News   Apr 19, 2024
 29     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 448     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 782     3 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

Latest update for the Finch/Highway 400 interchange.

Updated Traffic Alert: Partial lane reductions on the northbound and southbound on-ramps to Hwy. 400
What: Partial lane reductions at the Finch Ave. W. westbound on-ramp to Hwy 400 southbound and the Finch Ave. W. eastbound on-ramp to Hwy 400 northbound. The lane reductions began in August 2019 and will remain in place until the replacement of the Hwy 400 bridge over Finch Ave. W. which will take place in mid-2020. The highway will remain accessible but expect partial lane reductions between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m., when required.

Why: To prepare the staging areas adjacent to the highway where new bridge decks for the Hwy 400 bridge over Finch Ave W. will be constructed. Works include excavation and related construction activities. To protect workers and motorists, there will be partial lane reductions at affected on-ramps and periodic short-term lane closures on Finch Ave. W.
wN6QwtY5AmSIB8W-sfy-u0rKatYP1gyQCbF0EOxU30R7z9cCmk1mrfrTwPIu5BcVh9JcoCLXa8gG_TNEbYojL4cuPAKbbs9Nbg9_w5h8KY13IXCD6JJ6DJHjEWtzSN3zDFkHAk6YHOb699sYNLrfsNNB8Sd6zpWKAKs=s0-d-e1-ft
Hours of Work
  • Work requiring lane reductions began in August 2019 and has been extended to mid-2020.
  • Between the hours of 7a.m. and 5p.m. when required.
  • Work may be delayed due to weather conditions or unforeseen circumstances.
What to Expect
  • Short duration partial lane reductions to the on-ramp from Finch Ave. W. eastbound to Hwy. 400 northbound.
  • Short duration partial lane reductions to the on-ramp from Finch Ave. W. westbound to Hwy. 400 southbound.
  • Access to Hwy. 400 will remain open.
  • Flag people will be in place when required.
  • Pedestrians will be accommodated through the work area.
  • Road users will have to be more cautious as heavy trucks and equipment will be active in the area.
  • Please take care when travelling near work sites.
Traffic Impacts
  • For short duration, partial lane reductions of the affected on-ramps.

I have said before, I was hoping this bridge would be replaced, instead of reusing the abutments and piers as they are doing now. In 40 to 50 years, spalling of the abutment/piers will resume, whereas they could have got a 100 yr. design life bridge for marginal extra cost. How you rehab this bridge in the 40/50 year time-frame with an active LRT line will be quite difficult.
Anyway, shift the traffic west and squeeze the lanes. Then remove part of bridge and construct and widen to the east. Then shift traffic east, remove part of bridge and widen to the west. Finally, shift traffic to the outside and demolish and reconstruct in the median. Just to maintain traffic during construction, you could almost add HOV lanes for minimal extra cost - but there was no value seen in adding these lanes as they are not part of the plan. Both ramps closed in stage 1, while only the EB to SB closed in stage 2. I expected each stage to take about 6 months - so 1 ramp closed 6 months, and 1 ramp closed 12 months. Total construction (well the hwy 400 disrupting construction) would have been about 18 months.

The current bridge has ~19m spans. I was eyeing ~25m spans, to all an extra lane and wider shoulders under the bridge - while maintaining the profile of hwy. 400. Now, they are loosing a lane to the LRT. Actually, I heard that the change in LRT train order was a slightly wider train, and the current rehab design had to be adjusted (and compromised) to accommodate these trains.

1578712297766.png

The fact that this project has survived so many changes in political leadership (e.g. Miller, Ford, and Tory) and the provincial Liberals and Conservatives shows that we have made some progress on the transit file as a society.
Public support is key to a successful project. People here realized that if we take what is offered to them instead of going overboard for some subway pipe dream, it will happen. We can see what happened to Hamilton and Sheppard East. Let's not forget that Federal money given to Sheppard East was reallocated to Finch West to use up that money before it gets taken away. QP isn't paying full price on this one.

Public support is key to a successful project. People here realized that if we take what is offered to them instead of going overboard for some subway pipe dream, it will happen. We can see what happened to Hamilton and Sheppard East. Let's not forget that Federal money given to Sheppard East was reallocated to Finch West to use up that money before it gets taken away. QP isn't paying full price on this one.
I'd say there was pretty low public support for this project. I just flew under the radar as people were complaining about other projects.
It appears the key to get a project to proceed is to propose a much more ridiculous one.

I'd say there was pretty low public support for this project. I just flew under the radar as people were complaining about other projects.
It appears the key to get a project to proceed is to propose a much more ridiculous one.
Silence doesn't mean people aren't supported. There wasn't a whole lot of opposition except that troublemaker councillor. The area the line serves being priority neighbourhoods usually don't get their voice out so we don't hear as much..

The fact that this project has survived so many changes in political leadership (e.g. Miller, Ford, and Tory) and the provincial Liberals and Conservatives shows that we have made some progress on the transit file as a society.
The thought that we've had to go through 3 mayoralties to get this done shows how pathetic Ontario has been on the transit building file. But you're right in the sense that it's impressive that this project has escaped unscathed throughout all of the political change we've had.

Back