station or Shoppers Drug Mart to program cards as seniors or students. Obviously this is due to human checks requiring ID.
I'd go the GO station - at Union if it's convenient. I've gotten a couple of kids cards there, and a senior's, and they've never wanted ID. They do want to know the birthday though (I gave them my mother's ... but I keep the Senior's around for guests - not that there have been any of those of that age recently ... though ID wouldn't hurt.

I'd also give it a day or two, and make sure it's working. At the GO station you can tap on, and then reverse it, to test it.

Richard White

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'd go the GO station - at Union if it's convenient. I've gotten a couple of kids cards there, and a senior's, and they've never wanted ID. They do want to know the birthday though (I gave them my mother's ... but I keep the Senior's around for guests - not that there have been any of those of that age recently ... though ID wouldn't hurt.

I'd also give it a day or two, and make sure it's working. At the GO station you can tap on, and then reverse it, to test it.

She lives in Pickering and has health issues that make driving impossible at times.

Getting to Union is impossible.

Richard White

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I finally got my grandmothers Presto Card but now it is asking me to complete the registration by tapping it on a Presto Device.

What would be considered a Presto Device that doesn't involve the card being charged?

I used to use the yellow balance checkers but they aren't really an option anymore.

smallspy

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I finally got my grandmothers Presto Card but now it is asking me to complete the registration by tapping it on a Presto Device.

What would be considered a Presto Device that doesn't involve the card being charged?

I used to use the yellow balance checkers but they aren't really an option anymore.
You can query the card on a refill machine without actually doing any other functions. That may be your best bet.

Dan

11th

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Press Mode button three times, then tap and hold card on the reader.

(And I just noticed they have finally updated their decade old website)

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I've started doing that a couple of times a month to keep my spare presto card registered
I have never heard (or seen evidence) of Presto cards becoming un-registered. I have a couple of spare cards for visitors (sadly, unused for 18 months). I just checked and though unused for 18+ months both remain registered.

Richard White

Member Bio
Reaction score
I have never heard (or seen evidence) of Presto cards becoming un-registered. I have a couple of spare cards for visitors (sadly, unused for 18 months). I just checked and though unused for 18+ months both remain registered.

I think it's an Oyster Card mentality. Oyster Cards from London deactivate after an extended period of inactivity.

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Last edited: