News   Mar 28, 2024
 105     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

I thought this was an LRT, not a streetcar.

I mean, streetcar tracks and LRT tracks are the exact same thing, lol. What differentiates LRT from streetcar is not the tracks or trains, but the priority and speed/stop spacing.

Anyways, reeeally happy to see how quickly Finch is progressing (well, it seems pretty fast). I wonder if there's any plans to redevelop those 3 corners at Jane and Finch? Last I lived in that area, the strip plaza on the southwest side was *dead*, JnF mall seemed to be on the decline (maybe it's been revived), and only Yorkgate mall seemed to be alive and bustling. I think the area would benefit from more mixed income housing (Regent Park style?), but the only redevelopment I remember seeing in this area is for the grassways which is falling apart, but that's like a whole 10 minutes walk south of this intersection. After all, this is the intersection of two of the busiest surface routes in NY, and potentially an LRT+BRT-lite crossroads in a few years after they implement bus lanes on Jane.

I mean, streetcar tracks and LRT tracks are the exact same thing, lol. What differentiates LRT from streetcar is not the tracks or trains, but the priority and speed/stop spacing.

Anyways, reeeally happy to see how quickly Finch is progressing (well, it seems pretty fast). I wonder if there's any plans to redevelop those 3 corners at Jane and Finch? Last I lived in that area, the strip plaza on the southwest side was *dead*, JnF mall seemed to be on the decline (maybe it's been revived), and only Yorkgate mall seemed to be alive and bustling. I think the area would benefit from more mixed income housing (Regent Park style?), but the only redevelopment I remember seeing in this area is for the grassways which is falling apart, but that's like a whole 10 minutes walk south of this intersection. After all, this is the intersection of two of the busiest surface routes in NY, and potentially an LRT+BRT-lite crossroads in a few years after they implement bus lanes on Jane.
No offence but given the well known name and number of crime associated with the broader area, I doubt any developer would want to step in the area and take the risk. Especially given the time and situation. It would be hard to convince anyone who doesn't live in the area to move to the area. The LRT would indeed make it a reliable 5 min ride to the subway but wouldn't get people to live there.

No offence but given the well known name and number of crime associated with the broader area, I doubt any developer would want to step in the area and take the risk. Especially given the time and situation. It would be hard to convince anyone who doesn't live in the area to move to the area. The LRT would indeed make it a reliable 5 min ride to the subway but wouldn't get people to live there.

I understand that, but this area will not get any better without departing from being a solely low income area; it needs more economic diversity. If grassways could get redeveloped just south of here, I think there is potential for this intersection. I mean, Lawrence-Weston isn't known to be a really nice part of the city but somehow condos are still being built there. Moss Park is changing too. So are some areas of Scarborough, although I couldn't name any since I'm not too familiar with there. Certainly, I think JnF is unique as I'd imagine several people would likely name it first when they think of "dangerous neighbourhoods in Toronto", but it can't be like that forever :confused:

All the condo builders in St James Town didn't get the memo apparently.

No offence but given the well known name and number of crime associated with the broader area, I doubt any developer would want to step in the area and take the risk.
I disagree ... if anything that would let them maximize profits. I don't think the racism here plays the same extent as you'd see in places like Chicago ... where you can buy empty lots near subway stations not far from downtown for less than $10K.

Makes me wonder what can be done to assemble and densify those SFH's with their back to Finch.

It's a start but still seems quite modest.
It's honestly a tidal change from the city. One of the only examples I can think of where the city actually proposes to change neighbourhoods designated lands to mixed use. The only other example I can think of is along Eglinton where they converted 1 lot behind the mixed use areas along Eglinton to mixed use to allow for deeper development parcels.

Back