News   Mar 28, 2024
 21     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 530     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 343     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

A new concourse level is being dug out below the existing 2017-opened Finch West Station, the line's eastern terminus, which looks pretty surreal with the concrete floor visible above the forming pit.
1639494422-20211214-finch-west-lrt-3.jpg
Nitpick: The new Finch West LRT platform and concourse is being built above, not below, the existing Finch West subway station.

The concrete slab at the top of the image is the roadway above.

Dan

38 minutes - just google it
I've googled several times, and never found an end-to-end time.

I've found 38 minutes before, but only from Keelsdale to Victoria Park. It's almost a kilometre further to Mount Dennis.

Where did you find 38 minutes for an end-to-end time? Glad to see they've speeded it up a bit.

T

I've found 38 minutes before, but only from Keelsdale to Victoria Park. It's almost a kilometre further to Mount Dennis.

Where did you find 38 minutes for an end-to-end time? Glad to see they've speeded it up a bit.
This is regarding Finch West, not Line 5

Estimated travel for entire length of line is 38 minutes. Trains will run every 5-7 minutes during peak hours and every 7-10 minutes during off-peak hours.

This is regarding Finch West, not Line 5
Ah! Funny it's the same number (to Keele at least).

I've never checked that one ... I doubt I'll use it often enough to worry about it.

Estimated travel for entire length of line is 38 minutes. Trains will run every 5-7 minutes during peak hours and every 7-10 minutes during off-peak hours.

Odd, further down the PDF, it says: The average end-to-end travel time is approx. 33 to 34 minutes,

The link is correct and says 38 min, but I believe that's mis-estimated. The average speed would be (11 * 60) / 38 = 17 kph. That's slower than a bus, and doesn't seem realistic for a line with relatively wide stop spacing, > 600 m on average.

Maybe they originally estimated the whole Finch line, Humber to Yonge (17 km), and then updated the length but not the travel time. (17 * 60) / 38 = 27 kph, that looks a bit high but closer to reasonable.

Maybe they originally estimated the whole Finch line, Humber to Yonge (17 km), and then updated the length but not the travel time. (17 * 60) / 38 = 27 kph, that looks a bit high but closer to reasonable.
I'd guess they include dwell time at the terminus before the next trip starts. Simply dividing by the round trip of 76 minutes that they may be using for scheduling.

I'd guess they include dwell time at the terminus before the next trip starts. Simply dividing by the round trip of 76 minutes that they may be using for scheduling.
Google was a little off. I looked inside the doc >>>
6. What is the total travel time and average speed of the Line? The average end-to-end travel time is approx. 33 to 34 minutes, with average travel speed of approx. 20 to 21 KM/H.

The link is correct and says 38 min, but I believe that's mis-estimated. The average speed would be (11 * 60) / 38 = 17 kph. That's slower than a bus, and doesn't seem realistic for a line with relatively wide stop spacing, > 600 m on average.

Well it should also be considered that unlike a bus, this will be stopping at all of its stations, will likely have slower acceleration than a bus, and the 700m stop spacing isn't consistent. That number is inflated by certain stretches of the line being barren of any stops (such as between Kipling and Islington).

Also, don't forget, this will be operated by the TTC. Expect it to travel at 30km/h between stations for no reason.

Well it should also be considered that unlike a bus, this will be stopping at all of its stations, will likely have slower acceleration than a bus
During peak travel times on the 36, you’re stopping at every stop anyway. And there are currently more stops along the way than there will be when this line opens.

What makes you think the LRVs would accelerate more slowly? I didn’t notice that with the LFLRVs.

Back