News   Apr 25, 2024
 220     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 437     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.4K     1 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

A few highlights of what was said at this event: https://twitter.com/FinchWestLRT/status/1055937813672153088?s=19

Notes by @LongBranchMike:

It was mostly about the soil conditions along the route. Most is glacial till, what most of Toronto consists of. But the Black Creek is problematic as the river fill is looser. It's about where Finch Ave washed away in 2015. Talk was about boring samples and data interpretation. Engineering design of track-bed is by Arup Canada, working with track engineers wishing to optimise ride quality. Slightly different design on Finch for the Alstom LRVs, vs for the Bombardier LRVs on Eglinton Crosstown.

Currently working on 60% design in 3 weeks. Late 2019 engineering design 100% done. Will take spoil from tunnel portals at Finch West station and Humber College station and use it for embankments and River fill stabilization. Tunnel at former will be right above subway tunnel. May have to raise road a bit. Currently moving utilities from under Finch, will be putting comms and other cables in ducts under track-bed, accessible by access chambers near stops, off to side not under tracks to avoid disrupting service in case of maintenance or replacement of cables.

The engineer showed a diagram of the weight stresses from the Alstom LRV bogies, but explained that the Bombardier cars have bogies in slightly different places, hence different stress pattern. She said that the track can be displaced up to 6 mil (I can’t recall this measure off the top of my head, and I'm not near Internet), due to vehicle weight, heat expansion.

So nothing precludes Bombardier vehicles running on Finch West LRT, but the ride smoothness is optimised for Alstom's.

Seeing that they're switching to the Alstom LRV which is longer, guessing that Finch West won't be able to support two-vehicle-long platforms like originally planned with the Bombardier LRV?

The 4 large module Alstom LRVs they are getting will be plenty big for the forseeable future.

They are almost as long as 2 coupled Flexities, and when you take into account the wasted space at the ends of each coupled flexities, they are probably about the same crush load volume.

Lovely new renders:

Humber College Station:
humber1232_400.jpg

Keele (Finch West Station):
interiorbelow1232_400.jpg

keeleinterior1232_400.jpg

MSF:
maintenance1232_400.jpg

Sentinel:
sentinal1232_400.jpg

Martin Grove:
westplatformeve1232_400.jpg

You haven't seen them before, neither have I, so "new" to UT. Let's try to not be so picky in the future, can we?
???

Actually, I was wondering if they'd changed the plan, and this was no longer going to be Line 6. I wonder how they compare to the previous renders someone posted - I think further up this thread.

Back