News   Apr 18, 2024
 334     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2K     4 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

Is there going to be a separate building to enter for the LRT? at Finch West station?

The current Finch West station Line 1 entrances will work for the LRT and subway, as well as one newly constructed entrance depicted below (grey and teal building).
finchwest-1.jpg

To build faster would require more funding for weekend and 24/7 construction. Not possible with the current anti-transit Premier Ford holding the purse strings.
Cause if it was still the liberals in power they would’ve opened the purse strings? Especially since the time that finch LRT was originally proposed, it should have already been up and running along with Shepard lrt

This line will pass through Jane and Finch, and you will pay prior to boarding...
Any particular reason you mention that intersection?

Metrolinx has said that Line 5 vehicles will be Presto-enabled. Why would Line 6 be any different?

upload_2018-8-24_16-28-29.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-24_16-28-29.png
    upload_2018-8-24_16-28-29.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 489
Latest article.

Could be tough to implement because as noted in the article the contract has already been signed.

While both the Mobility Greenway and Metrolinx plans allocate similar space, the greenway plan provides critical isolation between cyclists and traffic -- I'd much prefer it over the Metrolinx' one!

This idea that cyclists are a bigger hazard to pedestrians than cars are to cyclists has really got to die out. If you wouldn't feel safe cycling on it with your kids then it's not really proper cycling infrastructure.

While both the Mobility Greenway and Metrolinx plans allocate similar space, the greenway plan provides critical isolation between cyclists and traffic -- I'd much prefer it over the Metrolinx' one!

This idea that cyclists are a bigger hazard to pedestrians than cars are to cyclists has really got to die out. If you wouldn't feel safe cycling on it with your kids then it's not really proper cycling infrastructure.

Ummm...cyclists do kill pedestrians. And I have been hit by a cyclist as a pedestrian.

So yes. they are very much a hazard to pedestrians. And if you don't think a cyclist is a hazard than I hope that I am not walking near you when you are biking.

I've been to some #FriendlyStreets meetings that talk of good infrastructure design that minimizes odds of conflicts between cars/bikes/pedestrians.

Go to the root of the problem.

Ummm...cyclists do kill pedestrians. And I have been hit by a cyclist as a pedestrian.

So yes. they are very much a hazard to pedestrians. And if you don't think a cyclist is a hazard than I hope that I am not walking near you when you are biking.

Cyclists do kill pedestrians... in a "man bites dog" news sense. There are fundamental physics at play, a 170 lb cyclist + 10 lb bike going 25 km/hour just doesn't have the same momentum as a three-tonne car going 90 km/hour. There is a very strong relationship between the speed of a car during the collision and the chances of a pedestrian's survival, and at the speed that cyclists can attain (keep in mind that they have less than 5% of the mass of a car), even if they collided with the mass of a vehicle there is very little risk of death.

Speed%20risk%20of%20death380x231.png

There are some prominant cases where an elderly pedestrian has died in collisions with cyclists, usually where they get clipped and fall in a certain way. The same thing likely could have happened with a reckless asshole on a rollerblader or scooter. According to this (alarmist) article, 3 people died in the UK in 2016 as a result of bike-pedestrian collisions (in a country of 66 million people, with a much higher proportion of cyclists than in North America.)

1088808.jpg

But to put those in context, here are the number of pedestrians killed in collisions with cars in the US:

upload_2018-8-28_17-13-8.png

That's not even counting the cyclists, motorcyclists, and other motorists killed in traffic violence, or the serious or crippling injuries.

This isn't meant to defend asshole cyclists who aren't respectful to pedestrians: I've been hit by careless cyclists too (the most frustrating thing: there was a bike lane but he was on the sidewalk!) But although cyclists can be a nuisance, it's vehicles that are the threat. Cyclists killing pedestrians is a statistical non-event, less likely than being killed by falling furniture or spider bites.

It's unfortunate to equivocate between cyclists and vehicles because cyclists and pedestrians are on the same side of the dashboard when it comes to traffic violence. Measures that make streets safer for cycling (road diets, bike lanes, speed reductions) also make them safer for pedestrians. Giving cyclists better facilities also usually means getting them out of the way of pedestrians.

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-28_17-13-8.png
    upload_2018-8-28_17-13-8.png
    122.6 KB · Views: 499
Last edited:
I've been to some #FriendlyStreets meetings that talk of good infrastructure design that minimizes odds of conflicts between cars/bikes/pedestrians.

Certainly separating all three modes from each other (i.e. like what I saw on a business trip to Eindhoven in The Netherlands, not sure if the entire country is like that but I'd like to think that it is) would be the best approach.

Back