News   Apr 19, 2024
 317     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 548     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 922     3 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

Not surprising at all that the mayor couldn't care less about transit on Sheppard. Expect the cost to jump up considerably due to inflation by the time they finally get around to building it

Don Peat @reporterdonpeat
Mayor John Tory won't fight province's decision to put off Sheppard LRT construction until Finch LRT is done #TOpoli

Oliver Moore‏@moore_oliver
Construction on Finch LRT to start spring 2016. Skedded to open 2021. Price-tag has jumped slightly, from $1B to $1.2B. #onpoli #topoli

Last edited:
I've seen a lot of dates float around. Didn't the budget say "procurement" in 2018? What part of construction would start in 2016?

Tess Kalinowski tweeted

Tess Kalinowski ‏@TessKalinowski 3 hrs3 hours ago

Mayor Tory says Finch LRT will not take out a lane of traffic but will connect people to jobs. #TOpoli #onpoli

Is this true? That must mean that the highway 400 bridges will be replaced with longer ones. I don't think that was part of the original plan.

Tess Kalinowski tweeted

Is this true? That must mean that the highway 400 bridges will be replaced with longer ones. I don't think that was part of the original plan.

Looks like they would just need to reduce the length of the lanes for the on ramps to the 400. They would then have space for the LRT and three lanes of traffic, thereby not taking out any lanes (the on ramps therefore wouldn't count. Other may know more about this than me.

400 and Finch.jpg

Attachments

• 400 and Finch.jpg
    400 and Finch.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 638
So if construction starts in 2016, when do contracts come out? Has to be around fall of this year I would assume? Earlier?

Great news. This was the LRT to push all along.
How is yet another 1-year delay to the Finch LRT good news? Construction was supposed to start 2016 and be complete in 2020 they said last year. Now another 1-year delay.

How is yet another 1-year delay to the Finch LRT good news? Construction was supposed to start 2016 and be complete in 2020 they said last year. Now another 1-year delay.

Today confirmed that the project is actually happening after years of silence and delays. It could've easily been delayed into the far future like Sheppard or cancelled.

The fact that it's so close to construction start (1 year as opposed to 3 years for Hurontario) makes it seem likely that construction will actually start as announced next year and by the next elections in 2018 it will have been under construction for 2 years and beyond the point of no return.

To me, last week I was only sure that one LRT in Toronto would actually be completed. Today, I'm pretty sure two LRTs will happen.

Now you complain? Please.

Today confirmed that the project is actually happening after years of silence and delays. It could've easily been delayed into the far future like Sheppard or cancelled.

The fact that it's so close to construction start (1 year as opposed to 3 years for Hurontario) makes it seem likely that construction will actually start as announced next year and by the next elections in 2018 it will have been under construction for 2 years and beyond the point of no return.

To me, last week I was only sure that one LRT in Toronto would actually be completed. Today, I'm pretty sure two LRTs will happen.
Agreed. At least the people who want something are getting something.

There is funding in place and confirmed timelines.
There's been full funding in place and (various) confirmed timelines since 2009.

Had they announced the RFQ was being released, maybe it would be progress. This is just further delay of both LRT lines. It's a travesty.

What silence? Last year they announced it would open in 2020, and had public meetings to boot. Lots of delays.

Now you complain? Please.
Who wouldn't complain. They just announced another 1-year delay of Finch to 2021, and at least 4 years for Sheppard to 2025.

I'm surprised anyone is pleased about this.

I agree with nfitz. I don't care if they raise my taxes or put tolls on the road. I would just like sheppard eglinton and finch done when they were supposed to be and as long as they were supposed to be. Anything else is disappointing. Now if they said it was all coming plus a DRL then I would be celebrating.

Back