News   Apr 19, 2024
 39     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 727     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6.9K     2 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

I'm not sure these priorities could be determined until the Liberals pick a new leader and have a chance of winning the election.

I don't see Ford financially supporting any extensions of Finch, even if it opens during his second term and is considered successful.

I don't see Woodbine funding 100% of the cost of an extension. ~2km to Woodbine GO for elevated track is still a fair amount for them.

I don't see an NDP majority government appearing in the near future. NDP polling even above the OPC by a few % still gives OPC a majority due to the distribution of the votes. NDP needs over 45% of the popular vote to win a majority, or a big swing in their voter base to South-Western Ontario.

Why would this extension to Woodbine be elevated, wouldn't most of it be at grade? There is only like 2 intersections to contend with before getting onto the Woodbine Lands and if it was to be even elevated onto the future Woodbine station would be, it should be a relatively short stretch. This could be a quick win which should be done with the government and help from the developer at Woodbine.

There is a push from developers for a southwest extension to Woodbine Entertainment and Pearson Airport. But will that happen before, after, or at the same time as the east extension to the Finch Subway Station at Yonge Street?
In my opinion, the east extension would open first because it was originally part of Transit city so it's already planned ahead. The Pearson extension wasn't even thought of until just before transit city was cancelled.

If the developer is willing to bear some of the cost for the extension then the extension to Woodbine/Pearson should happen first.

If the developer is willing to bear some of the cost for the extension then the extension to Woodbine/Pearson should happen first.
True and remember the extension will terminate at the Pearson Transit Hub funded by the GTAA. So this should have priority over the east extension

You guys know Ford is still in office right?

Should be called to the Principal's office. Ba dum tss!
giphy-downsized-large.gif

You guys know Ford is still in office right?

True but I don't see the benefit in elevating the line just for the sake of elevating. High 27 here is relatively wide here and can be expanded so now car lanes will be lost. Elevating the line to Woodbine will not save that much time since the line is just a short distance. It is just not worth the added expense to go elevated if we do not see substantial savings in the time of trips.

True but I don't see the benefit in elevating the line just for the sake of elevating. High 27 here is relatively wide here and can be expanded so now car lanes will be lost. Elevating the line to Woodbine will not save that much time since the line is just a short distance. It is just not worth the added expense to go elevated if we do not see substantial savings in the time of trips.

The Eglinton Crosstown LRT (going west from Keelesdale Station) will exit underground to go elevated OVER the Black Creek and Black Creek Drive before going back underground before Weston Road at Mt. Dennis Station. A short distance of less than 900 m in total.

You're forgetting that with light rail, they can use steeper inclines and tighter curves than heavy rail.

I agree with you, Metrolinx probably agrees with you, and the business case for the line almost certainly agrees with you.

For that reason I do not expect any public/official movement on Finch (in either direction) until after Ford is removed from office.

There is a push from developers for a southwest extension to Woodbine Entertainment and Pearson Airport. But will that happen before, after, or at the same time as the east extension to the Finch Subway Station at Yonge Street?

Personally im much more in favour of a west extension of the Sheppard Subway to the Spadina Line than a Finch East extension of the LRT, and I feel like the Sheppard extension would make the Finch extension unnecessary.

I agree with you, Metrolinx probably agrees with you, and the business case for the line almost certainly agrees with you.

For that reason I do not expect any public/official movement on Finch (in either direction) until after Ford is removed from office.
Three years.

But if the line is ever extended to Pearson, it could be elevated straight to the RTC.

Personally im much more in favour of a west extension of the Sheppard Subway to the Spadina Line than a Finch East extension of the LRT, and I feel like the Sheppard extension would make the Finch extension unnecessary.
Agreed but the western extension is not happening anytime soon if ever. Neither is the eastern extension of the Finch West LRT. Let’s just hope they build it and it gets completed in the next few years. I don’t see any extensions until likely 2030s or 40s

I've actually found it quite silly both the Finch West LRT and Sheppard East extension would both appear on some transit project maps. The distance between them is not that great so it seems to be a waste of capital considering how backlogged the city has become on transit projects. I always thought it would be far better to either extend the Finch LRT east on Finch, turn south on Bathurst, and East again on Sheppard to connect with the Sheppard Line. Or have the Sheppard Line extended along the same route to Finch West station, similar to how Ligne Bleue runs in Montreal, to create a more seamless transit corridor across the Northern part of the city. This is definitely in the realms of fantasy considering the tight curves and the bureaucratic nature of City Hall, just another line to stick on the fridge.

Back