News   Mar 28, 2024
 102     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

Interesting to see Alstom reusing the old Canadian National livery.

A picture of a board at a recent open house showing an Alstom LRV in the Metrolinx "grey and white" livery. Source.
DK2N5cBXcAATPQ_.jpg:orig

This is from May 1978 in Winnipeg
upload_2017-10-5_4-40-35.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-5_4-40-35.png
    upload_2017-10-5_4-40-35.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 577
I rather wait an extra year for Flexity Freedom than this. The design looks so uninspiring and ugly overall. Looks almost a bit outdated. I'll be a regular commuter btw.
Vehicle model aside (Flexity or not):

I suspect the drab Metrolinx grey is a temporary placeholder color at the moment.
The final vehicles probably would end up being more traditionally transit-colored.

This was discussed about on the TYSSE thread. So there was a BlogTO post that said there was a prebuilt “station box”, while someone working on the project, Joanna Kervin, said that the Finch West LRT platform was not in the contract. So fake news. At least a breakout panel should be there.
That correct. The station box wasn't part of TYSSE but Finch West station is designed to handle commuters coming from the LRT thus won't have an awkward connection. The LRT station is small and shallow unlike the TYSSE station which includes the crossover tracks too. It would be built with the LRT.

News Release

New Rapid Transit Line Along Finch West Takes Major Step Forward
December 14, 2017

Ontario Providing Faster Transit for Commuters and Families with Finch West LRT
Ontario has taken a major step forward in building the Finch West Light Rail Transit (LRT) line--a new rapid transit line for commuters and families that will connect the new Finch West Subway Station on the Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension to Humber College.

Steven Del Duca, Minister of Transportation, along with Mario Sergio, MPP for York West, and Josh Colle, Chair of the TTC, announced the close of a Request for Proposals to companies shortlisted to design, build, finance and maintain the Finch West LRT.

Ontario is also celebrating the opening of a new Finch West LRT community office at 2540 Finch Ave. West to serve those living and working in nearby neighbourhoods. The community office will provide up-to-date information about the project directly to the public, in addition to other community outreach initiatives.

The Finch West LRT project includes:
  • 11 kilometres of new, dedicated light rail transit.
  • 18 stops, including a below-grade stop at Humber College and an underground interchange station at the TTC's Finch West Subway Station.
  • A maintenance and storage facility for light rail vehicles.

The new LRT will move more people faster through the busy Finch West corridor, connecting them to local and regional transit services, including the TTC, GO Transit, Mississauga Miway, York Viva, and Brampton Züm transit services.

Building better public transit for commuters and families is part of Ontario's plan to create fairness and opportunity during this period of rapid economic change. The plan includes a higher minimum wage and better working conditions, free tuition for hundreds of thousands of students, easier access to affordable child care, and free prescription drugs for everyone under 25 through the biggest expansion of medicare in a generation.

QUICK FACTS
  • Ontario is investing $1.2 billion in the Finch West LRT, to expand and improve transit in the City of Toronto.
  • Under the Building Canada Fund-Major Infrastructure Component, the Government of Canada is contributing up to $333 million towards the Finch West Light Rail Transit project.
  • The project is being delivered using Infrastructure Ontario's Alternative Financing and Procurement model, which transfers appropriate risks associated with design, construction, financing and maintenance of the project to the private sector.
  • A transportation system that efficiently connects people, places and goods is part of Ontario’s plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe (GGH) Region. The province is currently seeking input on a draft set of goals and objectives for the GGH Transportation Plan through a surveyrunning until Dec. 23, 2017.
  • Ontario is making the largest infrastructure investment in hospitals, schools, public transit, roads and bridges in the province's history. To learn more about what's happening in your community, go to Ontario.ca/BuildON.

The Finch West LRT Instagram page just put up some preliminary renderings of the line. I must say, the surface stops look much more substantial than those in the Crosstown renderings. I'm impressed. The Finch West renderings look like they could generate a bit of "excitement" for this project.

I think this line is in a dire need of shedding some stops. Definitely get rid of Driftwood and one of Stevenson/Albion.

The Finch West LRT Instagram page just put up some preliminary renderings of the line. I must say, the surface stops look much more substantial than those in the Crosstown renderings. I'm impressed. The Finch West renderings look like they could generate a bit of "excitement" for this project.
Isn't the design ultimately up to the winning bidder? if so, I wouldn't read too much into these preliminary renderings.

I think this line is in a dire need of shedding some stops. Definitely get rid of Driftwood and one of Stevenson/Albion.

Agreed completely. There are some areas where there are 2-3 stops between concession roads. Might as well be a local bus with that kind of stop spacing. IMO the proposed stop spacing for the Hurontario LRT strikes the right balance between speed and accessibility.

It has more shelters than what’s in the rendering for Eglinton. But these designs are just conceptual, so I wouldn’t read into it

New (beautiful) rendering of the FWLRT:

Underground portal to access Finch West station:
finchwest-1.jpg

Edit: more renderings on Instagram:

Stevenson stop:
q3jxKP4.png

Duncanwoods stop:
c6jYmzq.png

Humber College Station (the Instagram page decidedly used "station" rather than stop for this post).
1zhscEW.png

It is interesting to see the "underground" section open-trenched, with it clearly being designed to allow a future extension. This station reminds me of Ottawa's Confederation Line LRT stations.

Last edited:
Driftwood wasn’t part of the original proposal, but was added at public request.

I know. That's the problem with the non-grade separated surface transit. Stops are cheap to build so if some constituents make a bit of noise (everyone wants a stop in front of their bungalow/apartment building) they can easily have new ones added even when unwarranted.

It is interesting to see the "underground" section trenched, with it clearly being designed to allow a future extension. This station reminds me of Ottawa's Confederation Line LRT stations.

Or the Mississauga Transitway, but with trains.

I know. That's the problem with the non-grade separated surface transit. Stops are cheap to build so if some constituents make a bit of noise (everyone wants a stop in front of their bungalow/apartment building) they can easily have new ones added even when unwarranted.

Maybe low-ridership stops could be by request only? Trains don't have to stop if there's no one on the platform and no one wants to get off.

Or the Mississauga Transitway, but with trains.

Maybe low-ridership stops could be by request only? Trains don't have to stop if there's no one on the platform and no one wants to get off.

I highly doubt that would ever happen. Look at 510 Spadina. Every stop gets requested or stopped at if it's even just for one person. People just want to know that a stop is in place and they'll make use of it. This is what troubles me about these suburban light rail projects.

Back