News   Apr 26, 2024
 359     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 323     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 508     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

Wondering if places like Albion Centre will experience situations, like at Yorkdale Mall, where they will have to request a parking fee before the stores open for people who will park their cars there and take the Finch West LRT (and transfers) to work, school, play, and shopping?

I think that's a great idea. People can drive their cars, park em there, and then go downtown, therefore removing anymore traces of automobile gods.

I think that's a great idea. People can drive their cars, park em there, and then go downtown, therefore removing anymore traces of automobile gods.
If they are driving and going to have to pay, would they not just drive farther to avoid the transfer.?
Would they drive to another mall, where it's free. Take the bus to the LRT, transfer to LRT. Take LRT to subway. Transfer to subway?

Wondering if places like Albion Centre will experience situations, like at Yorkdale Mall, where they will have to request a parking fee before the stores open for people who will park their cars there and take the Finch West LRT (and transfers) to work, school, play, and shopping?

It has happened at VMC.

So my guess is it will happen along this line as well.

I remember there was a building at Keele + Finch that already charged for Parking.

If they are driving and going to have to pay, would they not just drive farther to avoid the transfer.?
Would they drive to another mall, where it's free. Take the bus to the LRT, transfer to LRT. Take LRT to subway. Transfer to subway?

Well, this kind of thing would be designed around those types of drivers who say, wanna carpool and have the money to.

News on construction:
Finch West LRT
In early April, crews will start installing safety fences & set up site trailers at Finch Avenue/Keele Street intersection, the maintenance & storage site, Hwy. 400 Bridge at Finch Ave., Humber College & Highway 27. By end of 2019, construction will start at those sites. ^LS

So set-up some fences means construction can start only end of 2019?

Some more info in the latest news letter:

2019 Finch West LRT Construction Overview
38b4e877-d135-473b-b7ab-e87e1f8b0901.jpg
Starting this Spring 2019, you will see more construction activities along Finch Avenue West for the LRT line.

Mosaic Transit Group, the contractor selected by Metrolinx and Infrastructure Ontario is working hard to deliver a new transit system to Northwest Toronto, while managing access and minimizing impacts on and around Finch Avenue West.

Since the start of the year, work crews have been busy doing preparatory works, such as testing soil quality and condition along the corridor. Over the next few weeks, the crews will set up site offices at the maintenance and storage facility, located on Finch Avenue West between York Gate Boulevard and Norfinch Drive.

This April, they will begin to clear the site, install an access road and install fencing around the site perimeter to make way for construction. At the same time, similar works will be taking place at the site of the new Finch West LRT station on Finch Avenue at Keele Street, Highway 400 bridge, Humber College and Highway 27.

Wait you want more stops? I'm so confused.

If you insist we go ahead and build this thing why not?

The gap between Martin Grove and Westmore is quite wide and 2 bus stops will be lost. Are they planning on running a parallel bus service when the LRT opens?

As a pro lrt person I'm concerned more stops will help pro subway people paint the lrt as a streetcar. As a result I'd prefer less stops then to hear streetcar rhetoric

As a pro lrt person I'm concerned more stops will help pro subway people paint the lrt as a streetcar. As a result I'd prefer less stops then to hear streetcar rhetoric

Being on the surface, they can add more stops in the future as the neighbourhoods get developed with higher density. Then it would become a battle between the NIMBYs and the YIMBYs.

The frequent 927 will still service those stops. It would be less convenient to transfer but they aren't losing local service. We are unsure if this is the case with Eg West if they line gets buried.

Given the Finch West LRT is very similar to something like the 510, what are the chances they run it 24/7?
I don't know how Finch West is similar (let alone very similar) to the 510. The stop spacing is much further apart. There's no where near as many traffic lights. The average speed will be about two-and-a-half times faster!

510 on Spadina has an average stop spacing of about 260 metres and an average speed of about 10 km/hr in PM peak. Finch West has a spacing of about 650 metres (further apart than the subway downtown!) - that's 2.5 times further between stops! The average speed should be similar to the subway (somewhere between about 25 and 28 km/hr).

What might be a factor, is the current 36 Finch West bus does about 14 km/hr in rush-hour. But the overnight 336 Finch West Bus already averages 28 km/hr. So why replace a bus with a much bigger train that's not any faster, and is less convenient with stops much further apart?

Both operate similar rolling stock on a similar right of way, hence my expectation is that if Spadina can operate 24/7 with maintenance then Finch should also be able to.
Okay. I"m sure they could ... but why would they? With the night bus currently as fast a the LRT - and even some subway services, wouldn't running the night bus instead provide a better service, with the stops closer together? (though my experience of night buses is that they often go significant distances without stopping).

There are a few reasons why running trains overnight on the LRT would be better. You wouldn't have to maintain a separate set of shelters along the entire line. The LRT stops will likely be more comfortable, and riders wouldn't have to worry about where they should be standing based on time of day. The LRT will presumably have signal priority, which the buses would lack.

On the other hand, as you said the bus could provide closer stop spacing. It would also provide a better transfer at Finch West station, where almost everyone would be boarding another bus when the subway is out of service.

Part of the answer too will come down to who is operating this line and under what terms. The province is constructing it, but we don't actually know that it will be operated and maintained by the TTC using unionized workers. If the province contracts out operations/maintenance for this line, then the terms of the contract would presumably determine operating hours.

Back