News   Apr 17, 2024
 219     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 260     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

You mean within an independent province of the Greater Golden Horseshoe? Yes, maybe the 905 will vote differently from Parkdale and Leslieville, but at the moment so do the outer 416, so I don't see that as being a contradiction to the goals of succession. Democracy is still democracy.

No, I mean if Toronto municipal elections were eliminated and the city voted to send MPPs to QP as I think @Steve X suggested.

It should only eliminate the regional governments. Municipal governments have their place - for local issues. The current city of Toronto should revert back to former six municipalities. Maybe they can also carve up Mississauga and Brampton.
A lot of the stuff that happens in council meetings are BS that doesn't need the attention of the entire city. They discuss items like should the temporary left turn continue at Finch and Elana during the FInch West LRT construction which is totally valid for this thread and absolutely not important to a councillor in Scarborough. With a GTA province, each MPP could adopt its own board (elected or appointed by MPP) to deal with these issues. THese issues can be decentralized while they deal with more important issues.

Right now local issues like could TTC add cameras to streetcars to ticket people would require TO council to debate and request permission, QP to debate and implement a law (hopefully), then Toronto debate, analyse and adopt whatever is allowed by QP. The fines are totally controlled by QP. With an independent Toronto/GTA, they could debate once and pass a law that is appropriate for the situation. It will eliminate the redundancy and bureaucracy in the current system.

Check out Ottawa/Hull, or any US city with a river through it, before you think about putting a “provincial” boundary anywhere in the middle of the GTA. Inevitably, there are different cities on each bank, there is a have and a have-not side of the river, and regional coordination becomes even more difficult..
Giving Toronto Charter or Province status would have the same effect as a pair of riverbanks. The governance has to stay at GTA or higher level to function effectively.

A better solution would be downloading taxation. Ottawa over collects revenue, returning the money to taxpayers not as equalisation but purely as vote buying. Let’s face it, Ottawa’s contribution to GTA transit projects is not being raised by taxing Fredericton or Swift Current. It’s money raised in the GTA,. Federal programs should be restricted to true “universal” programs funded from true “federal” revenue sources, with less money taken from taxpayers at the federal level for “local” disbursement. This puts the burden on the Province to impose further taxation, but it frees the Province from asking anything of Ottawa.

I would argue that in turn, the same thing is true at the Provincial level....Queens Park is not taxing Sudbury or Windsor to pay for GTA infrastructure. So again, lower provincial taxation, download the revenue collection to the GTA and get the Province out of the decisionmaking.

Overall taxation would net out at the same level for the average taxpayer, but it would be transparent and the jurisdiction that spends the money would bethe jurisdiction to raise the money - a much more accountable political system.

In the end, it’s all about raising the money.... fix this, and the rest will follow.

- Paul

Last edited:
Going back to the vehicle colour comments from a few pages ago - could be worse:

From link

Torontonians can't even agree on what should be priority spending. Somehow Scarborough became a priority. Now we expect magically the golden horseshoe will be able to act as it's own province and agree together on items. I'm skeptical that is ever going to happen. And I'm also skeptical that under such a system Toronto would benefit any more than it is now. People in the 905 are not going to agree on tolling any highways.

Drove by today they are starting to put the temporary traffic lights up west of Keele. I think a lot of people don't understand the disaster this will cause when they really start ripping up the road, this widening looks quite a bit more challenging than Hwy 7 West, since finch is a lot more narrow to begin with, they need to take a lot of land to fit everything in, it'll be interesting to see how it all works.

Renderings of the Finch West MSF:

Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 12.57.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 12.57.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 12.57.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 12.57.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 12.57.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 12.57.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 12.58.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 12.58.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 12.58.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 12.58.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 12.58.50 PM.png

I really hope this turns out well because there might be more riding on this than any other transit project. As the only true surface LRT being built in Toronto, it will make or break similar proposals in the future.

Back