News   Mar 28, 2024
 967     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 543     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 838     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

What is going on there? The ROW runs down the centre of Finch, why is there a tunnel under the onramp?

1660746868099.png

Part of this project includes the 400 bridge rehabilitation and an improve multi use trail through the interchange. Hence they tweet about it time to time.

Here's the design through that section: https://www.metrolinx.com/en/projec...inch_West_201601_Open_House_Map_4_of_5_EN.pdf

This multi-use trail appears to be bi-directional as the sidewalk on the north side will be removed to accommodate the WB to SB onramp lane being shifted north due to the LRT ROW. What MX is not doing is widening the existing sidewalk on the southside to accommodate two-way pedestrian and cycling traffic. And remember, the Hwy 400 bridge deck was replaced two years ago at the same length rather than a longer span (which would have cost a lot more). Nonetheless, just another example of MTO's hostility towards active transportation users crossing major freeways.

I can't find past docs, but is this a case of the left hand not talking to the right? Or was there suggestion to widen the bridge? I'm just curious as I had similar issue in Durham with cycling lanes crossing the 401 at Liverpool.

I'm still curious if they are going to do the 2nd multiuse tunnel under the cp rail tracks, because that work hasn't started at all yet.
On a construction related note I found it interesting that they are pouring the permanent sidewalks and curbs on a section between duncanwoods and pearldale, which hasn't even begun to start guideway work yet.
On a transit related note I can't wait for them to finish this, I took the 36 bus from about islington yesterday and it took 44min to reach the station at keele.
multiuse tunnel cp rail.JPG

Back