News   Mar 28, 2024
 389     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 367     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 715     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

I don't know about you guys, but I'm salivating just thinking about the inevitable redevelopment and urbanization of Albion Mall that this lrt will bring. It's such a huge lot and it's wasted on parking lots and grass atm.

This project will be a major boon to riders and the area.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm salivating just thinking about the inevitable redevelopment and urbanization of Albion Mall that this lrt will bring. It's such a huge lot and it's wasted on parking lots and grass atm.

Theres also that huge 20+ acre plot NE beside Albion.

Theres also that huge 20+ acre plot NE beside Albion.
I've explored/trespassed on that land. It's pretty cool. The best part is the long abandoned road that leads to it from the Islington/Finch intersection. I recommend any urban explorers check it out before it's redeveloped. Read about it here: https://hikingthegta.com/2016/10/27/country-hospital-for-sick-children/
The property has a cool history.

I've explored/trespassed on that land. It's pretty cool. The best part is the long abandoned road that leads to it from the Islington/Finch intersection. I recommend any urban explorers check it out before it's redeveloped. Read about it here: https://hikingthegta.com/2016/10/27/country-hospital-for-sick-children/
The property has a cool history.

It's too bad that the current practise of amalgamating, centralizing, and closing of small neighbourhood hospitals, that a new hospital or other health care centre couldn't be built there. We end up having to use the car (or public transit), instead of walking to a health care centre in a neighbourhood, and adding minutes or more likely hours for a medical checkup at a hospital.

Trees along Finch west of Keele have either been surrounded with protective fencing or cut down so early work has started.

And then there's this:

IMG_8925.JPG
IMG_8924.JPG
IMG_8922.JPG
IMG_8921.JPG
IMG_8920.JPG

The option was either this rapid bridge replacement (RBR), or a whole new bridge.
The RBR reuses the existing abutments and piers. The new bridge is built off to the side, and then with a weekend closure of the 400, the old bridge is removed and the new one brought into place. (Similar to what was first done in Ottawa: https://www.canadianconsultingengin...nt-of-highway-417-island-park-drive-overpass/.
A new bridge would have been built in stages and had all new components. The span would have been a bit longer to accommodate additional lanes for the LRT and still maintain car lanes. Prefab components could have been used to speed construction, but it would likely have taken 2 years. Lanes would have been shifted on 400, but basically all kept open.
I think the first option had the lower initial cost and the 2nd had a lower life cycle cost. The City said there was no benefit to having additional lanes under 400. Likely in 50 years when this bridge need replacement we will regret the decision to not build a fully new bridge. For the next 50 years, we will regret the decision as going under the Finch Bridge will become a larger bottleneck than it is now.

The option was either this rapid bridge replacement (RBR), or a whole new bridge.
The RBR reuses the existing abutments and piers. The new bridge is built off to the side, and then with a weekend closure of the 400, the old bridge is removed and the new one brought into place. (Similar to what was first done in Ottawa: https://www.canadianconsultingengin...nt-of-highway-417-island-park-drive-overpass/.
A new bridge would have been built in stages and had all new components. The span would have been a bit longer to accommodate additional lanes for the LRT and still maintain car lanes. Prefab components could have been used to speed construction, but it would likely have taken 2 years. Lanes would have been shifted on 400, but basically all kept open.
I think the first option had the lower initial cost and the 2nd had a lower life cycle cost. The City said there was no benefit to having additional lanes under 400. Likely in 50 years when this bridge need replacement we will regret the decision to not build a fully new bridge. For the next 50 years, we will regret the decision as going under the Finch Bridge will become a larger bottleneck than it is now.
well...you know public works....they rarely consider anything past their elected mandate...

According to Metrolinx they are going with the RBR, closing the 400 north lanes One weekend and the South Lanes another weekend to replace the two sections.

According to the rendering there will be 3 lanes of traffic each way plus the lrt lanes plus an on ramp and a side walk so I'm guessing there is enough room under the existing bridge so they don't have to make it wider. Which would make sense why they are doing the RBR

400 finch west lrt.JPG

According to the rendering there will be 3 lanes of traffic each way plus the lrt lanes plus an on ramp and a side walk so I'm guessing there is enough room under the existing bridge so they don't have to make it wider. Which would make sense why they are doing the RBR

View attachment 212328
Call me super dumb this morning, but what is the green line?

Back