News   Mar 28, 2024
 120     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

We will see when the start operating on Finch.

There are issues with the Ottawa trains such as incorrect material installed that can't withstand Canadian winters. This was an European tram design same as the Flexity's problem. Hopefully Alstom has figure out all those teething issues and not transfer the mistake here. Other problems such as track condition and overhead issues might exist if the consortium made the same mistakes as Ottawa. We won't have to worry about ATO issues.

We might see all the problem appear on the Crosstown as that is partially a light metro operating in similar situations as Ottawa. That is for the Crosstown thread.

The way the CBC breathlessly reported "pushing the limits" to me showed that there was a lot of smoke and little fire around this issue at the Ottawa enquiry, and not much real understanding of the technology. It amounts to stringing two - TWO! - four-section vehicles into a train and running them down a fully segregated track. So ground-breaking, no wonder there were problems. If there were design or build problems, or incompatibilities with the track, that has little to do with the basic conception of the system.

Unfortunately that video seems to have been filmed a while ago, note the lack of leaves on tress.

Here’s a great Twitter thread which includes some more recent photos.

That finished looking track bed with just grooves where the rails should be is so weird. I've never seen track constructed that way before, although admittedly I haven't looked at all that much embedded track under construction either...

The way the CBC breathlessly reported "pushing the limits" to me showed that there was a lot of smoke and little fire around this issue at the Ottawa enquiry, and not much real understanding of the technology. It amounts to stringing two - TWO! - four-section vehicles into a train and running them down a fully segregated track. So ground-breaking, no wonder there were problems. If there were design or build problems, or incompatibilities with the track, that has little to do with the basic conception of the system.
Except running tram trains every 3-4 minutes under CBTC on such a tight alignment and with high top speeds is indeed quite unconventional

Except running tram trains every 3-4 minutes under CBTC on such a tight alignment and with high top speeds is indeed quite unconventional
Running a high floor 'tram' vehicle like a metro isn't new as this is what stadtbahns do. However running a low floor tram as a metro (in Canada) is new. I'd shift the blame on the O train's performance more on poor maintenance/weather but that is another story . .

Running a high floor 'tram' vehicle like a metro isn't new as this is what stadtbahns do. However running a low floor tram as a metro (in Canada) is new. I'd shift the blame on the O train's performance more on poor maintenance/weather but that is another story . .
Agreed, sticking with low floor was the biggest error. I would love to hear the inside story of the arguments that must have taken place.

Does anyone know the days and approximate times they test the Alstom LRT on the completed LRT tracks on Finch?

I would like to catch one of these track/equipment testing's live. Any weekend testing's?

Thanks

do we know what the service levels will be for finch west? we still dont know for eglinton too

As with all TTC routes, service provided will depend on ridership, with a minimum service threshold. If it's not that way at the start, someone will eventually cut the excess service.

Looking at current Finch West bus schedules, it'll probably be around 5 to 7 minute frequencies during AM/PM rush and a minimum of 10 minute frequencies all day.

Last edited:
5.5 minutes is the best they can do based on the fact only 17 LRVs are ordered for the line. 3 of them would probably be spares/under maintenance at all times leaving with 14 which 7 on each direction.

They say it takes like 38 minutes to transverse the entire line (which I think should be closer to 30). That sets the line frequency to 5-6 minutes. 5 min if trip time is 35 min or 6 min if trip time is 42 min.

"45. What will be the frequency of the train on and off-peak?
A total of 15 Light Rail Vehicles (LRV) will be operating during both morning and afternoon peak hours,
with 5 minutes in between trains (also known as "5- minute headway"). During off-peak hours, there
will be 7 to 10 minutes between trains, with 8 to 10 trains in operation."

" 46. What is the total travel time and average speed of the Line?
The average end-to-end travel time is approx. 33 to 34 minutes, with average travel speed of approx.
20 to 21 KM/H."

That's from Metrolinx FWIW

What I’m concerned is such a small fleet could have operating constraints of they need to fix a major flaw or a crash puts one or more out of service for a extended period of time.

You seem to miss a bunch of the details here! The Ottawa trains are bigger than almost all German Stadtbahn trains, and 100% low floor (a decent number in Germany aren't) and need to be able to operate at high speeds so the design is less conventional. Stadtbahns also are almost never structured the way O Train Line 1 is. They have numerous branches pushing trains into a shorter central bit, that gives you a lot more flexibility than a single path (i.e. Metro) style of service.
Agreed, sticking with low floor was the biggest error. I would love to hear the inside story of the arguments that must have taken place.
There was a study released about this linked here: https://app06.ottawa.ca/calendar/ot...009/11-18/04-Rail System Study Document 1.pdf

I always come back to this point on Page | EX-2

1657220574642.png

Back