News   Mar 28, 2024
 219     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 613     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 372     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

I for one would welcome detailed articles on all of GTHA's transit on wikipedia.

Me too. I consider myself pretty in the loop when it comes to the various transit projects, but even I have trouble keeping all of the timelines and budgets straight, especially during the Ford years. It seems the plans were changing every couple of months. I can only imagine how confused the general public is.

Adding to the confusion, I've noticed that none of the maps that are produced detailing these projects show a cohesive vision for what is actually being planned. The TTC maps all neglect to even show GO RER connections (of if they are shown, they're shown very passively), which are going to be absolutely huge in how they interact with these lines.

Since these are all Metrolinx projects, there should really be a standardized map that they use, with the project in question being highlighted. That way it's a consistent message and a consistent representation of everything that's on the books.

I still think the short jog on Hwy 27 is going to add a lot of travel time, as signal timing will be biased in favour of the very busy Hwy 27.

I wish they had considered using the hydro corridor just west of Hwy 27 instead. Doing so could have sped things up as well as making it possible to have a stop right in front of Etobicoke General Hospital.

Me too. I consider myself pretty in the loop when it comes to the various transit projects, but even I have trouble keeping all of the timelines and budgets straight, especially during the Ford years. It seems the plans were changing every couple of months. I can only imagine how confused the general public is.

Adding to the confusion, I've noticed that none of the maps that are produced detailing these projects show a cohesive vision for what is actually being planned. The TTC maps all neglect to even show GO RER connections (of if they are shown, they're shown very passively), which are going to be absolutely huge in how they interact with these lines.

Since these are all Metrolinx projects, there should really be a standardized map that they use, with the project in question being highlighted. That way it's a consistent message and a consistent representation of everything that's on the books.

It's almost impossible for a person who's only casually following to understand.

The Fords took advantage of that all the time. They took credit for Eglinton being underground from Laird to Mt Dennis, which it always was. They claimed that the Scarborough LRT would take street space away from cars.

People still don't understand that Eglinton has a large underground section, even with the construction of the tunnel happening.

Agreed, 100%. Another thing that bugged me were the lack of quality renders of how these projects would look. For both the FWLRT and SELRT we seemingly only had one depiction of an in-median LRT - which IIRC was a low-quality image of a grey single unit vehicle stitched overtop a random street.

The S(L)RT was one of the most ignored...nobody knew what the thing was going to look like! Even on this thread transit aficionados would post photos of century-old rusty iron ELs in NYC and Chicago as what we were in store for. How hard could it be for the City or Metrolinx to make an attractive image of a sleek 21stC LRV on a brand spanking new concrete guideway - surrounded by trees and highrises? Vancouver does a great job of that. Here? Zip.

It's almost impossible for a person who's only casually following to understand.

The Fords took advantage of that all the time. They took credit for Eglinton being underground from Laird to Mt Dennis, which it always was. They claimed that the Scarborough LRT would take street space away from cars.

People still don't understand that Eglinton has a large underground section, even with the construction of the tunnel happening.

Obviously you can't teach everybody, but there are plenty of people who want to know, but just haven't been able to keep track of all the changes. This comes back to my consistent mapping point. A standardized map for all projects, with just the one in question being highlighted, will help people stay much more up to date on what is actually happening. The official maps on the Crosstown website don't even acknowledge that GO even exists, despite the RER plan and intermodal hubs planned for both Mt. Dennis and Kennedy.

Agreed, 100%. Another thing that bugged me were the lack of quality renders of how these projects would look. For both the FWLRT and SELRT we seemingly only had one depiction of an in-median LRT - which IIRC was a low-quality image of a grey single unit vehicle stitched overtop a random street.

The S(L)RT was one of the most ignored...nobody knew what the thing was going to look like! Even on this thread transit aficionados would post photos of century-old rusty iron ELs in NYC and Chicago as what we were in store for. How hard could it be for the City or Metrolinx to make an attractive image of a sleek 21stC LRV on a brand spanking new concrete guideway - surrounded by trees and highrises? Vancouver does a great job of that. Here? Zip.

I agree. The problem is there isn't a website & community relations team like Eglinton Crosstown has.

If you Google "Eglinton LRT", you get the site explaining what the transit line is, with renders, diagrams and videos showing how it will look. It even shows average speed compared to other transit etc. Not to mention people who go to events and two offices where you can go and talk to them any time.

I'd assume Finch will get a website, and community offices soon since construction starts next year.

It would've been cool to see renders & videos of the Scarborough LRT's new elevated parts.

Even just showing how long the vehicles/trains are in 2 car trains is good, it shows people: this is really a train, much higher capacity than even the new streetcars.

Not quite. It was on street through Black Creek Drive. It was 2012 (+/-) that that portion was changed to elevated - mostly due to public demand during detailed design.

Another example of how the publics dislike for elevated transit is greatly exagerated.

I agree. The problem is there isn't a website & community relations team like Eglinton Crosstown has.

If you Google "Eglinton LRT", you get the site explaining what the transit line is, with renders, diagrams and videos showing how it will look. It even shows average speed compared to other transit etc. Not to mention people who go to events and two offices where you can go and talk to them any time.

I'd assume Finch will get a website, and community offices soon since construction starts next year.

It would've been cool to see renders & videos of the Scarborough LRT's new elevated parts.

Even just showing how long the vehicles/trains are in 2 car trains is good, it shows people: this is really a train, much higher capacity than even the new streetcars.

Yeah there was no marketing about it. No website it, is like hardly anybody knew about it. It was even had to find any information bout it compared to Eglinton which was and is heavily being promoted.

Wouldn't it go down Hwy 27?

Should Finch W LRT go to the airport? If so, how? Directly, or connect to UPX or something where it turns of the GO tracks? If direct it seems like a lot of duplication in terms of having another elevated thing to the airport. If connecting to UPX then there would have to be a stop added there right?

Should there be a bus between Humber College and the airport to make this connection before the above happens and after Finch LRT is done?

Should Finch W LRT go to the airport? If so, how? Directly, or connect to UPX or something where it turns of the GO tracks? If direct it seems like a lot of duplication in terms of having another elevated thing to the airport. If connecting to UPX then there would have to be a stop added there right?

Should there be a bus between Humber College and the airport to make this connection before the above happens and after Finch LRT is done?

I think it should ultimately go to the airport. There has been talk of a Woodbine station for Go/UPX which the Finch Station could connect to on its way to the airport. I don't think it will be a duplicate service because the Finch LRT would provide a different service compared to UPX and would also be cheaper.

As for the bus between Humber College, Metrolinx recently identified Humber College as a regional hub to facilitate travel to the airport, so maybe there may be buses running from there to the airport soon.

http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pd...3/20150303_BoardMtg_Airport_Area_Study_EN.pdf

Back