News   Apr 15, 2024
 870     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 639     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

Personal experience with the Bombardier Flexities we have. Its probably more related to the slow speeds that they run at though.

The TTC Flexities are running at lower voltage, which demands higher current, and in the areas where they can't run pantographs they're sucking that current through a very thin straw. I vaguely recall reading somewhere that they were power restricted when running on the trolley pole.

Reactions: rbt
The TTC Flexities are running at lower voltage, which demands higher current, and in the areas where they can't run pantographs they're sucking that current through a very thin straw. I vaguely recall reading somewhere that they were power restricted when running on the trolley pole.
The Flexity Outlooks (downtown legacy network) are at 600V, while the Flexity Freedoms (Line 5) and Alstom Citadis Spirits (Line 6) are at 750V.

Do your homework first before commenting.

Or it's actually just that the light rail line is slow (as many have long suggested) and faces issues buses don't - it will simply not be competitive with an express bus.
The LRVs benefit from an exclusive ROW, all door boarding via 5 doors and wider stop spacing. I bet a kidney (someone else’s kidney) that the FWLRT will be substantially faster than the existing bus

The Flexity Outlooks (downtown legacy network) are at 600V, while the Flexity Freedoms (Line 5) and Alstom Citadis Spirits (Line 6) are at 750V.

Do your homework first before commenting.

Huh? That's what I said, that the TTC ones are lower voltage. But thanks for being hateful, it brightens up my day.

Or it's actually just that the light rail line is slow (as many have long suggested) and faces issues buses don't - it will simply not be competitive with an express bus.

LRT vs express bus is an interesting comparison, and the outcome should depend on the time of day. During the peak hours, the roads are congested, then the LRT should be winning because the express buses are stuck in traffic while the LRT uses its own lanes.

Late evenings, there is no congestion and the express bus may be winning if it has fewer stops than the LRT.

But LRT vs regular bus? LRT should never lose, it has fewer stops than the regular bus, and the benefit of dedicated lanes. LRT should be equal or slightly faster than a regular bus off-peak, and much faster during the peak.

If LRT is slower than the regular bus, it means someone totally messed up the LRT operation.

On the topic of bus/LRV speed. Just going on a casual observation over the last few months (and could very well be wrong), but the Flexity Outlooks appear to have gained some hefty acceleration. These beasts are booking it when before they seemed a tad sluggish to start. I'm genuinely wondering if there's been some software patch allowing increased acceleration.

It is 100% the case - it's been stated by Metrolinx / Crosslinx countless times
Metrolinx has said a lot of things.

The line will be operated by the TTC however, and their impression is that they will be operating the line on the surface section with stops on-demand.

All underground stops will be operated as a subway, with each train stopping and opening all doors.

Dan

Quick pic of the islington bridge work

31773D66-1E6B-4778-ACA4-8D0046E32E6D.jpeg

Since Ford would never support Sheppard LRT, extending line 6 east to Don Mills or Kennedy should be considered.
How does that help? Sheppard LRT is planned now McCowan to ... somewhere further east in Scarborough.

How does extending Finch West only to Kennedy relate to that?

How does that help? Sheppard LRT is planned now McCowan to ... somewhere further east in Scarborough.

How does extending Finch West only to Kennedy relate to that?
Sheppard LRT is dead and the subway extension probably won't happen over a decade.

Sheppard LRT is dead and the subway extension probably won't happen over a decade.
The (2019?) agreement between the city and the province put the city in the driver's seat for the Crosstown East extension further into Scarborough.

In 2020, the city expanded the scope, to include a segment on Sheppard East to McCowan and the new Line 2(and eventually Line 4) station.

1639802949863.png

The (2019?) agreement between the city and the province put the city in the driver's seat for the Crosstown East extension further into Scarborough.

In 2020, the city expanded the scope, to include a segment on Sheppard East to McCowan and the new Line 2(and eventually Line 4) station.

View attachment 370013
Yet new legislation under the Ford government disallows Toronto planning any transit.

Back