News   Apr 16, 2024
 170     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.3K     5 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

For better or worse I'm not a fan of someone's last name get them a job. Someone should be able to lead without the last name bush, Clinton, Trudeau ford and or trump. Btw I voted for Trudeau. I have pretty much nothing good to say about trump but he did market his own name.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finch_Avenue#History

Finch Avenue was named after hotel owner John Finch, who operated John Finch's Hotel at the northeast corner of Finch Avenue and Yonge Street in Toronto.

(P.S. quoting someone dims the editing tools, making them unusable.)

He got the job though because of his last name. I would like to be totally unqualified for a job yet get it because of a name and then get the opportunity to prove myself worthy the after. There are lots of really nice guys who get far less chances.
Trudeau got the job of PM, while being totally unqualified and relying on his last name.
If that is acceptable, why not for a lowly Councillor.

No, because the Finch West LRT is scheduled to open in 2023, while the Eglinton LRT opens in 2021.

I continue to be impressed by how Metrolinx has totally botched the delivery of the Finch West LRT and Eglinton Crosstown LRT. Everything from the vehicle order, to their self-imposed delays, to their apparent failure to review Crosslinx's claims before giving the company a massive $250 Million payout. All of Metrolinx's bureaucracy, their alternative procurement models, were supposed to shield taxpayers from this nonsense. If not for the mismanagement of Metrolinx and the Liberal government, the Finch West LRT would have likely been imminently operational, and the ECLRT would've been just a year from completion.

I said both were unacceptable and I admitted to voting for one.
I would say there is an order of magnitude difference in the degree of mistake it was in voting for the one who has absolute power. The other is 1 voice of 25, and maybe only decides what day is garbage day.

I would say there is an order of magnitude difference in the degree of mistake it was in voting for the one who has absolute power. The other is 1 voice of 25, and maybe only decides what day is garbage day.

I know this is way off topic, but if one councillor decided what day was garbage day, result would be chaos. Back to Finch LRT, this project is sort of a odd duck when it comes to Metrolinx's LRT projects. Won't be as long as Eglinton, as suburban as Hurontario, or as far fetched as the Hamilton LRT, which with DoFo in power, won't get built

I think if Eglinton was grade separated from Mount Dennis to STC as previously planned - then Ford would have already announced extensions to Malvern and Pearson.

For Finch, if it had progressed another 6 to 12 month from where it is now before the election, then construction would continue.
If it was 12 month behind where it is now, Ford would have announced plans to study a subway (grade-separated) along the route (or part in the hydro corridor). That likely would have taken the full 4 year term.
As it is, I imagine things are being delayed as much as possible that the contract will allow.

I’m not seeing any signs that this project is being wound down. It may be plodding along, but that’s just ML’s usual pace. There is a signed contract, early works are proceeding, as is vehicle procurement. The penalties for cancellation would be huge, and get bigger every day as the contractor mobilises and does procurement for materials etc.
Whilr Ford Nation may not like LRT, there is no upside to shutting this project down. Construction companies are part of Ford’s inner circle, after all. Far more likely that projects in Hamilton and Mississauga don’t get the green light.

- Paul

I think if Eglinton was grade separated from Mount Dennis to STC as previously planned - then Ford would have already announced extensions to Malvern and Pearson.
It wasn't planned to be grade separated from the start. What is being built now is what was planned it was Doug ford that wanted to make it grade separated in a tunnel the entire length to be exat and it would have added more money to the project and required another EA to be done as it would have changed the project completely.

I work for MX and had a chance to ask our CFO specifically abt the status of this project privately after a town hall in December. She was very confident in this project moving forward with no chance of cancellation for the same reasons outlined on this board. This project is too far in flight to cancel at this point.

Trudeau got the job of PM, while being totally unqualified and relying on his last name.
If that is acceptable, why not for a lowly Councillor.
I'd say it was a little more than just name recognition with Trudeau, though it definitely helped with the campaign.

For Finch, if it had progressed another 6 to 12 month from where it is now before the election, then construction would continue.
If it was 12 month behind where it is now, Ford would have announced plans to study a subway (grade-separated) along the route (or part in the hydro corridor). That likely would have taken the full 4 year term.
As it is, I imagine things are being delayed as much as possible that the contract will allow.

Ford would have announced nothing because they’re busy recklessly slashing revenues while the province bleeds money.

And if he did announce something, I assure you he’d just be dicking around voters, like he’s doing with the SSE.

It wasn't planned to be grade separated from the start. What is being built now is what was planned it was Doug ford that wanted to make it grade separated in a tunnel the entire length to be exat and it would have added more money to the project and required another EA to be done as it would have changed the project completely.
There's the argument that the Eglinton West Subway, if eventually extended eastward, would have been grade separated heavy rail along the entirety of Eglinton. Goddamnit Harris.

Back