News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 565     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 856     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

Had my first look at Finch west of the 400 today and will be a blue moon before I do it again. Took me 20 minutes to go 2 lights after getting off the northbound ramp. Sat for 6 lights to cross the southbound off ramp after 3 lanes became 2. Problem was that every time space open on the other side of the light it was fill with off 400 traffic as the 2 lanes became one before Arrow and drivers making the left hand turn onto Arrow. Once pass that intersection, it was wide open into war torn land that zig and zag all the way to highway 27.

Nothing worth while shooting other than the portal at 27. Could see the trench on the west side of 27 for building the tunnel section to Humber College as I drove by the construction gates to the site. No place to shoot this section other than with a drome. Saw Mississauga, Brampton YRT buses as well TTC on 27. Humber will be a nice hub for the 905 systems.

Other than road tore up with various work taking place, I would hate to use this road daily as its worse than Eglinton was. Maybe will have a look in 2023.

Will take a look going east of the 400 some day when I have time. The weather change my plan for going to the east end of the city as well running 2,5 hours behind schedule that allow me to see the west section.

Oct 21
Since I was sitting in traffic, took these shots
51627189062_73bc8efa5f_b.jpg

51627188982_e005b8f5bd_b.jpg

51628869930_3f50ae2f14_b.jpg

Track installation is progressing eastwards from Jane to Sentinel. They were pouring concrete for the foundation near Romfield Ln where the portal is just east or there. Almost all the centre poles have been installed in the area, only a few left to do near Romfield. They still need the hangers before they could install the OCS cables. No work has been done on the intersections however.

I don't know how people survive traffic between Weston and Jane. Buses are tracking 15-20 minutes to get through that area in the afternoon rush leaving huge gaps.

Last edited:
I thought they had the area already constructed when they built Finch West Station.

And second question, where's the placement of the station? I thought they would build it to allow an eastern extension.
During the TYSSE project, they only build the TYSSE station box (North-south direction) with connector to the future LRT. The pocket track tunnel south of the TYSSE station is also mined between the two tunnels. Then they just filled the dirt over the intersection.

This LRT station box sits on top of the TYSSE box which runs east-west direction is being build as part of this project. It's much shallower than the TYSSE station. An eastern extension is possible, they'll just have to dig the portal east of the station resulting in another multi year lane closure if that every happens.

If only we actually planned ahead when designing/building known future transfer stations. Like I get issues with adding new platforms to stations like Eglinton or Queen or Bloor, which were built a long time ago, but it's a shame we didn't plan more for a better transfer station at Finch West.

If only we actually planned ahead when designing/building known future transfer stations. Like I get issues with adding new platforms to stations like Eglinton or Queen or Bloor, which were built a long time ago, but it's a shame we didn't plan more for a better transfer station at Finch West.
Future proofing? TTC/Metrolinx? They haven't done that for over 100 years with the Prince Edward Viaduct.

Back