News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 575     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 877     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

That's a lot more than one would think. Such a shameful destruction of public infrastructure, which would be very useful to have now. It would be nice if many of these cities would invest in rebuilding their lines.
I believe Vancouver is planning to upgrade the Granville streetcar and extend it to Stanley Park. Quebec City is also bringing back its tramways by 2026 but this probably isn't the right thread for this. Let's get back on topic.

That's a lot more than one would think. Such a shameful destruction of public infrastructure, which would be very useful to have now. It would be nice if many of these cities would invest in rebuilding their lines.

Most won't as they see the cost too high without a high reward.

Metrolinx just updated all of their previous replies on Metrolinx Engage to the following:

"There will be traffic signal priority at all 24 intersection sections along the FWLRT alignment."
OR
"Direct Signaling and Train Control System interface to traffic controllers will be implemented for the Traffic Signal Priority (TSP) function, such feature is absent from TTC St. Clair Streetcar. TSP will be implemented on all 24 intersections on the FWLRT alignment."

Metrolinx just updated all of their previous replies on Metrolinx Engage to the following:

"There will be traffic signal priority at all 24 intersection sections along the FWLRT alignment."
OR
"Direct Signaling and Train Control System interface to traffic controllers will be implemented for the Traffic Signal Priority (TSP) function, such feature is absent from TTC St. Clair Streetcar. TSP will be implemented on all 24 intersections on the FWLRT alignment."
Good! I'm hoping the same goes for Eglinton. Just wondering why they said there was no priority initially. They actually mention signal priority many times in a FAQ page as well which is something we all missed. Released on April 3rd: http://www.metrolinx.com/en/greater...chwest/Finch-West-LRT-FAQs_Revised_April3.pdf
"The LRT will provide service that is faster and more frequent and reliable than existing bus service by travelling in dedicated lanes with signal priority at intersections."

Last edited:
This signal priority is probably similar to what we see on King St today.

My experience there is that it works fairly well, but the streetcars obviously still hit the odd red. It's not foolproof. I'm concerned about the more complicated light cycles that will be happening along Finch and Eglinton, as each intersection will require exclusive left turn cycles which aren't on King St.

Of course not every light on King St has TSP either.

Major construction is underway near Keele Street. Further west, underground utilities are marked with flags, so work there may be imminent as well.

IMG_8415.JPG

Hwy 400 southbound will be closed between 407 and 401 from June 12-15. Likely for the first bridge replacement
You are correct, I Got this from Metrolinx the other day:

"As part of the Metrolinx Finch West LRT project, sections of the Highway 400 at the Finch Avenue West interchange will be closed for two consecutive weekends June 12-15 and June 19-22 in alternating directions to allow crews to replace the Highway 400 Bridge in stages.

During the first weekend closures from June 12-15, the southbound span of the Hwy. 400 Bridge will be removed and then replaced with a pre-constructed bridge deck. The northbound span of the Highway 400 Bridge will be replaced using the same approach on the weekend of June 19-22."

How far was the york university busway to finch? I felt like they could've used that for a link between finch west and finch. Make an lrt or put an articulated bus on it or something. You can't tell me the 984 and 939 (or even the crosstown) are good alternatives to switch between the west-east part of line 1 (and vice versa). I felt like this busway could've been utilized in another way post subway extension opening with either extending it to finch or sheppard-yonge

And yes i know the 939 uses the busway for a bit but does that truly make a difference?

Back