News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.6K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 530     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

That's been like that since at least December...
It was still that way a month ago when I had a look at it, but never shot it since it was the same when I last shot it.

Traffic is pretty bad around humber college station, the stretch of road is incredibly damaging to cars and buses, and they took it down to 1 lane.

I didn't see anything in the CLC's about reducing the lanes on highway 27

.No different than what you find in Europe or the US with many platforms having nothing at all on them.

This is why our capital costs are going up. Those structures are massive for the (small) amount of weather protection they provide. Just look how many different building trades are needed to erect them - there’s our productivity deficit.

If we are accepting the common “minimal weather protection” as the norm, then a few traditional bus shelters would save a lot of money. Two workers and a pickup truck can deliver them. Conversely, if we are demanding structures with that much steel and concrete and conduit per linear foot…. then they ought to be built to maximise their benefit.

- Paul

This is why our capital costs are going up. Those structures are massive for the (small) amount of weather protection they provide.

If we are accepting the common “minimal weather protection” as the norm, then a few traditional bus shelters would save a lot of money. Conversely, if we are demanding structures with that much steel and concrete and conduit per linear foot…. then they ought to be built to maximise their benefit.

- Paul

I concur. I don't have difficulty with spending extra $$ for weather protection or amenities or aesthetics (to some reasonable limit). But, if we're going to do that, I want effective weather protection, drinking fountains/vending machines/washrooms, and something as close to 'objectively' attractive as one can manage.

To spend the extra dollars and achieve next to none of that is, at best, wasteful.

I concur. I don't have difficulty with spending extra $$ for weather protection or amenities or aesthetics (to some reasonable limit). But, if we're going to do that, I want effective weather protection, drinking fountains/vending machines/washrooms, and something as close to 'objectively' attractive as one can manage.

To spend the extra dollars and achieve next to none of that is, at best, wasteful.

Hey, Here on UT, mentioning the need for public washrooms in the context of transit stops is pretty close to trolling ;-)

The picture with all the exposed conduit was the one that triggered me. With a bus stop, you need one contractor to grade and pour the concrete pad. And then you call the bus shelter builder and they say “We will be there on Wednesday…. Thursday at the latest” - and the job is done. Whereas, coordinating ironworkers and electricians and concrete trades and who know how many more….. and building contingencies into the schedule in case any of these din’t show up and the schedule slips…. It takes a project tech to track it all. The complexity and overheads and time required to do the job expands, let alone the simple cost of materials and labour.
It will look nice, but we should meep it simple. If we find we need better shelters, retrofit them down the road.

- Paul

Hey, Here on UT, mentioning the need for public washrooms in the context of transit stops is pretty close to trolling ;-)

Ahem, ............ washrooms are bieng added to Osgoode Station and Pape Station as part of the O/L project already.

Of note, the TTC has quietly changed its policies on washrooms and now wants them built into ALL new or deeply retrofitted stations.

Trolling can pay off..... ;)

If we find we need better shelters, retrofit them down the road.

In the case of fixed rail projects, you pretty much need to determine the width of any platform and, of course, the choice to go side or island right at the beginning of the process. Likewise, running any lighting, heaters, cameras, or vending machines requires laying electrical conduit under any concrete/paving etc during reconstruction, digging that up to add it later would be costly.

Sure, we could install something more modest in scale initially and actual heaters or vending machines could wait, but the 'plugs' for them can't.

You also need the ability to support w/e ultimate structure you want. So I'm not sure there's a great deal of advantage to skimping.

A simple structure would've been the best, a YRT style bus stop shelter or the early VIVA bus shelters would work nicely into the LRT line and offer far more comfort while waiting for the next train than what is currently installed.

PoitrasIndustries_MobilierUrbain-_YorkViva.jpg

YorkUniversityVIVA2.jpg

Ahem, ............ washrooms are bieng added to Osgoode Station and Pape Station as part of the O/L project already.

Of note, the TTC has quietly changed its policies on washrooms and now wants them built into ALL new or deeply retrofitted stations.

Trolling can pay off..... ;)

In the case of fixed rail projects, you pretty much need to determine the width of any platform and, of course, the choice to go side or island right at the beginning of the process. Likewise, running any lighting, heaters, cameras, or vending machines requires laying electrical conduit under any concrete/paving etc during reconstruction, digging that up to add it later would be costly.

Sure, we could install something more modest in scale initially and actual heaters or vending machines could wait, but the 'plugs' for them can't.

You also need the ability to support w/e ultimate structure you want. So I'm not sure there's a great deal of advantage to skimping.
Washrooms are long over due especially in the west end, let alone the system.

No washroom between Yonge and Kipling. Islington one went decades ago. Room at Bathurst for one.

When one has spent 30 minutes on a bus getting to a station and nature calls, no place to go inside or out of the station with up to 20 minute ride to a TTC station that has one.

April 16
Had a look at the line today and shot a few areas.

The 2 station buildings for Humber Station coming along nicely with the south more complete than the north.

Looking at hwy 27 trench work for the tracks, it all pour up to the station with rails missing, but on site to be place. What I saw for the trackwork more or less confirmed what I suspected for sometime that the rail is place in the grove concrete and to be grouted in place as there are no clips or plates in the grove at this time, unless they are drill in place during the insulations of the rail.

All the platform shelters are black keeping with ML love for black or close to it. Wrapping is all most of them that are in place.

Try to do a video from Westmore to Keele and have yet to look at it, It will having the camera moving all over the place between the weaving and rough road. Had a hard time trying to keep the camera in one position on the dashboard.

Still saying opening of the line will be Q1 or Q2 in 2024, with work being done by year end.

Biggest hold up going east was caused by TTC buses picking up or dropping riders off where there is no layby area. The other cause is by drivers making or trying to make illegal left turn right after they past that no left turn sign. Arrow is still bad going east well west is now moving freely. Where there is access to 2 lanes, traffic moves good, but this is Sunday, not a work day.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Normal and fast speed video

Not sure if this was mentioned/discussed on here. I was watching a video from Reece the other night and reading the some of the comments, one that stood out was that this line will be employing a block signalling system instead of ATC that will be used on the Crosstown. That and the TTC will be enforcing their antiquated stop-and-proceed operations over special trackwork on a 21st century modern LRT line :rolleyes:
If TTC does the stop and go on any switches on this line, time ML to tell TTC to forget that idea and run the line like others systems in NA and Europe. Have ridden far too many LRT lines with switches and not one of them stop or slow down for them.

If TTC wants to do the stop and go, time to replace them now as an service provider and get someone who can run it right from day one. Still got time to another operator for the line.

Back