News   Apr 18, 2024
 476     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 3.7K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.2K     4 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

Definitely a mistake. They weren't designed for Finch either. We ended up with 48m trains instead of 60m.
The 48m rigs can be extended to 60 by inserting a fifth section. This was the plan for dealing with ridership growth in Ottawa, which now seems like a distant dream.

I'm surprised that they sold that many of them.
It's almost as if you have no idea what you're talking about here. As with the Flexity, the Citadis is an LRV platform. There's a huge variety of different trams based upon said platforms. Citadis trains (or Flexities, for that matter) often look entirely different depending where you are in the world. The Citadis trains you see here look nothing like the ones used in many other cities. Metrolinx simply bought the same design that Alstom was making for Ottawa because they panicked about how slow Bombardier initially was at building the TTC streetcars, nothing requires the trains to have this specific design that you hate so much. Metrolinx could have done what many other cities do and had a custom design done for Finch, but that's not the way the procurement happened, so they didn't, but it is possible to do with these LRV platforms.

Even in Toronto you can see an example of this, the Crosstown LRVs and the streetcars are both based on the Flexity platform, but are different trains, with different looks. You can do the same with the Citadis platform, it's not some concept unique to Bombardier.

They don't run on looks. Clearly there wouldn't be many sales if they did:

View attachment 433516
View attachment 433517
To be fair, Rio managed to make some nice looking ones (from the same link)
1666192309712.png

^If looks can kill, they probably will.... but for transit vehicles, looks are irrelevant. I don't know why enthusiasts get so wrapped up in them.

The only visual feature a Toronto transit rider wants to see are the two blue lights that mean, your ride is almost here and you will be out of the rain or snow in just a minute or two.

- Paul

^If looks can kill, they probably will.... but for transit vehicles, looks are irrelevant. I don't know why enthusiasts get so wrapped up in them.
If looks are irrelevant, why don't we all just live in commie blocks?

It's inconsistent to say that looks matter in building architecture but not in transit vehicles. They're publicly visible features of the city.

The only visual feature a Toronto transit rider wants to see are the two blue lights that mean, your ride is almost here and you will be out of the rain or snow in just a minute or two.

- Paul
I don't think enthusiasts alone get wrapped up in looks! The internet is filled with people complaining about having to ride old vehicles instead of the shiny new ones they see online. Those old vehicles being T1s and Orion VIIs which are wheelchair accessible and air conditioned just like their successors, and objectively able to do that job just as well as the newer ones.

It's inconsistent to say that looks matter in building architecture but not in transit vehicles. They're publicly visible features of the city.

The nuances we debate between models of LRV's are no bigger and no smaller than the differences between many city buildings.

To the average person, a fairly modern looking tram is a fairly modern tram.

To most of us, a row of typical Toronto condo towers and a "commie block" are pretty much the same as well.

- Paul

I agree with him, I don't hear many ppl complain about transit vehicles, as long as they're clean n spacious, everything else is just eye candy.

There are two flavours of Citadis... the Urban Tramway model, and the LRV model. The Urban model has the same module pattern as the Flexity with C1-N2-B0-N2-C1 (C1 = Cab with 1 door (and bogie), N2 = Non-bogie middle with 2 doors (Flexity is one), and B0 = Bogie middle (no doors)) whereas the LRV model has longer modules and is C2-B2-D1-C2 (C2 = Cab 2 doors, B2 = Bogie 2 doors, and D1 = Double-bogie 1 door). Because of the longer modules and irregular pattern of doors and bogies the whole vehicle looks messed up.

Last edited:
I don't think enthusiasts alone get wrapped up in looks! The internet is filled with people complaining about having to ride old vehicles instead of the shiny new ones they see online. Those old vehicles being T1s and Orion VIIs which are wheelchair accessible and air conditioned just like their successors, and objectively able to do that job just as well as the newer ones.
I think normies care about interior much more than exterior appearance.

Back