News   Apr 19, 2024
 213     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 883     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 8.3K     2 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

I thought the current thought was that Phase 2 would take it deeper into Etobicoke.

The original plan was to go to Don Mills/Sheppard ... not deeper into Scarborough.
That plan was frankly stupid. Also since Sheppard East is no longer an LRT, there's even less reason to bring that there.

Finch east of Yonge is quite narrow to maintain 4 traffic lanes plus 2 LRT lanes. It'll be interesting to see how that elite neighbourhood would respond to a surface alignment.

Finch east of Yonge is quite narrow to maintain 4 traffic lanes plus 2 LRT lanes. It'll be interesting to see how that elite neighbourhood would respond to a surface alignment.

That's true. Yonge to Don Mills, expanding to 6 lanes would require taking away many front yards. And just east of Yonge, there is no space for 6 lanes at all. In addition, the Leslie hill between Bayview and Leslie isn't optimal for a surface LRT.

Therefore, I wouldn't stick to street-median all the way as the only acceptable option. From Yonge to Don Mills, either tunneling or using the Hydro corridor should be considered, and the tracks can return to street-median east of Don Mills or east of the 404.

Anyway, east of Yonge would be Phase 4. Phases 2 and 3 are Keele to Yonge and Humber College to Pearson, in either order.

That's true. Yonge to Don Mills, expanding to 6 lanes would require taking away many front yards. And just east of Yonge, there is no space for 6 lanes at all. In addition, the Leslie hill between Bayview and Leslie isn't optimal for a surface LRT.

Therefore, I wouldn't stick to street-median all the way as the only acceptable option. From Yonge to Don Mills, either tunneling or using the Hydro corridor should be considered, and the tracks can return to street-median east of Don Mills or east of the 404.

Anyway, east of Yonge would be Phase 4. Phases 2 and 3 are Keele to Yonge and Humber College to Pearson, in either order.
If we're talking about tunneling, it's probably cheaper to expropriate one or both sides of the street to expand the ROW. It's mostly SFH. Would cost gross ~$100M per km maybe given current prices and would result in owning developable land to offset this expense.

The transit city proposal had the Finch LRT underground for a bit approaching Yonge station due to space constraints. I imagine if east of Yonge was ever done, that it would be underground for a few more KM

The transit city proposal had the Finch LRT underground for a bit approaching Yonge station due to space constraints. I imagine if east of Yonge was ever done, that it would be underground for a few more KM

The Finch and Yonge intersection, for sure. Either underground or in the hydro corridor just north of the subway station. An on-street terminal would not fit.

The question is for how many KM east of Yonge would the tunnel go. Technically, 300-500 m is enough to clear the tightest spot, after that you would need to expropriate quite a bit of front yard strips in order to make room for 6 lanes, but no house demolitions.

The Finch and Yonge intersection, for sure. Either underground or in the hydro corridor just north of the subway station. An on-street terminal would not fit.

The question is for how many KM east of Yonge would the tunnel go. Technically, 300-500 m is enough to clear the tightest spot, after that you would need to expropriate quite a bit of front yard strips in order to make room for 6 lanes, but no house demolitions.
Finch slopes down at Bayview. Portal can make use of that. The question is how good can LRVs handle the slopes between Willowdale and Don Mills during winter. Will they be better than buses?

If there's tunneling involved, the cost will probably balloon to billion figures. The question then becomes, is it worth building a line that will essentially be (another) shuttle service between Don Mills and Yonge?

Finch slopes down at Bayview. Portal can make use of that. The question is how good can LRVs handle the slopes between Willowdale and Don Mills during winter. Will they be better than buses?

If there's tunneling involved, the cost will probably balloon to billion figures. The question then becomes, is it worth building a line that will essentially be (another) shuttle service between Don Mills and Yonge?
I mean the 39 finch east is the cities 5th busiest bus route so maybe. I think if they end up extending line 4 eastward eventually it may render finch east kind of redundant but I feel one of them will have to be built eventually.

Sheppard subway should be extended to Downsview Park.
Finch LRT should most definitely extend to Finch station.

Connecting the top of the U multiple locations would ease the congestion further down.

Someone can correct me I but believe the incline should be manageable. The incline on Bathurst south of St Clair is very steep and I assume they keep streetcars rolling up and down Bathurst in winter.

I mean the 39 finch east is the cities 5th busiest bus route so maybe. I think if they end up extending line 4 eastward eventually it may render finch east kind of redundant but I feel one of them will have to be built eventually.
I don't believe there would be much overlap in avenue ridership. As someone who used to do the Finch route up to Don Mills, there wasn't a use for Line 4 for me as I needed to stay on Finch as I imagine that would be the case for most. Even when I was going downtown in rush hour, Google and Transit app showed Finch as faster than taking Line 4. If you are going to Yonge subway and you live near Finch, I don't believe you'd necessarily come out ahead by going down to Sheppard.

I don't believe there would be much overlap in avenue ridership. As someone who used to do the Finch route up to Don Mills, there wasn't a use for Line 4 for me as I needed to stay on Finch as I imagine that would be the case for most. Even when I was going downtown in rush hour, Google and Transit app showed Finch as faster than taking Line 4. If you are going to Yonge subway and you live near Finch, I don't believe you'd necessarily come out ahead by going down to Sheppard.
Yea ig I was thinking of people commuting from further east who would likely opt to take line 4. Mind you I'm also saying an extended line 4 would render a line 6 extension out the same way redundant, not line 4 in its current state. If line 4 went all the way to McCowan and Sheppard, and you lived at McCowan and Finch and were trying to get to Yonge and Finch, you'd probably opt to take line 4 rather than the 39.

Yea ig I was thinking of people commuting from further east who would likely opt to take line 4. Mind you I'm also saying an extended line 4 would render a line 6 extension out the same way redundant, not line 4 in its current state. If line 4 went all the way to McCowan and Sheppard, and you lived at McCowan and Finch and were trying to get to Yonge and Finch, you'd probably opt to take line 4 rather than the 39.
And if their destination is downtown, there'd be less incentive to take surface all the way to Finch, once it ceases to be line 1's terminus.

Back