News   Mar 28, 2024
 114     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 568     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 359     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

Show me the cameras at outdoor stops?
If they don't exist currently, that doesn't mean they can't be implemented. Non issue.

Furthermore, the presence of cameras does not always prevent crime. Do you get the feeling that crimes haven't occurred on TTC property despite there being cameras in stations and vehicles?

More witnesses actually leads to what's called the bystander effect where everyone expects someone else to act.
I'm calling shenanigans on this. The bystander effect is a hypothetical scenario that doesn't inherently factor in to every incident and misadventure that occurs.

Safety is 1 of a lot of factors why people don't like LRT's.
Do you have any hard data on which to base this assertion, or are you speaking for yourself and trying to pass your opinion as one that is held by the wider population? Because without any data to support this assertion, I don't believe this for one single solitary second. As I referred to in my post above, there is a litany of safety issues that exist in the subway, too. Do people not like buses, either, since all of the issues you mentioned exist there, too?

If they don't exist currently, that doesn't mean they can't be implemented. Non issue.

Furthermore, the presence of cameras does not always prevent crime. Do you get the feeling that crimes haven't occurred on TTC property despite there being cameras in stations and vehicles?

I'm calling shenanigans on this. The bystander effect is a hypothetical scenario that doesn't inherently factor in to every incident and misadventure that occurs.

Do you have any hard data on which to base this assertion, or are you speaking for yourself and trying to pass your opinion as one that is held by the wider population? Because without any data to support this assertion, I don't believe this for one single solitary second. As I referred to in my post above, there is a litany of safety issues that exist in the subway, too. Do people not like buses, either, since all of the issues you mentioned exist there, too?
I guess lets ignore human psychology if it's inconvenient?
Believe me or not. I do not care, at the end of the day it's the riding public who is affected.

There's a correct superlative for "most bad" (the worst).

Anyway, how do you propose we listen to riders? A Doug Ford-esque cell phone number that the TTC gives out?

The TTC should do better than their current complaints process by exposing case status milestones and letting people vote on issue priority, but that has nothing to do with UT forumers asking riders for their general thoughts on the system.
Well I feel most planners are living in a bubble based on the ones I know in person who are early in their career.

The TTC should first stop lying if they want to fix good will with riders. (Steve munro calls them out a lot for things like saying short turns are eliminated when that's not the case) Andy Byford was good about getting them to explain things that people misunderstand but that stopped a while ago.

I'd like to see more transparency, if you've followed the finch west construction there is a monthly liaison committee where the last months progress is recapped and the public is able to ask questions that are either answered there or at the next meeting. Since it's done over teams there's no accessibility issues.

How are you determining that people are staying away from the TTC because of personal safety concerns?
I'm not sure how one be riding TTC - at least on subways and streetcars (I don't ride enough buses to know) and not have seen the huge increase in crazy shit post-Covid.

I'm not sure it's all safety ... some have their own prejudices and don't want to be sat next to someone lying on the seats and laughing maniacally every couple of minutes.

Considering physical safety was one of the top priorities in the TTC survey and the number of incidents is up several times even 3 or 4 years ago the jury is out on that one.
I suspected that was what you were referencing.

I thought this entire conversation was about choice customers, and trying to capture people not using the TTC? While the survey does highlight concerns for current users, it’s not clear that’s why prospective users aren’t showing up.

Also, the surveys referenced also pointed to comfort as a source of dissatisfaction. Why hasn’t that been brought up here? Why do you think that safety concerns are the ones that are top of mind? You said you had data you can share to prove that - can you share it?

I'm not sure how one be riding TTC - at least on subways and streetcars (I don't ride enough buses to know) and not have seen the huge increase in crazy shit post-Covid.
I didn’t dispute that there were incidents (or even an increase in incidents), though I don’t know how many. I’m simply asking how Turbanplanner (and I guess you, now?) came to the conclusion that this was what was keeping people away from the TTC, and was the biggest problem they had to address.

I didn’t dispute that there were incidents (or even an increase in incidents), though I don’t know how many. I’m simply asking how Turbanplanner (and I guess you, now?) came to the conclusion that this was what was keeping people away from the TTC, and was the biggest problem they had to address.
My opinion is based on talking to people as well as survey results I've seen. Safety in general is in the news lately and a 10x increase in incidents (or more) is going to get people thinking and talking. I don't think it's the only issue they have. But a lot of things like proper funding, or vehicle priority are issues the city and province need to work together on.

They do have a lot more control over their own transit constables and how they are are deployed. I've talked to a few and they are nice folks but they're are stretched VERY THIN. Something like 8 people per shift on a system that has hundreds of thousands of riders a day.

My opinion is based on talking to people as well as survey results I've seen. Safety in general is in the news lately and a 10x increase in incidents (or more) is going to get people thinking and talking.
No one is disputing that security is a concern on transit. All you need to do to end this back and forth, and to back up your point, is to actually post the data to which you're referring (i.e. the surveys and the 10x increase in incidents that you mentioned).

No one is disputing that security is a concern on transit. All you need to do to end this back and forth, and to back up your point, is to actually post the data to which you're referring (i.e. the surveys and the 10x increase in incidents that you mentioned).
It's on the city open data portal.

Check subway delays then delay codes, I checked assault and sexual assault.

For those who think the LRT will be in service by the summer, you will be standing at stops and will not see a car until the end of the year, if then.

Took a drive along the corridor today and no way in hell will all that work that still has to be done will be done in 4 months. Took me 10+ minutes to go 2 blocks west of Jane.

If we get the winter that been call for, it will set the timetable back some what.

The one thing I have yet to see is how the rails are encase in concrete as it not the same as the Crosstown Line nor Hurontario, let alone TTC style.

Try to take some videos and have yet to see what they look like as the camera was sliding all over the place between the rough road and the weaving. If they are any good, will post them.

Nov 16
Looks like I will have to scrap 2 other videos and gave up shooting after loosing control of the camera while shooting this one.

Spent 10+ minutes to go 2 blocks west of Jane and the weaving was something

Fast

Nov 16
Looks like I will have to scrap 2 other videos and gave up shooting after loosing control of the camera while shooting this one.

Spent 10+ minutes to go 2 blocks west of Jane and the weaving was something

Fast
Thanks for filming it all! Was going to take the finch west bus to see but I'll wait for warmer days haha

Back