News   Apr 16, 2024
 81     2 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 328     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 687     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

Perhaps they could build it on the hydro corridor with very few stops since no one it would be out of most rider's way.
Sometimes, it's not about speed, but capacity. But I guess those in NW Toronto should just keep piling onto buses, right?
But some people only supported this because of the community. It was a feature of the entire project, not just another throwaway. This drives down public support and confidence for the LRT.
The LRT should be considerably faster during the rush hours, because the buses get stuck in traffic.

That said, Metrolinx certainly ought to give the land for the Community Centre after they promised that. Otherwise they will diminish the public confidence and the support for their future projects, while the amount of money they might recover by selling the land will be trivial compared to the cost of the whole Finch project.
Exactly my point.

I thought we were against LRT as social engineering projects which is why we are building subways subways subways into Scarborough.

It’s a balancing act. We don’t want the transit side of government operating as a silo ignoring what other departments of government are working on, when there might be synergies or benefits from application in a transit setting. However, we don’t want transit projects so burdened with every pet project of some government department such that transit infrastructure is so busy with green roofs, street art, etc etc that the basic goal or efficiency is impaired.
The cultural center is such a no-brainer in the context of the traditional shortchanging of community support for Jane Finch that I can’t imagine scrapping it. Even ML is not so high handed to not appreciate or anticipate the likely reaction when they backtracked. Once the taxpayer had bought the tract for the LRT, who paid for the cultural center slice of the site was a left-hand, right-hand irrelevance. Another provincial government would demand the privilege of donating the land just so they got the credit for it.
I can’t help but assume Caroline Mulroney’s hand in this one. It’s so typical of her anti-Toronto, anti-urban, support-greedy-developers track record first as AG and now in Transport. Even if there was a gaffe within ML, she must have been throwing them shade.... or actively insisting that Ontario get market revenue for that land. A nasty piece of work, that one.

- Paul

Total fantasy land here, but they could punch MUT tunnels under the 400 about 20 m off to either side of Finch, using the same methods as the new 401/409 tunnels. Edit to add: It would take a lot of lobbying, but it could be done.
It could be done - but it seems odd that we spend $50M (guess on my part) to replace the Finch Bridge, and then spend an additional $20M for each pedestrian tunnel, when we could have just built a longer bridge for the $50M.
We made our bed, so now we lie in it.

You must be measuring with Imperial metres.

No, he's actually right in many places.

In the central and west end of Toronto until the corridor crosses just west of the 400, the hydro corridor is closer to Finch - as close as about 210m in some places, but generally closer to or slightly over 300m from the north sidewalk to the southern edge of the corridor. (If the northern portion of the corridor was used, than obviously the distance from Finch would be correspondingly larger as well.)

(Which also raises a question that I've not seen effectively answered by anyone who offers the corridor as a viable transit avenue - what do you do west of the 400, when the hydro corridor ceases to be an option?)

But east of Victoria Park? It's at or over 1000m from the north sidewalk to the southern edge of the corridor.

Dan

No, he's actually right in many places.

In the central and west end of Toronto until the corridor crosses just west of the 400, the hydro corridor is closer to Finch - as close as about 210m in some places, but generally closer to or slightly over 300m from the north sidewalk to the southern edge of the corridor. (If the northern portion of the corridor was used, than obviously the distance from Finch would be correspondingly larger as well.)

(Which also raises a question that I've not seen effectively answered by anyone who offers the corridor as a viable transit avenue - what do you do west of the 400, when the hydro corridor ceases to be an option?)

But east of Victoria Park? It's at or over 1000m from the north sidewalk to the southern edge of the corridor.

Dan
We are in the Finch West LRT Thread, which has only ever been talked about as going as far as Don Mills. It is either about 300m away, or the hydro corridor does not even exist.
Beyond 400, there is no Finch hydro corridor so it would have had to follow elevated along Finch.

We are in the Finch West LRT Thread, which has only ever been talked about as going as far as Don Mills. It is either about 300m away, or the hydro corridor does not even exist.
Beyond 400, there is no Finch hydro corridor so it would have had to follow elevated along Finch.

Hydro corridor would be good for an express service busway that GO and TTC could use (similar to Mississauga Transitway), for express service with only stops at:

-Yorkgate area/ Access for GO buses to Highway 400
-Finch West TTC/GO station
-Yonge/Finch station
-Bayview-Cummer
-Old Cummer GO
-Seneca/ Access for GO buses to Highway 404
-Bridlewood
-Finch East GO station (to be built)

Its not and would never be a solution or replacement for local transit.

Hydro corridor would be good for an express service busway that GO and TTC could use (similar to Mississauga Transitway), for express service with only stops at:

-Yorkgate area/ Access for GO buses to Highway 400
-Finch West TTC/GO station
-Yonge/Finch station
-Bayview-Cummer
-Old Cummer GO
-Seneca/ Access for GO buses to Highway 404
-Bridlewood
-Finch East GO station (to be built)

Its not and would never be a solution or replacement for local transit.
Would only work East of Bathurst, West of Bathurst there's a ton of soccer fields, parks, and a lake.

Would only work East of Bathurst, West of Bathurst there's a ton of soccer fields, parks, and a lake.

There are definitely some topological considerations, and I think the transitway would have to go south of the reservoir, utilizing the extra corridor space on Finch for a short period, but if painted soccer lines on grass are going to cancel transit plans in Toronto then we are truly lost. Surely they can be relocated or adjusted to allow for a busway to fit.

There are definitely some topological considerations, and I think the transitway would have to go south of the reservoir, utilizing the extra corridor space on Finch for a short period, but if painted soccer lines on grass are going to cancel transit plans in Toronto then we are truly lost. Surely they can be relocated or adjusted to allow for a busway to fit.

football-referee-showing-red-card-to-displeased-player-isolated-white-background-referee-showing-red-card-gesturing-157111385.jpg

From link.

Would that be popular though? Or would it breed a ton of NIMBYism?

Back