News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 570     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 874     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

They put buses (battery and diesel) inside garages overnight. That helps the battery buses in keeping them powered up, though generally they do plug them in.

Streetcars, light rail, and heavy rail (subway) are mostly stored outside, though they can be powered up overnight to keep warm. If they need cleaning or maintenance, they put them inside.

Actually, they shift streetcars all night long. Practically every car is moved inside (which is where the interior cleaning is done) and then spotted back outside in the order that’s planned for next day’s dispatch. (Ask me how I know - I lived a block north of Roncy for five years. Lots of screeching and some pretty nasty bang’s.) So each car potentially makes two moves a night, one into the barn and one out again.

I’m curious how that works with buses. Are they currently refuelled and spotted for cleaning when they come in? Or are they shuffled for service all night long? Is that done by the operator returning the bus, or by maintenance? (Does the operator unplug in the morning, or is it ready to go? ) If they are shuffled,, they may be plugged in and then unplugged twice each night. I presume that there is an interlock that prevents the bus from being moved while connected to the charger, or human error will happen eventually. But is the hardware going to add time to the hostler’s task? Sounds simple, just unplug or lower trolley arm before you move vehicle, but if that’s even 15 seconds it will add up when one moves 30 or 40 a night....and has to reconnect them after cleaning to finish the charging cycle. Not a dealbreaker, but just one complication. Perhaps quicker than time spent at the fuel pump, of course. Am I missing something?

- Paul

They put buses (battery and diesel) inside garages overnight. That helps the battery buses in keeping them powered up, though generally they do plug them in.

Streetcars, light rail, and heavy rail (subway) are mostly stored outside, though they can be powered up overnight to keep warm. If they need cleaning or maintenance, they put them inside.
Not all of them. They don't even have an indoor storage at Eglinton division. All 10 BYD ebuses would have to stay outdoors.

Yeah, I guess I'm just dreaming. I can just see the transit-mall area on King being beautified,
Could just use ground level power supply like Sydney’s new trams
APS I think I remember it being called, this is a cool idea too. Everyone keeps pointing out we should fix other stuff first, which I guess it fair. Would be nice for somewhere like King St. though.

Some recent construction pictures from the email newsletter.

A.jpg

B.jpg

C.jpg

I honestly wish the LRTs and Subways were colored based on their line color. It would be so vibrant! but you know toronto... always gloomy. But finch would be grey anyway
I can understand their subways being the same clour due to the fact that they can use them on all lines so having them be different clours could be problematic. However, I do agree that the LRT lines should have clour coded to the lines but I'm not a consultant that Metrolinx paid to tell them that grey is good clour because the subways are grey.

BUT the Metrolinx colour is black and white. The best they can give it is a touch of green. We all know ML hates the TTC so it won't be red. Heck the TTC logo didn't appear on any subway extension reports.

^Trust me the decision on why the LRVs are grey has nothing to do with Metrolinx "hating" the TTC, or with their own colour brand. It's purely (and they said it themselves) because they want people to think that LRTs are in the same class of operations as subways. Nothing more, and nothing less.

Pretty much they had a Doug Ford style of mentality when they picked out that livery out from the sky.

^Trust me the decision on why the LRVs are grey has nothing to do with Metrolinx "hating" the TTC, or with their own colour brand. It's purely (and they said it themselves) because they want people to think that LRTs are in the same class of operations as subways. Nothing more, and nothing less.

Pretty much they had a Doug Ford style of mentality when they picked out that livery out from the sky.
Still think that's a load of horsecrap — The T1s had red doors, the G series trains were fully red, the H series had variable colored interiors. Color has always been a part of the subway until recently — Baren concrete walls, silver rolling stock, less and less tiling...

Whatever the reason is, using grey for on-street vehicles is outright dumb. Makes them less visible, and they look boring. Subways operate in a different environment. In a brighly lit platform, a subway train looks silver rather than grey.

That said, not a big deal. The rails and all infrastructure in place, the trains are running and carrying the passengers, repainting them a few years later will be an easy job if the public asks for that.

Back