News   Mar 28, 2024
 103     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 174     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 247     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

@superelevation

This is what Otrain is being built to do. Line 3 and line 1 will be branched in the suburbs and will converge in the center.
I'm not exactly sure how that negates my main point which is that running a low floor tram as a metro in Canada is new
If you want an actual example of a stadtbahn in NA, look at either the MUNI Metro in SF, or the Green Line in Boston, many branches, most of them operating on street and sometimes even in mixed traffic, all converging into a tunnel downtown. Most Stadtbahns take this further by having a massive branching system on both sides of the central tunnel, not just one.

1658305988813.png

What Ottawa has isn't even close - it's basically just a standard metro with a few branches at the end, comparable to say the Expo and Canada Lines in Vancouver.

Last edited:
I'm so glad how the Finch West line was designed, approved and built relatively under the radar. I wish more transit project could proceed unimpeded in the background like this.
Hopefully its ease and speed will speed up both east and west extension for that line, and also the Scarborough-Malvern line (Line 7). Maybe even the Jane line.

Hopefully its ease and speed will speed up both east and west extension for that line, and also the Scarborough-Malvern line (Line 7). Maybe even the Jane line.

Once Phase 1, Keele to Humber College, opens; residents will be asking to extend it both ways. They will want a one-seat ride to Pearson Airport, as well as a direct access to Yonge without transferring to bus at Keele.

Once Phase 1, Keele to Humber College, opens; residents will be asking to extend it both ways. They will want a one-seat ride to Pearson Airport, as well as a direct access to Yonge without transferring to bus at Keele.

How many stops would they need from Finch west to Yonge n Finch ?

I'm sure it's been discussed, but is Line 6 being tested with coupled pairs at all? I don't think it is in the service plan, at least initially, but still curious.
It may be in the sense that they may test if a disable vehicle can be pushed/towed, but not in the sense of regular service testing. Line 6 Platforms arent designed for 2 car Alstom vehicles (unless platforms are expanded).

From the link below [albeit dated, surface platforms will be 48m (pg 6), and Finch West will be 98m (pg 8)]:

I'm not familiar with the area, I'm assuming these are underground stations, therefore this project is in the billions ???
Yes. It might be in the Transit City docs and has been mentioned on this thread. As you get closer to Yonge the ROW is too narrow and would require the line to be underground.

Yes. It might be in the Transit City docs and has been mentioned on this thread. As you get closer to Yonge the ROW is too narrow and would require the line to be underground.

Only the final ~ 200 m, between Beecroft and Yonge, are too narrow for 6 lanes and need a tunel. Plus, the interchange with Yonge line should be underground anyway, due to the volume.

The rest, from the Finch/Keele portal all the way to Beecroft, can use the street median.

How many stops would they need from Finch west to Yonge n Finch ?
In the original Transit City EA on Metrolinx's website there would be 10 surface stops, between Finch and Finch West stations.

They might reduce them, but the original EA had 17 stops between Humber College and Finch West - and they are building 16 stops. The biggest change seems to be removal of the Highway 27/Finch stop.

1658379451515.png

Those stops are the same number as in Metrolinx's 2009 Benefit Case report, for the 69-stop, 38.5 km Sheppard-Finch line from Humber College to Meadowvale/Sheppard.

There were 11 stops between Finch station and Don Mills station (using Finch East and Don Mills Road).

1658380795745.png

And 28 stations from Don Mills station to (and including) Meadowvale and Sheppard.

1658380915856.png

Attachments

• 1658380774837.png
    1658380774837.png
    20.3 KB · Views: 62

Back